Demon's Bane, Chapter 5 (Spoilers, obviously)

Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Demon's Bane, Chapter 5 (Spoilers, obviously)

Post by Lochar »

This is going to be a hell of a terror campaign. I do wonder though, exactly how Tarrin's going to look at the end of it?

Literally one half demon-like, one half Deva?

Now there's a physcial representation of the dicotomy of Tarrin's existance.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Bodak
Novice

Re: Demon's Bane, Chapter 5 (Spoilers, obviously)

Post by Bodak »

Very interesting if he keeps this up he will have a paw off ultimate darkness and dark blood red claws and on the other bright gold and golden claws cool.
There is not an end without a begining.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

I wonder... where Tarrin keeps second Demon amulet (the one not put in braces)?

Hmmm... Demon's might put kink in Tarrin's plans... by simply leaving Crossroads, at it would start to be too dangerous for them there.

By the way, simply taking Demon soul amulets doesn't make IIRC changes in Tarrin appereance, and after taking forst Deva soul amulet neither taking Deva amulet. Using Demon's or Deva's powers might (and probably will) change Tarrin's looks some.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

It didn't the first few times, but now that Tarrin has actively used their powers, it might be able to make changes quicker to him. He's going to have to reach into the Abyss with his left paw, the one already 'attuned' to the demon power.

Or, maybe he can cancel out the physcial changes to himself by reaching for demon amulets with the Deva arm, and vice versa?

Support my brother.
schloaty
Novice

Post by schloaty »

Quote:
The amulet hanging from his wrist would be the only one he would take if he could manage it, because if he did that again, he might be able to break free, and be pulled in. And if that happened, he had no idea what would happen to him.

Fel,

I think you mean "because if he did that again, he might not be able to break free,"
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

You have to wonder though, what would happen if he reached in with the wrong paw? Used the "good" paw to take a Demon's amulet and the "evil" paw to take a Deva's amulet? It might just be that if he does that, it cancels out the effects of the other, returning him to normal?

Or it could be that the opposite powers would fight to destroy the other...a kind of civil war all in Tarrin's arm?

One thing is for sure, Tarrin is going to really make a lot of people both afraid and angry at him...and people do strange things when charged with such emotion.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Fiferguy wrote:One thing is for sure, Tarrin is going to really make a lot of people both afraid and angry at him...and people do strange things when charged with such emotion.
Not like it's going to make any real difference. Unless a God brings a physcial manifestation to the Crossroads, they don't bring enough to the table there to matter. Demons either, unless a few of balor come after him at once.

Planetar, Solar, balor, and sheer stupidly high numbers are about the only things left in Crossroads that can actually bother Tarrin anymore. It's actually a good thing that this is the last book, because too much more powerful and we end up with the DBZ syndrome, where everyone's so powerful it actually doesn't matter anymore.

Support my brother.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I think that the GoG will step in after Tarrin takes care of the Demon Lord and just let Tarrin live...maybe in a dimension of his own? Who knows...Personally, I think the GoG has already interferred, but I could be wrong. I think that Mother Wynn and the little Arakite girl are either servants of the GoG, or Mother Wynn IS the GoG. Who else could've wiped the memory of EVERYONE on Crossroads that they had ever been there?

And I agree. Much more powerful, and we have a DBZ situation. But one thing is for sure...Tarrin will triumph. Now we just have to annoy Fel into giving us more chapters so we can find out HOW... :twisted:
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

The problem with that, is Tarrin just wants to go HOME. Not make another home in a new dimension. Remember what he said to the snake lady in Crossroads, that'd he step on a few necks to let her come visit.

Support my brother.
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Fiferguy wrote:You have to wonder though, what would happen if he reached in with the wrong paw? Used the "good" paw to take a Demon's amulet and the "evil" paw to take a Deva's amulet? It might just be that if he does that, it cancels out the effects of the other, returning him to normal?

Or it could be that the opposite powers would fight to destroy the other...a kind of civil war all in Tarrin's arm?
Let's just hope that the powers balance out and "fix" Tarrin's arms, hands and claws. The soul amulets might be destroyed if Tarrin reaches in with the "wrong" arm. Let's hope that if this happens that it is demon soul amulets that go up in smoke.
One thing is for sure, Tarrin is going to really make a lot of people both afraid and angry at him...and people do strange things when charged with such emotion.
I think a lot of gods, Deva, demons and people are already afraid of and angry with the mortal god.

$10,000 question: can Tarrin take the One's soul?
--
Jim/Were Fan
http://ilcomps.com
Baen Book free SciFi CDs:
http://www.ilcomps.com/Baen/Baen_index.htm
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Lochar wrote:It didn't the first few times, but now that Tarrin has actively used their powers, it might be able to make changes quicker to him. He's going to have to reach into the Abyss with his left paw, the one already 'attuned' to the demon power.

Or, maybe he can cancel out the physcial changes to himself by reaching for demon amulets with the Deva arm, and vice versa?
The Deva can change shape as they did in the battle with Tarrin. Maybe Tarrin can use Deva power rather than sorcery to change.
--
Jim/Were Fan
http://ilcomps.com
Baen Book free SciFi CDs:
http://www.ilcomps.com/Baen/Baen_index.htm
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

And every time he uses the soul amulet of the Deva, he allows it greater influence over him, requiring him to use the demon amulet next to counter balance it.

Those amulets are not pretty trinkets that once tamed are always tamed. Each use will require Tarrin to re-establish his domince over it, and every time it will be harder, as he'll have to also shout down the growing influence of both demon and Deva already inside of him.

With overuse, he could end up falling to the power of the Deva or demonic influence inside of him while he was overwhelming the spirit of the amulet again.

Unless of course, he manages to turn the two on each other, but Ch. 5 already said the 'voices' were ignorant of each other.

Support my brother.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

It also says that he has to fight both off at the same time. I think that repeated use of the soul amulets will get harder and harder. As he has more, he has to fight off more of them to make them work...

It'll be interesting to see how our Mortal God gets around this... he is the Mi'shara after all... :twisted:
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Yes, but the ability of the Mi'Shara Tarrin, or at least the only ability we've seen, deals with magical ability. Also, as long as Tarrin is a technical god, he isn't the Mi'Shara.

So once he drops the divine spark and becomes a mortal Mi'Shara again, he might be able to drop off the corruption, just not yet.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

I just wonder what would happen if Tarrin was to use Deva and Demon powers simultaneously (e.g. both Demon and Deva teleport)...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")