Ponderment.

Fel
Weavespinner

Ponderment.

Post by Fel »

I've been pondering the upcoming new book challenge after I finish Demon's Bane and do more work on Subjugation. I've built a framework of a book, but I'm kinda reluctant to go through building another world, lol. You're talking a heck of a lot of work to build an entire world from the ground up, and I'm debating taking the wuss-out option and simply basing it in Sennadar...yet I don't want any bleedover. I want the new book to be independent.

My current concept is this: isolate the continent of Myradon in such a way that it has absolutely no contact with the "outside" world (which is entirely doable), and do the project as a stand-alone book using an entirely new plotline, but based on Sennadar rules. Myradon would have unique aspects and societies/professions, like the Chuken, but the overall system of Sennadar would still be there, and the hints of Sorcery and Druidic magic would be hidden behind the leaves.

A little feedback would be appreciated. You guys know if it'd wash, and I trust your judgment...despite how insane that would usually be.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Ponderment.

Post by michaelsuave »

The problem with seperation, if you build it in Sennadar, is that the main gods will be the same. You would need to either have different names for the gods, and a different interaction basis, or some sort of seperation, say the God of gods wanted his own bastion on sennadar and so outlawed any interaction with Gods on the seperated continent. OR, if you populate the continent with a variety of creatures, say from creatures who came to sennadar before it was cut off from the other etherial realms, that could give you some more individuality.

Or, :shock: you could have magic be focused around these little balls, that people carry around. When they press a button on the ball and throw it at a creature, it snatches up the creature. Then you train the creature and battle other trainers! Yeah, thats a great idea! and the best creature of all is a were-pikachu... um wait, :shock: I think somebody already did that one. But hey, got'ta catch them all. :wink:
~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:I've been pondering the upcoming new book challenge after I finish Demon's Bane and do more work on Subjugation. I've built a framework of a book, but I'm kinda reluctant to go through building another world, lol. You're talking a heck of a lot of work to build an entire world from the ground up, and I'm debating taking the wuss-out option and simply basing it in Sennadar...yet I don't want any bleedover. I want the new book to be independent.

My current concept is this: isolate the continent of Myradon in such a way that it has absolutely no contact with the "outside" world (which is entirely doable), and do the project as a stand-alone book using an entirely new plotline, but based on Sennadar rules. Myradon would have unique aspects and societies/professions, like the Chuken, but the overall system of Sennadar would still be there, and the hints of Sorcery and Druidic magic would be hidden behind the leaves.

A little feedback would be appreciated. You guys know if it'd wash, and I trust your judgment...despite how insane that would usually be.

Fel, I'd say use Sennadar, because then later on, if you feel that a cross-over story, and or maybe just a wandering Were-Cat (be it any of them, and not Tarrin) they could be added without much trouble.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

I agree with Hearly, and would just like to add that it will be much easier if you eventually, after the inevitable success of the book :P, deside to publish the Sennadar series just as additional info.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Fel wrote:I've been pondering the upcoming new book challenge after I finish Demon's Bane and do more work on Subjugation. I've built a framework of a book, but I'm kinda reluctant to go through building another world, lol. You're talking a heck of a lot of work to build an entire world from the ground up, and I'm debating taking the wuss-out option and simply basing it in Sennadar...yet I don't want any bleedover. I want the new book to be independent.

Considering they didn't stumble upon Sha'Kari for 5,000 years minus the Sorcerers who originally knew about it, it's very possible.

I don't think you've ever listed the whole sect of gods, and you could take a small tribe of humans that were being hunted to death by the Goblins/goblinoids who prayed to their deity to take them away. Deity did so, and further more seperated the very large island/small continent from the rest of the world with the permission of Aiyse, as long as he has followers.

Thus, you have a group of people who's basic worship includes the deity but not everyone is devout to him.

