Okay, computer people, advise me.

Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Re: Okay, computer people, advise me.

Post by Fiferguy »

sOmeone wrote:
Barack wrote: Linux is only good if your time is worthless because you have to do the OS configuring We arn't just talkng about screen resolution.
Thats not exactly true, my laptop setup took as much time as an XP setup.
The problem with Linux comes when you try to install something that doesn't already have a driver written for it. I've run Linux desktops for years and never had any problems, but I was using hardware that had drivers readily available. I haven't run Linux in a while, but I imagine that support for it has only gotten better.
whyy
Talent

Post by whyy »

Ok first post on the forum for me. :)
belphanior wrote:I would definitely think hard about NOT getting separate Nvidia/ATI graphics and going with integrated Intel graphics instead.
Intel graphics use dramatically less power because there is no fast separate graphics chip+graphics ram.
.....snipped....
17'' for a pure desktop replacement (really hard to transport, but decent screen size)
15'' for a mixed mobile/desktop machine
14'' and under for true mobility (only slightly larger than a piece of paper, so it'll fit in most bags etc.)
I would say stay away from the Intel graphics. Why? I just bought a Dell 830 with the intergrated Intel graphics and it will not play most of the current games. Civ IV nope, CoH (like a dog)

Why? http://www.systemrequirementslab.com lists it as

You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family ()

Civ IV Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No

World of Warcraft will run in a basic mode. but for the "Suggested" from the company SRL gives
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 64 MB , You have - 137.0 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 0.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 3.0

Would suggest it if you run older games or are just going to surf and write but for anything current, I would say avoid.

As for the screen size I went with 15.4WUXGA The best screen Dell offered in a Medium size. Big enough I can travel and not strain using the normal laptop screen. If I want bigger I connect it to a LCD computer monitor for home use.

Hope this helps. :D
wolfy
Initiate

Post by wolfy »

Onboard video in my opinion is for a bare bones system. A Kiosk or browing only, or a emachine. If you want more than 1 moniter you'll need a video card. Not to mention any gamer or person who just wants some great performace will get a video card with at least a few hundred megs onboard. I personally prefere Nvida, previous gaming machine had a ATI card, never going down that road again just didn't have the power or speed.

You'll have to figure out whats right for you.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

What do you think about laptops presented in PC World - The Best Laptops Under $1000 article?
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
wildph
Katzh-dashi

Post by wildph »

You get what you pay for. Cheap will probably cause headaches and may end up costing more in the long run.

Spend a little more on a basic macbook with minimal memory. Load it up with memory (crucial.com 4GB?), and benefit from the goodness that is macosx.

Applecare is worldwide, buy into it, though iirc you should purchase it in the country you're spending most time over the 3yr period.

The shipped PSU is worldwide, apple can sell an international kit with various plug fittings to suit other countries.

Use neooffice (openoffice), not ms office.

If you absolutely have to have windows, say, for your fave rpg or some other obscure software, purchase a copy of parallels desktop to run windows alongside osx.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from vista. Someone at microsoft needs to be shot over that monstrosity. If you do buy an el cheapo pc laptop, insist on XP as the operating system.

XW