f.A.Q. for Sennadar?

rick
Sorcerer

f.A.Q. for Sennadar?

Post by rick »

Maybe we should start a FAQ page for Sennadar.What do you all ( Fel in particular)think of the idea it would save people asking and answering the same questions over and over.
My mind is a terrable thing to leave empty, It comes up with weird things to fill the empty places.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: f.A.Q. for Sennadar?

Post by Lochar »

Are there actually enough questions like that to warrent a FAQ?  I kinda enjoy answering those questions, since it does keep the forum lively.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Mmm, and most people just skip the FAQ anyway. They think it's faster and easier to ask in the forum. In this forum, it might even be true...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

guardian_mike wrote:Mmm, and most people just skip the FAQ anyway. They think it's faster and easier to ask in the forum. In this forum, it might even be true...

Could always just make a FAQ Thread, and a board admin can sticky it...
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Most boards i've been to has something like that, but it never stopped they people wanting easy answers without work. But then, people wouldn't be here if they couldn't read, so things might be different here.
Feanuonn
Initiate

Post by Feanuonn »

The problem might be that it could be possible to accidently (sp?) give spoilers to a new reader who has not gotten to the last published work and might go to a FAQ immediately upon arrival.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

feanuonn wrote:The problem might be that it could be possible to accidently (sp?) give spoilers to a new reader who has not gotten to the last published work and might go to a FAQ immediately upon arrival.
I recently talked to Lochar about a similar subject.  I kind of wanted a Timeline.  It took me like 20 minutes to find the fight between Elke and Ulger the other day.  All I could remember was it was "after going to Amazar and before Kerri gave birth".  However, Lochar pointed out the same thing to me ... that a timeline would basically be spoilers also.  Bummer.

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

feanuonn wrote:The problem might be that it could be possible to accidently (sp?) give spoilers to a new reader who has not gotten to the last published work and might go to a FAQ immediately upon arrival.
One could always add (spoiler) or something like this to the thread subject (if the FAQ or the Timeline, or the Cast/Characters would appear here on Sennadar Forum as a sticky topic).
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
rick
Sorcerer

Post by rick »

It was just an idea ,I didn`t want Fel to have to stop and answer the same questions every few months as new readers found his work and wondered the same things we did. Between collage ,real-life and us asking for a new chapter every week I kinda fogured the poor guy had enough on his plate.
My mind is a terrable thing to leave empty, It comes up with weird things to fill the empty places.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Maybe two FAQ's... One regular, spoiler-less one, with general knowledge and popular questions, and one with all the rest, for the people who has read it all.
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

shadowhawk wrote: One could always add (spoiler) or something like this to the thread subject (if the FAQ or the Timeline, or the Cast/Characters would appear here on Sennadar Forum as a sticky topic).
the problem with that is that what is a spoiler for one person is no spoiler for another...
kinda "extreme" example: mentioning that tarrin becomes a werecat and how is a quite big spoiler for someone who has read the first 10 pages, but is absolutely harmless for someone through with the firestaff series
pick other examples of your liking along the timeline.

one possible evasion is dividing the FAQ into chapters...like:
FAQs if you have already read "Tower of Sorcery"
FAQs if you have already read "The questing game"
and so on..

although kinda labor-intensive, i must admit...

greets
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

taltos wrote: one possible evasion is dividing the FAQ into chapters...like:
FAQs if you have already read "Tower of Sorcery"
FAQs if you have already read "The questing game"
and so on..
How about now?

http://spec8472.thepsyco.com/sennadar/c ... bb/YaBB.pl

Q&A About the Firestaff Series
Q&A About the Pyrosian Chronicles
Q&A About Fel's Other universes

Since the Q&A by nature, will contain spoilers about other parts of the books.

I think that if it works something along the lines of: if someone asks a really interesting/poiniant/useful question, and it's been resolved, etc -- A Mod/admin can move it over to the relevant books Q&A section.

Should help keep the "General" forum clean, but not make it over-moderated. Whilst keeping each post in the forum about a specific book/area/chapter/topic.

*shrug*, it's all subject to change based upon feedback/usage/etc.

'Course, Fel has the final ruling on it all... :)
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

spec8472 wrote:I think that if it works something along the lines of: if someone asks a really interesting/poiniant/useful question, and it's been resolved, etc -- A Mod/admin can move it over to the relevant books Q&A section.
Should not those threads/sections be locked, i.e. posting available only for board admins (and maybe selected members)?
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

nah, why?
as is now everyone can set his/her question-thread into the right subfolder..so no one has to move them afterwards..
isn't it?
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

taltos wrote:As it is now everyone can set his/her question-thread into the right subfolder... so no one has to move them afterwards...
isn't it?
I miss something here. Do the Q/A subfolders are for ordinary users to ask questions about the books; or are it for the moderators, admins, designed members to move the Frequently Asked Questions from the General subfolder, so it wont be asked again, again and again (like the question about Tarrin and sling); or maybe both?

If it is only second (for admins and like only) the Q/A subfolders (threads) should be locked. If they are meant also for us, ordinary members (and guests) the threads should not be locked (as they are now).