Inception Ch8 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Inception Ch8 [Spoilers]

Post by GBLW »

Is it just me, or does anyone else see that hyperspace catapult as a very effective weapon? Of course its use would depend on actual dimensional data and acceleration factors of the catapult, but just imagine if a series of large rocks were sent through the catapult on an interception course with the invading fleet. (Mass x Velocity = BIG BANG!)
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Rabblerouser
Novice

Re: Inception Ch8 [Spoilers]

Post by Rabblerouser »

So was I the only one wondering if all the information of sectors was relevant to the plot line as it just seemed to jam up the flow of the story?
As the explanation would be helped by a diagram then perhaps a condensed form would have been better such as: they found signs of life in sector x which is about 3 o’clock from point y (perhaps terra, keris or centre of Galaxy.) and how many days travel?

It might be interesting but the chapter would have flowed better without it and allowed the plot to advance as I found myself trying to stop an figure it out (something I am unsure I have done correctly)

I am wondering about why keeping news about both twins secret? People might think it’s some sort of military alliance etc but somebody will leak the news and then the cover up is the problem. Keeping the Generations away will arise somebodies suspicions.
AgCOtter
Katzh-dashi

Post by AgCOtter »

Opening up a new oyster, there are soooo many things that can happen. Great new chapter sir.

As far as using the hyperspace catapult as a weapon, I would think that would depend on if the trajectory of the rocks launched by the catapult could be changed, and of course the range to where the rock would appear. Right there and right now, in your face, would be a problem, but given a decent amount of time, anyone near the breakout point could maneuver away from uncontrolled projectiles.
"Let's be Very Careful out there people!"
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

AgCOtter wrote:Opening up a new oyster, there are soooo many things that can happen. Great new chapter sir.

As far as using the hyperspace catapult as a weapon, I would think that would depend on if the trajectory of the rocks launched by the catapult could be changed, and of course the range to where the rock would appear. Right there and right now, in your face, would be a problem, but given a decent amount of time, anyone near the breakout point could maneuver away from uncontrolled projectiles.
Ah, but I'd imagine that the ships traveling in hyperspace have an avoidance system so they don't hit any solid objects when they are traveling faster than the speed of light. Rocks wouldn't have that avoidance system and besides, how would the invaders avoid something moving faster than any possible means of detecting that object? That rocks still have mass and they still have velocity, so physics still applies and the kinetic energy would be applicable.

As for where to aim them, the Kimdori have already explained that the invading fleet must pass through a specific region of space and rocks are cheap, so you simply throw a whole lot of rocks at that region, timing the attack to arrive at or near the time the Kimdori expect the fleet to arrive there.
K Pelle aka GBLW
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

But, will the rocks STAY in hyperspace without an engine to keep them there?

arargh
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

arargh wrote:But, will the rocks STAY in hyperspace without an engine to keep them there?

arargh
Sure they will, until they hit something solid. To quote the old saw, "An object in motion tends to remain in motion." That's what keeps comets, asteroids and even planets moving in relation to the sun - nothing but momentum. In fact gravity is the only force keeping any of our solar system's components from flying off into space and momentum is the only force keeping them from plummeting into the sun.

Now I have a 'little' bit of writing to do while I'm feeling good enough to do it, then a hockey game or three to watch for the rest of the day, so excuse me if I don't respond for a day or so. :wink:
K Pelle aka GBLW
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Hyperspace has different rules. I don't think a 3 dimensional object can remain in hyperspace without something to hold it there any more then multidimensional energy can. The energy from a torsion explosion for example escapes back into hyperspace pretty quickly once released.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

But, will the rocks STAY in hyperspace without an engine to keep them there?

arargh
No, they won't. 3-dimensional objects can't stay in hyperspace unless something keeps them there.
So was I the only one wondering if all the information of sectors was relevant to the plot line as it just seemed to jam up the flow of the story?
I've been meaning to explain the sector mapping system for a while, and yeah, even I admit that it got a bit long. Call it trying to be as detailed as possible explaining something not easy to explain in a paragraph. But, despite the length of it, I thought it turned out well enough.

And as the story progresses and you see more and more of the galaxy, I figured people might like knowing where things are in a cartographic sense. It doesn't happen in this story, but the galaxy opens up big time in the later arcs.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Fel wrote:<snip> I've been meaning to explain the sector mapping system for a while, and yeah, even I admit that it got a bit long. Call it trying to be as detailed as possible explaining something not easy to explain in a paragraph. But, despite the length of it, I thought it turned out well enough.

And as the story progresses and you see more and more of the galaxy, I figured people might like knowing where things are in a cartographic sense. It doesn't happen in this story, but the galaxy opens up big time in the later arcs.
Any chance of seeing this diagrammatically? I'm sure the explanation made sense if you could see the diagram, but I couldn't visualize from the description. Just a basic layout over a generic spiral galaxy, with a marker or three.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Fel wrote:No, they won't. 3-dimensional objects can't stay in hyperspace unless something keeps them there.
Aw, nutzzz :lol:

Sorry to harp on it, but as an old time Heinlein fan I loved his idea of throwing rocks in a space battle (Used in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.) :wink:
K Pelle aka GBLW
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

GBLW wrote: Sorry to harp on it, but as an old time Heinlein fan I loved his idea of throwing rocks in a space battle (Used in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.) :wink:
Yes, but that was in normal space. Basically a huge coil gun with guided rocks.

Haven't read 'Moon' in years - maybe it's time again. :)

But, something very similar was used near the end of "John and Argent" by cmsix, IIRC. Projectiles from hyperspace, that is.
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

GBLW wrote:
Fel wrote:No, they won't. 3-dimensional objects can't stay in hyperspace unless something keeps them there.

Sorry to harp on it, but as an old time Heinlein fan I loved his idea of throwing rocks in a space battle (Used in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.) :wink:

Already have that. Rail guns. The "rocks" are just made of metal. Think of them as shaped and condensed metal composite asteroids if you wish!

:D
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

GBLW wrote:

This tactic was used in the first Consortium ambush. Kimdori towed asteroids behind them at very high speed then "bowled" them into the Consortium wave formations.

Low tech does not mean ineffective. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Fel wrote:This tactic was used in the first Consortium ambush. Kimdori towed asteroids behind them at very high speed then "bowled" them into the Consortium wave formations.

I did remember that, but was too dang lazy to go back through the whole series to look it up for a direct quote. (Sorry about that. :oops: )
Besides I was tied up doing my income tax over the last couple of days to spend the time. (My bad, doing them this late since the deadline is tomorrow, but I just got my last T4 yesterday! And before anyone points out the date and says I'm filing late - I'm Canadian. :wink: )
K Pelle aka GBLW
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

GBLW wrote:
Fel wrote:This tactic was used in the first Consortium ambush. Kimdori towed asteroids behind them at very high speed then "bowled" them into the Consortium wave formations.

I did remember that, but was too dang lazy to go back through the whole series to look it up for a direct quote. (Sorry about that. :oops: )
Besides I was tied up doing my income tax over the last couple of days to spend the time. (My bad, doing them this late since the deadline is tomorrow, but I just got my last T4 yesterday! And before anyone points out the date and says I'm filing late - I'm Canadian. :wink: )
I won't say you're late, but aren't there laws about companies sending you the required documents fairly quickly?
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com