GAHHHHHHHHH

Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

GAHHHHHHHHH

Post by Lochar »

Note to self.  It sucks when you're computer won't boot up after putting in a new sound card.  So then I take it out, and it STILL won't stay booted.  It boots up for about 15 seconds, and then drops.  No video or anything.  Unfortunately, it's still down, which means my site is also.  Gotta figure out why.  Will post again once I do.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
tyx2
Novice

Re: GAHHHHHHHHH

Post by tyx2 »

Thank God -
  no not that you got prob's
i was trying to get on and could not start to think one of them prom's i keep saying i am going to fix just decided to make me but it was you.............

well srry you got prob's but umm i dont

lol hope all goes well
Feanuonn
Initiate

Post by Feanuonn »

dumb question but....... is it giving you POST codes?
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Post Codes?  Don't think so.  No beeps or anything like that, but I don't get any video.  It stays on now, but I can't ping it either, so I don't know.  I know it's not up, but on looking at my monitor plug in, it's missing a pin, and I'm afraid that I got a pin stuck in my video card. :-(

Support my brother.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

lochar wrote:it STILL won't stay booted. It boots up for about 15 seconds, and then drops. No video or anything.

My BIOS shuts my PC down if the CPU fan fails -- no warning, just straight off after about 5 seconds...

This was rather frustrating to diagnose when I installed a new heatsink+fan (which happened to have an adjustable speed control for the fan). It took me around 3 hours to figure out that the speed control was low enough for the BIOS to figure that the fan had failed...

I guess it's just another thing to check: The CPU fan is spinning properly.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Yeah, I've gotten the "stays on" part fixed. Fucked up my monitor quite well too. Bent a pin.  SNAFU.  I just hooked up my computer to another monitor.  Still Fubared.  I'm afraid I'm gonna have to buy a new video card. BLEH
Last edited by Lochar on Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Support my brother.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

lochar wrote:Fucked up my monitor quite well too. Bent a pin. SNAFU. I just hooked up my computer to another monitor. Still Fubared. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to buy a new video card. BLEH

Hehe... I just replaced my monitor -- nice shiny Hyundai Q17, 17" LCD Panel :)
I also bought a nice shiny new video card to go with it (ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 256M RAM -- and the best bit: DVI out for my LCD panel) --- but it doesn't work... (locks up when trying to log in, and just generally doesn't respond as it should)

The dealer I bought it from is blaming my motherboard  - an Abit AT7 ("the older Abit motherboards don't tend to work properly with newer video cards").

The GeForce4 MX works fine though, so I'm still using that...
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Man, that sucks. Just the kind of news i want before installing my new harddrive. Hope it's not going to work as a bad omen for me...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.