Lost & Found

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Lost & Found

Post by Shadowhawk »

knbnnate wrote:Was the main character named Cat? Sounds a little bit like the Joan D. Vinge series that went Psion, Catspaw, Dreamfall... I really love that series. I wish she would continue the story.
Great series. But Cat was telepath only, not telekinetic.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

Nope thats not it but thanks,,,,, any one else?
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

I seem to remember a story like that.
it's a series . in one of a book, he gets home to find a cactus like alien in his apartment? and his job is about teleporting people and stuff to different worlds?
Damn I read it just 2 years ago, and already forgot the title and authors.
I think it's out of print.
if it is it, and it gets back to me, I'll be sure to post it.

Anyhow, I am reading a story right now called Time by John Wales on SOL and it's awesome so hurry up guys and check it out. Besides that, I'd

appreciate it if you could list books or stories you know
where:

1_ the main character becomes immensely rich
I like reading stories of people building a fortune

or
2_the main character goes back in time or to another dimension and use his foreknowledge top become successful

I love those kind of plots. thanx

P.S working on a plan to clone FEL and put him to WORK . I already have the whip and chains and typing machines. All I need is for science to progress just a bit further, and we're in business
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Edengrave wrote:2_the main character goes back in time or to another dimension and use his foreknowledge top become successful
"Doing it all over" by Al Steiner - It's an erotic story (Definitely Not Safe For Work), but it's very well written (like all of Al Steiner's work), and it fits the request.
It can be found at http://www.storiesonline.net (Again, Not Safe For Work)
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Another erotic TimeTr story, where the main character uses the knowledge from the future to become rich and influental is "Twice Lucky" series by Joe J., also on StoriesOnline (also known as SOL). ("Rewind" by Frank Downey is also TimeTr, but is more about missed opportunities than making rich; it is Romantic story).

But this thread is for Lost & Found, for asking about the story you have read, but lost the bookmark, or didn't bookmark at all, or forget the title and author (if it was deadtree version).

There are Links to good reading... (if you are searching for online reading) and Good Books (Sci-Fi) (if you want recommendations for Sci-Fi books). Or start a new thread, for example titled "Reading recommendations" or "Looking for something to read", where you can post requests (and give recommendations). You might also try IRC channel [url=irc://irc.newnet.net]#sennadar on irc.newnet.net[/url].

P.S. I really wonder what people find in such blatant Mary Sue like "Time" by John Wales ;) :P
P.P.S. Please mark erotic stories [links] as such.
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

thanx guys, but I read all of those. strangely most of thos kind of plots are found at SOL. there is a book called replay that is a bit like that, but apart from that I don't remember a dead tree version of those plots. hmm OK Shadowhawk...willl do. next time 8)
I almost forgot it was erotic. it's not that part I am interested in anyway.
I like a good story, and there are some good stories at SOL.
Marie Sueish? lol hmmm You do know that only counts for fandom right? the term doesn't really make sense when an original story is concerned. but I get your meaning. I seem to remember previous posts where you complained about Tarring getting too powerfull too :)
What can I say, I like power, and powerfull characters, when they are not crudely written. people will like what they like man. :?
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Try Earthbound (free e-novel), Edengrave.
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

Eden

that sounds correct... PLEASE try and remember or find me an author or title thanks much

John
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
TStyle
Sorcerer

Post by TStyle »

There was a story I read a while ago and I can't seem to find it again.

The summary is something to the effect of there is a magician who does some "James Bond" like spy stuff for the government on the side. I believe his code name is "The Phoenix," anyways, he gets contracted to do some checking on some mysterious happenings that have to do with Stone Henge. (sp?)

The main character is quasi-imortal, meaning he can die but just rises up again hence the code name.

Edit: He also has real magical ablities, but likes to hide them behind "magic tricks" - the stage magician stuff he does.

I'm pretty sure I read it on FictionPress.com, if anyone has seen it on there let me know.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

I have a question for the esteemed readers out there. I read a book back in the 80's about human on Earth that had been conquored by a race of aliens. These aliens didn't seem to commincate with any other races and seemed to share a hive mind. But there was a human who was some sort of genetic chameleon a flux or joker card that evolution stacked the deck with. He could mimic any type of genetic profile of something he had touched. I can't remember either the title or the author. Any ideas?

Thanks,

J-Man5
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Animorphs?
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

No predates that series. Was a single book without a universe or series tie in. I can still picture it in my minds eye. Plus the animorphs only change into one type right? This guy could change into any type of lifeform as long as he had touched it.

J-Man5
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

Well as usual the lost and found posts sparkle memories in my mind, but I can never for the life of me pinpoint the author/and title. annoying.

J man. I have a book in mind that fits. the hero is first on earth as a teacher, and believe himself to be the last remaining vampire, mutated. then he gets arrested by the alien conquerors, who suspect some of his abilities, then he escapes the spaceship cell by taking the form of an alien predator. Along the way he meets another shapeshifter. and learn to shapeshift better. if this is not it, tell me a bit more about the story I might be able to help.

Miser I still haven't remembered. sorry.

Tstyle look in fictionpress.com There's an original story called the phoenix that fits your parameters if memory serves
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

Edengrave wrote:Well as usual the lost and found posts sparkle memories in my mind, but I can never for the life of me pinpoint the author/and title. annoying.

J man. I have a book in mind that fits. the hero is first on earth as a teacher, and believe himself to be the last remaining vampire, mutated. then he gets arrested by the alien conquerors, who suspect some of his abilities, then he escapes the spaceship cell by taking the form of an alien predator. Along the way he meets another shapeshifter. and learn to shapeshift better. if this is not it, tell me a bit more about the story I might be able to help.

Miser I still haven't remembered. sorry.

Tstyle look in fictionpress.com There's an original story called the phoenix that fits your parameters if memory serves
Madness Season, by C. S. Friedman
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Thanks edengrave and dstar. That was it. Am headed to the used bookstore to look for it now.

J-Man5