Music (Contains mild spoilers for Subjugation)

michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Music (Contains mild spoilers for Subjugation)

Post by michaelsuave »

Fel wrote:Well, let's see...when I wrote the chase scene, I was listening to a mix of Marilyn Manson, choice tracks from the soundtrack to Mortal Kombat, and Rob Zombie.

So, there's your soundtrack. ;)
That interesting... for some strange reason I had just taken out the mortal combat soundtrack cd and was listening to it when I re-read chapter 19. Cool! :D
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Has anyone tried to reread chap 19 while listening to Hotel California to see if anything links up in a significant way? (For those that don't know, obvious Family Guy quote) :twisted:
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fiferguy wrote:Has anyone tried to reread chap 19 while listening to Hotel California to see if anything links up in a significant way? (For those that don't know, obvious Family Guy quote) :twisted:
Nope, but Honestly, when Jason Bitchslaps her, I keep thinking in my Head Prodigy's song Smack My Bitch up..
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

That's funny... I hear Toby Keith's "How Do You Like Me Now?" when he slaps that Trillane witch...
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Oh, and for generic "writing" I tend to listen to laid back stuff: Enya, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, the B-52's, that kinda stuff. Sometimes I like some variety, but nothing really hard, like Fatboy Slim, Depeche Mode, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, C&C Music Factory (longtime favorite), Jane Child

Then I have the "hard" tier, music with inherent anger or energy, which is perfect for fight scenes: Korn, System of a Down, Marylin Manson, Rob Zombie, AC/DC, Metallica, Disturbed, Staind, The Soundtracks to Mortal Kombat and The Matrix movies (all three), 2 Unlimited, etc. etc.

I guess it's not entirely right to say I don't like country. I like music that conveys mood, has an underlying meaning or conveys an emotion or attitude. To me, most Country music is devoid of this. It has no energy. It's just...sound. It lacks this quality, a quality that most other music forms possess. There are SOME country songs that do have a sense of presence, and some of them are downright fun or funny, like Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy, which I like very much. I also like that blasphemer of country music, Cowboy Troy and a few other country artists.

Hard rock and dance music, and some classical, convey the feeling of action or energy. Other kinds of music convey other concepts, like contemplation, contentment, anger, fear, beauty, wonder, and happiness. This is the kind of music I like.

If it has no feeling to it, I probably won't like it. If it has too much negativity, I won't like it either...which constitutes just about all modern rap. Old rap from the era of M.C. Hammer and early Run DMC was good. Modern gansta "gang ho murder kill pigs pimp my drugs and money" rap just sucks.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I've found that some. Country music is more story music. Songs that tell a tale. Sometimes happy, sometimes sad. I like it.. not all the time, but I like it. :)
Deeb
Sorcerer

Post by Deeb »

I can just hear the Benny Hill theme song every time I read the marines trying to keep watch on Jason in Chapters 1/2 .

http://thedeeb.com/dump/Benny_Hill_Show.mp3

:)
-Deeb
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Deeb wrote:I can just hear the Benny Hill theme song every time I read the marines trying to keep watch on Jason in Chapters 1/2

Hahahahaha. :D

Edit: A quick Google later, and it's a song called <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakety_Sax">Yakety Sax</a>
Last edited by Spec8472 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Fiferguy wrote:Has anyone tried to reread chap 19 while listening to Hotel California to see if anything links up in a significant way? (For those that don't know, obvious Family Guy quote) :twisted:
Well when I listened to it backwards... it told me that Fel was evil/satan... but I already knew that... :wink:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Texfire
Sorcerer

Post by Texfire »

Deeb wrote:I can just hear the Benny Hill theme song every time I read the marines trying to keep watch on Jason in Chapters 1/2 .

http://thedeeb.com/dump/Benny_Hill_Show.mp3

:)
Okay in a wierd coincidence, Chet Atkins did a guitar version of this called "Yakety Axe" which combines the Benny Hill theme with the country music theme. :)

Tex
Raijin
Talent

Post by Raijin »

I'm alittle upset nobody has netioned Stevie Ray Vaughn :evil:
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Fel wrote:Modern gansta "gang ho murder kill pigs pimp my drugs and money" rap just sucks.
ROFL! You gotta love those "pig killing" rap songs!
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

Fel wrote:Modern gansta "gang ho murder kill pigs pimp my drugs and money" rap just sucks.
You don't pimp drugs foo. You sell 'em, or give 'em to hos so they shut up.

Gangsta rap reminds me of the Gangstalicious episode of the Boondocks...
Gangstalicious: You know who my favorite rapper was when I was your age? Ice Cube.
Riley: That dude who does family movies? He was a gangsta rapper?
Gangstalicious: He was so gangsta I used to have dreams that Ice Cube would come to my house and kill my whole family.
The other good quote from that episode though...
Riley: Gangstalicious got shot.
Granddad: Again?
Riley: We got to do somethin'!
Huey: I got an idea - why don't we go to college so we don't end up like Gangstalicious?
So, provided that you realize that the words don't really mean anything (have you ever seen Dr. Dre's wife - she's definately not gangsta), you can appreciate the rythym. Well, you don't have to...but when the words don't mean anything - it's not really that different from MC Hammer.

The only shame of it is, the fans sometimes take it realistically. Not too different from metal heads killing themselves because Pantera told them to. Another thing, rap would be a much more positive influence on society if instead of rapping about nice cars and overactive consumerism, they rapped about investing in stocks or not playing the lottery too much.

I'm rollin thru the dealership, gonna sell my Lac. 4/15 is comin up, I gotta pay my tax. Yeah that song sucks too... :oops: