EWPub Gone?!?!

Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

EWPub Gone?!?!

Post by Fiferguy »

So I just tried to check out EWPub, and it seems that the site has been taken over by an iRPG? Anyone know what happened?

Fifer
Schuy
Initiate

Re: EWPub Gone?!?!

Post by Schuy »

I'm looking at the site at the moment and don't see a problem.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Hmm... Must have been a temporary glitch. It seems to be back up for me too. :oops:
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Someone was probably playing with DNS entries.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Yeah, that's what I figured. The server that EWP on is known for stupid stuff like that, so I figure that's all that happened.
sOmeone
Initiate

Post by sOmeone »

It wasn't a server host problem, it was an apache problem. Julian added a vhost, but forgot to change its name from the default. (ewpub) So http://www.ewpub.org was pointing to the wrong vhost.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

That would certainly explain it. I love Apache... :D
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Fiferguy wrote:So I just tried to check out EWPub, and it seems that the site has been taken over by an iRPG? Anyone know what happened?

Fifer
Well, it is fixed now. However, a few months ago, a lot of authors apparently went elsewhere and then Nighthawk(?) turned the site over to someone else. I check EWP every few to several days now since that is about how often a new story appears.

--
Jim
sOmeone
Initiate

Post by sOmeone »

Were_Fan wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:So I just tried to check out EWPub, and it seems that the site has been taken over by an iRPG? Anyone know what happened?

Fifer
Well, it is fixed now. However, a few months ago, a lot of authors apparently went elsewhere and then Nighthawk(?) turned the site over to someone else. I check EWP every few to several days now since that is about how often a new story appears.

--
Jim
Net Wolf turned over the site to Julian.

and I just recently added a rss feed, so checking the site should be easier
http://ewp.ewpub.org/php/rss2.php
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

sOmeone wrote:
Were_Fan wrote:

Fifer

--
Jim

Thanks. My memory for names is bad and that's why I had the (?) after the name I mentioned. EWP was doing well several months ago but then new stories dropped to every few or even several days. The last few days have been getting more stories so maybe things are getting better. With over 9 free Baen CDs and lots of new stuff on SOL, I think I'll be able to keep busy while waiting for Tarrin's next (mis) adventure. :-)
--
Jim
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

Were_Fan wrote:
sOmeone wrote:
Were_Fan wrote: Well, it is fixed now. However, a few months ago, a lot of authors apparently went elsewhere and then Nighthawk(?) turned the site over to someone else. I check EWP every few to several days now since that is about how often a new story appears.

--
Jim

Thanks. My memory for names is bad and that's why I had the (?) after the name I mentioned. EWP was doing well several months ago but then new stories dropped to every few or even several days. The last few days have been getting more stories so maybe things are getting better. With over 9 free Baen CDs and lots of new stuff on SOL, I think I'll be able to keep busy while waiting for Tarrin's next (mis) adventure. :-)
--
Jim
Has Julian bothered to come up with a site design that's _not_ almost as bad as Literotica?
sOmeone
Initiate

Post by sOmeone »

dstar wrote:
Were_Fan wrote:
sOmeone wrote: Net Wolf turned over the site to Julian.

--
Jim
Has Julian bothered to come up with a site design that's _not_ almost as bad as Literotica?
The site design is coming along pretty nicley. However both Julian and I are both horrible at designing things graphicaly. So if you have any sujestions please let me know.
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

sOmeone wrote:
dstar wrote:
Were_Fan wrote: Thanks. My memory for names is bad and that's why I had the (?) after the name I mentioned. EWP was doing well several months ago but then new stories dropped to every few or even several days. The last few days have been getting more stories so maybe things are getting better. With over 9 free Baen CDs and lots of new stuff on SOL, I think I'll be able to keep busy while waiting for Tarrin's next (mis) adventure. :-)
--
Jim
The site design is coming along pretty nicley. However both Julian and I are both horrible at designing things graphicaly. So if you have any sujestions please let me know.
A good start is to make sure it works in links, and in graphical browsers where javascript is turned off.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

sOmeone wrote:The site design is coming along pretty nicley. However both Julian and I are both horrible at designing things graphicaly. So if you have any sujestions please let me know.
Can I offer just one suggestion?
Forget about the graphics - especially so if you know your skills arn't up to scratch (take a look at the logo on the top of the forums to see my total lack of skill in this department)

Concentrate on getting a good solid HTML design.
Use CSS for layout and formatting, and wherever possible make the site work without Javascript, Java, Flash, or other plugins.

Doing this gives you a good basis for a design that's both accessible to those with visual disabilities, and those using browsers different to the ones you use.

CSS Zen Garden demonstrates this concept really well.
All the designs on the site are using the same HTML, with all layout and styling done via CSS. The most detailed designs certainly wern't easy to implement. Maintaining cross-browser compatability on some of those more complex designs can be very difficult too.

Without a good graphic designer, you won't get something like CSS Zen Garden in terms of actual images - but you can achieve quite a lot without resorting to graphics.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Spec8472 wrote:
sOmeone wrote:The site design is coming along pretty nicley. However both Julian and I are both horrible at designing things graphicaly. So if you have any sujestions please let me know.
Can I offer just one suggestion?
Forget about the graphics - especially so if you know your skills arn't up to scratch (take a look at the logo on the top of the forums to see my total lack of skill in this department)

Concentrate on getting a good solid HTML design.
Use CSS for layout and formatting, and wherever possible make the site work without Javascript, Java, Flash, or other plugins.

Doing this gives you a good basis for a design that's both accessible to those with visual disabilities, and those using browsers different to the ones you use.

CSS Zen Garden demonstrates this concept really well.
All the designs on the site are using the same HTML, with all layout and styling done via CSS. The most detailed designs certainly wern't easy to implement. Maintaining cross-browser compatability on some of those more complex designs can be very difficult too.

Without a good graphic designer, you won't get something like CSS Zen Garden in terms of actual images - but you can achieve quite a lot without resorting to graphics.
What he said ....

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)