Conviction, chapter 4 [spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Conviction, chapter 4 [spoilers]

Post by kyli »

Hmmm..... Is transmutation a microkinetic ability? I'm probably going in to the realm of impossible here but i'm thinking of someone capable of microkinetics linked to a CBIM and creating heavy metals that can't be replicated. Transmutation is just rearranging subatomic particles and pyrokinesis is just basicly vibrating those same particles I think. I'm not an expert so correct me if i'm wrong.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

kyli wrote:Hmmm..... Is transmutation a microkinetic ability? I'm probably going in to the realm of impossible here but i'm thinking of someone capable of microkinetics linked to a CBIM and creating heavy metals that can't be replicated. Transmutation is just rearranging subatomic particles and pyrokinesis is just basicly vibrating those same particles I think. I'm not an expert so correct me if i'm wrong.
Isn't the technology they are using in those replicators transmutation, the ability to take one material and turn it into another? Well, if energy and matter are interchangable they might just use lots of power and not matter that gets turned into something else with the same mass.

I can see replicators getting more advanced and being able to replicate more complicated materials. I can't see any generation willing to sit down and transmutate tons of matter in form of industrial production. He'd go crazy from it.. if he even could transmutate enough matter to.. well... matter. ;-)
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

I'd guess that once you can manipulate electrons then electrical and magnetic effects are possible. Plus if you can change electron energy states then light manipulation is achievable. Even if you can't warp space enough to hide from sight you could blanket the area in light pollution and effectively "blind" your opposition. Or overwhelm them with toxic EM radiation. With ultimate control maybe illusions...

Pyrokinesis plus magnetic fields might equal plasma generation and manipulation. A very dangerous combination.

Once you get to quantum effects almost anything is possible. Changing matter (into something weaker) might be more energy efficient than trying to tear it apart with telekinesis, if possible.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Jason when merged with Cybi can kill simply with Telekinesis and able to warps space to allow capital naval weapons to be reaimed. Biogenic computers can easily strengthen and augement even minor skills. Computers can network, so I can see the generations able to pool their abilities while communing with them.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

MartinK wrote:
kyli wrote:Hmmm..... Is transmutation a microkinetic ability? I'm probably going in to the realm of impossible here but i'm thinking of someone capable of microkinetics linked to a CBIM and creating heavy metals that can't be replicated. Transmutation is just rearranging subatomic particles and pyrokinesis is just basicly vibrating those same particles I think. I'm not an expert so correct me if i'm wrong.
Isn't the technology they are using in those replicators transmutation, the ability to take one material and turn it into another? Well, if energy and matter are interchangable they might just use lots of power and not matter that gets turned into something else with the same mass.

I can see replicators getting more advanced and being able to replicate more complicated materials. I can't see any generation willing to sit down and transmutate tons of matter in form of industrial production. He'd go crazy from it.. if he even could transmutate enough matter to.. well... matter. ;-)
When I mentioned transmutation, I was just grasping at some way the power could really be useful on a large scale. The problem is, I don't know the limits of microkinetics. Yes, replicators can transmute the lighter elements but its limited in that it can't produce the heavier elements or alloys. So I was wondering if they could create the heavier elements with microkinetics faster and more efficiently then they can mine/refine them. Just grasping at straws.

How about ripping matter apart at an atomic level and possibly creating a self-sustaining nuclear reaction to destroy ships. I'm not even sure if it is scientifically possible to do that but I'm grasping at straws again.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

