Forum niceties: the wish list!

General announcements about the forum and its related services.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Forum niceties: the wish list!

Post by Spec8472 »

Lochar wrote:Now, my only question is, is there a way to use bbCode or HTML to grab my number of posts, subtract it from 10,000 and then use it as part of my sig? ;)
Hrm.<i>Thinking...</i>

I'm sure that it could be done.
Posts until I get crowned as official Spammer: 9,361 (And counting...)
something like

Code: Select all

[math]10000-$user('Lochar').Posts[/math]
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

I don't think [math] is an actual BBCode, is it?

Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Lochar wrote:I don't think [math] is an actual BBCode, is it?

No, it's not - I'm just suggesting it could be added as BBCode, but it opens the way for all sorts of exploits if not handled correctly.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:wru "Nooooooo, not HIM!"

I want my tagline under my avatar back. ;)

Can this be done Spec?
Fixed-kinda.

I'm still looking for a mod, or someone with enough experience in PHPbb to tell me what to edit, to add "Interests" (or another - new - field) under the avatar.

But for the moment, your "Rank" is the "Noooooo, not HIM!".
Hallmist
Sorcerer

Post by Hallmist »

Another to add to the wishlist:

being able to click on a person's name within a thread and have it bring you to their profile. Currently you can click on their name on the thread list if they started a post, or go into the memberlist.

Usefull for Fel because then you can look at the last few of his posts to see if he's done/said anything interesting.

*edit*

hey, there's a little profile button. that works.
whoops :oops:
Scientists dream it up.
Engineers make it work.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Hallmist wrote:Another to add to the wishlist:

Being able to click on a person's name within a thread and have it bring you to their profile.
There is "Link Poster's Name To Profile" and "Author Hyperlink" (or solution here) mods for phpBB (both doing the same I think).
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

Lochar wrote:
Spec8472 wrote:Done :)

Visitor: 0
Novice: 1
Initiate: 50
Sorcerer: 100
Katz-dashi: 150
Da'Shar: 250
Sui'Kun: 500
Mi'Shara: 1000
Child of Niami: 10000
Now, my only question is, is there a way to use bbCode or HTML to grab my number of posts, subtract it from 10,000 and then use it as part of my sig? ;)
Suggestion: How about sticking a rank in there at about 5000 named Demi-God
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

afrigeek wrote:Suggestion: How about sticking a rank in there at about 5000 named Demi-God
Maybe... :) At the moment, nobody is near 1,000 posts - once that mark is passed, I'll look at it again :)
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Even I still need 300+ posts. Drat.

You know, finding out what Tarrin did about the Mi'Shara though, makes me wonder which would be more powerful? Mi'Shara or Demi-god? *grin*

Support my brother.
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

Considering that as a Demi-God he can almost match the power of a younger God on the physical plane since the God can not fight him on the other planes, I would say comparing how long he lasted in the fight against the one as against how long he would have lasted against val if he hadn't used the firestaff, I would imagine that demi-God is certainly more powerful.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

He also didn't know the truth about what being a Mi'Shara meant at the time either. So he was instead using a brute force application of his abilities, instead of skill.

Had he fought Val now, knowing what a Mi'Shara truly is, I have no doubts something different would have happened.

Support my brother.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Shouldn't these last two posts really be under a different Topic?

J-Man5
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Well this forum was dead, so I thought I would post in it for no other reason than that it was here, collecting dust. Um, if we are doing a wish list for the forums, can we have personalized titles? :?: Its as good as any other idea I've come up with for posting here... which sadly, isn't all that good. :cry:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

michaelsuave wrote:Um, if we are doing a wish list for the forums, can we have personalized titles?:
This thread was created just after migrating from YaBB to PHPbb.

As for a wish-list, sure... go add to it... Unless it's something thats "omg, like, wow", and easy enough to install, it probably won't get done though... Unless someone else is volunteering?

As for personalised titles... sure, they can be done.
It has to be done by an admin though - and I've only done it for a few people (as Lochar and MommyDoom can vouch for)
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

michaelsuave wrote:Well this forum was dead, so I thought I would post in it for no other reason than that it was here, collecting dust.
Just felt the need to point out that doing things such as that for that reason is considered what you call 'Necroposting'.
From Wikipedia:
"Necroposter," is a term used in online/internet discussion boards. It descriptes a person who revives older Internet discussion board threads (approximately older than two months) and adds a post to it, thereby, "bumping," the old thread to the top of the discussion board priority list and subsequently gaining the attention of the other discussion board users. Mostly the new post that revives the thread is not very helpful or interesting. The overall term for this concept is, "thread necromancy."
That being said, you did post something relevant, so I don't think this would apply to you in this case ;).
A few things that I personally noticed this board not having are a list of predefined avatars and more than one board style; different color/graphic schemes for the various stories from Fel comes to mind. Other things would be more/different smileys, or what I've seen elsewhere, a karma system (user rating through other users), though I personally am not too fond of such. Seen too much abuse of such a system, by people just randomly smiting (negative karma) others just for the heck of it.

Quin
Just rambling, nothing to see here.