And then you have the world of Sennadar to base it in, but unless Aiyse allows it, no one even knows. It's even one of those things burned out of the Weave so that the Priests of whatever were chasing them can't auger it out.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

How about basing it on Pyrosia where you have virtually an entire world and history to play with? With Sennadar, you have all the gods, elder and otherwise so at least some overlap will be necessary. The story could be anytime after Tarrin gets the Demon Lord evicted or killed. Or you could start way back when the Dwarves came to Pyrosia ... but perhaps that is another tale that remains to be told. <grin>
--
Jim/Were Fan
http://ilcomps.com
Baen Book free SciFi CDs:
http://www.ilcomps.com/Baen/Baen_index.htm
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Spoiler
Show
Were_Fan wrote:The story could be anytime after Tarrin gets the Demon Lord evicted or killed.
Who says he's going to succeed?
This is the last Tarrin story, after all.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Spec8472 wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Were_Fan wrote:The story could be anytime after Tarrin gets the Demon Lord evicted or killed.
Who says he's going to succeed?
This is the last Tarrin story, after all.
Um, not even funny to joke that way. you evil evil man! don't give fel ideas! :evil: I HATE stories with bad endings. :x :x
Spoiler
Show
and Tarrin not living in the end would be the worst ending ever! Especially after all that he's gone through.
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Actually, I have come up with a way to use the Sennadar universe, put all the races in it I want, and STILL isolate it from the rest of the world.

You see...Myradon is the Lost Continent...and I mean LOST. It exists as a pocket dimension INSIDE the material plane of Sennadar...a world within a world. Within a world. ;)

It's actually 2 small sub-continents side by side.

There's going to be halflings, elves, dwarves, all the basic races in this one, as well as a couple of unique ones. All of them are long-lost survivors of the Blood War, trapped on Myradon when the earth-shattering magicks that were thrown around during the Blood War ripped the double continent out of reality and shunted it into a pocket dimension.

When the Elder Gods closed all the gates, they also sealed the only passage between Sennadar and Myradon, isolating it from the rest of Sennadar. Myradon has been completely cut off from its parent universe for five thousand years, and it has developed its own culture, its own unique races, and its own history.

But some have managed to cross into Myradon...and then they discover that it's a one way trip. Grand Master Chu is one such crossover, who brought the arts of the Chuken to Myradon.

And of course, some of the book will explore that isolated nature, as the main character learns the truth of the world he always thought was, but turns out was never.

There will be some cameos as well. It seems for the last couple of centuries, this ghostly figure of a tawny-haired woman that's twice as tall as any woman and with FUR on her arms and legs has been seen all over Myradon, walking or jogging or running, but immaterial, nothing but a phantom that appears for only a moment, then vanishes. This of course would be Triana, passing close to Myradon as she travels between dimensions.

And I can always reunite Myradon with Sennadar some time in the future...which could always be another story. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Cool. Yep, that sounds like it would work out great. Can't wait to buy it... but please don't drop subjugation and demons bane. pretty please with a Lochar on top :wink: ... :shock: um, sorry, guess that isn't very appetizing. :P Guess I will have to go back to the cherry on top. :) mmm, cherries...
~Michael 8)

Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

Definitely use Sennadar. 5 reasons

1- Its already there: An amazing detailed and coherent universe. Why waste it on only one story? Saving your creative fluids for the plot and character buildings

2- The amazing background that is available for free to all future readers with the Tarrin's series. This is something that you can even market to your editor. they will immediately see the marketing potential as well as your already established reader base.

3- Future tie-ins. (we are alredy salivating at the possibilities) as well as further building of this already impressive universe.

4- Speed. You don't have to change anything. not the name of the gods. or anything else major. There's nothing in the tarrin's series that say we know everything about those gods and their aspects.

5- Personal pleasure. Your own inspiration seems to run strong in this universe. Subjugation is just as great, but your writing is more impressive in the Sennadar Universe, and you seem to find more pleasure in writing in it.
Starstryker
Sorcerer

Post by Starstryker »

Yes...Yes... all good ideas, looking forward to whatever Fel decides to write.....

meanwhile....lurking in the depths of Starstrykers mind....
Spoiler
Show
BOOK !!!!....GIMME !!! GIMME !!!... ME WANT BOOK NOW !!!!
"Do Not Meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are Crunchy and taste good with Ketchup"

"Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out of it alive anyway"

Bumper stickers to live by ^
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Starstryker wrote:Yes...Yes... all good ideas, looking forward to whatever Fel decides to write.....

meanwhile....lurking in the depths of Starstrykers mind....
Spoiler
Show
BOOK !!!!....GIMME !!! GIMME !!!... ME WANT BOOK NOW !!!!
Preach it brother starstryker! preach it! :D

Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

That sounds good Fel. When you put up the first post I was a wee bit on the scheptical side, agreeing with the others that changes would be needed but with that expliantion you blew all my scheptisism out of the water. Great explination and it sounds like its going to be a good story. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it :D!
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

How 'bout telling the story of the Empress of the Urzani? The one who became Spyder?