There are these stories where nano tech has been used for construction purposes. They could combine this with replicator technology and enhanced and augemented biogenic assisted telekinesis. These three systems could allow truly advanced replicator technology. They already have one of the most advanced systems around. They are able to create an organic material that can act as rations, as well as replicate materials to sell on a market.
.S.A.M.K.M
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

if were talking about replicators here an fairly simple idea i have not seen before :
use an food replicator to make soil base and bacteria food
mix it with powdered or crushed rock soil of the terraformed planet
add engineered fast acting bacteria to combine the two.
that should result in a lot faster terraforming process than the carbon infusion process.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I can see mobile terraforming replicators, moving around a planet speeding up its eventual living status. I think that Mars and Venus could be used as test so speed up their changes. I think they might already have a form available but at a lower tech level. I bet the Karrines science could make a better version. The terraforming projects in earth are happening due to the presence of an already living planet and a stargate already being present. The introduction of large scale gate and catapult use might, mean there are far more systems where it is worth terraforming one of the planets or moons there. Easier terraforming would help limit some races need to expand so much, instead just develop their existing territories.

Many locations would be tricky to terraform due to radiation. Kimdori have a whole ecosystem that feeds on it, so they could create life to deal with the radiation, that AIDS in the alterations of the planet.

The new Karrines nano spider tech, might allow it to be easier to survive on planets that have conditions beyond or outside those suited for the house
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Fel bringing up Pyrokinitics makes think that we will see it introduced very soon. Maybe in this book. Let's look at some headlines..... "Grand Duke Jason Karinne burns down his house!!!!!" Lol. In all seriousness, I think Zach will be the one who starts all the panic. :D
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Here is an epic image for the house, the duke in full armor and the armor is wreathed in flames striding into battle.
.S.A.M.K.M
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

The image for the Legion was originally the phenix. Phenix is known to travel by fire so Jason can play all kinds of dastardly evil plots around fire and the Legion.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

The next big problem for the KMS looks to be the need for bigger power plants or a big improvement in their current singularity plants. These new drives, getting CMS/active armor on the bigger ships and maybe getting recharge times up on some of the weapons will require a next gen boost. Or, worst comes to worst, new ship designs. Maybe there is more to learn in these harmonics?
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Hyperspace is a highly energetic region, so I wonder if they could draw power from it. A way to supplement their energy demands, even if they don't recieve a lot.
The power armor is designed to deal with weapon scale energy, could it be altered to allow the creation of power sources that create high levels of energy? There is a fine line between energy production and a bomb. A power source that has this tech in it, can safely produce higher than normal levels of power? Many such systems have safeties in built to prevent overloads.
.S.A.M.K.M
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

expedient wrote:The next big problem for the KMS looks to be the need for bigger power plants or a big improvement in their current singularity plants. These new drives, getting CMS/active armor on the bigger ships and maybe getting recharge times up on some of the weapons will require a next gen boost. Or, worst comes to worst, new ship designs. Maybe there is more to learn in these harmonics?
I disagree. The CMS has been developed to use little power and does not need any sort of big power source to run. It also takes the enemy scanning power and directs it against said scan. So, it won't matter in terms of power plants on a ship.

The new drive might need lots of power. On the other hand, a battleship is build to fight in a battle and thus has lots and lots of weapons. Those weapons naturally were taken into count when they decided how the power plant should look. And if you are moving in ultrafast mode through hyperspace, those weapons don't need any power at all. There is nothing to shoot at there after all, so all that power might as well support the new drives.

Why do you think they should need new power plants? They are already using that drive in a real ship and it works. They should already have long since noticed any lack of power issues.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

Yes BUT their weapon recharge times are a bit much; even the command ships like Aegis need's something like a 1-2 minutes to power the GRAF cannon at full power and while firing GRAF at anything more than 20% they can't power any other weapons. That is just not good enough.

Their new heavy pulse cannons which they have specifically designed to put on heavy battle ships for killing moon ships has a recharge time of 30 secs, also not good enough.

I been a big believer that KMS ships are bit under-powered for the number of weapons on them. There are two things you need to strive a balance in a ship design, number of weapons and rate of fire. If you put lots and lots of weapons on ship; but can't fire them all simultaneously at an opening alpha strike, then you need to improve the power on your ships. You need to inflict the maximum amount of weapon damage in the opening moves of a battle.