New Book

Uncle_Rand
Initiate

Re: New Book

Post by Uncle_Rand »

I don't understand why Rand isn't more popular. What with the choices he has to make, and knowing it's all leading to his death, I am extremely impressed by this character, especially since he has to fight his so called 'madness' nearly every step of the way.

Uncle Rand
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

That's the thing.  Rand knows where he's going, and even if his death won't be permanent, he's rushing right at it.  With Matt and Perrin, neither of them want what's been shoved at them, but will do what needs to be done.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Come to think of it, I like Nynaeve an awful lot also... and Siuan Sanche.  Strong female characters abound in this book and are so hard to find in modern literature.

Just my bit of sexism for the day.   ;D

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Guess that's another reason for liking Fel's books, eh? If Triana isn't a strong female character, i don't know who is. And she's far from alone.

Fel isn't afraid of using female characters like most other authors. It's rather refreshing. It gets to be tedious after 10-20 authors, none who can put females in leading roles, or let them get hurt.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
MommyDoom

Post by MommyDoom »

guardian_mike wrote: Fel isn't afraid of using female characters like most other authors. It's rather refreshing. It gets to be tedious after 10-20 authors, none who can put females in leading roles, or let them get hurt.
Whereas Fel let's them get their ARMS TORN OFF like Mist did to Singer when she became Tarrin's Mate and had to fight for it.

Axe, Chapter 23:
Tarrin didnt know it for a month after it happened, but the news travelled very quickly through the Were-cats that Jesmind had been unseated by Mist, and that Mist had not yet secured her claim on Tarrin.  Mist found herself besieged by females looking to usurp Mists claim and be the female in the house waiting for Tarrin to return, which they saw as the female who had earned the right to be his mate.  Shirazi, Singer, Trielle, Nikki, Rahnee, Shayle, Lora, and Marie all tried to take the house from Mist, and all of them were brutally reminded that Mist was, outside of Triana, the strongest, most ferocious female Were-cat alive.  She destroyed every challenge to her claim on the house very quickly, and after the last of them, Singer, hobbled off to lick her wounds, the rest of the females understood that theyd better let Mist have him, because she was going to start killing females who didnt.  The amount of injury she dished out on invading females became increasingly more severe, and after Mist tore off both Singers armsliterallythey knew that the next challenger wouldnt get out of Tarrins little meadow alive.

Makes you wonder if Fel has something AGAINST women!  (just kidding, Fel. ) ROFL.

MD
Last edited by MommyDoom on Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Yeah, well, it's one of the things that make him a great author. He's not afraid of hurting his characters, and he's not worried about what people will say about females getting hurt. He does not suffer from the old steriotype of 'women should not be hurt, and if they are, not badly'. They do get hurt, and as bad as men too. Something you don't see often, in books nor movies.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Also the point where Jesmind cut off her own leg to get away.  Considering that Mist probably beat Singer down first before ripping her arms off, I wonder if she wore down the regenative powers of the Were first.  If that's the case, then Singer must have been called Stumpy for at least a few hours until she could eat and regain her strength. LOL.  Unless Mist knew how to make it a magical attack like Triana did against Tarrin. :-)
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

I doubt there was any permanent damage, but getting your arms ripped off is a pretty effective warning, ne? ;)
Uncle_Rand
Initiate

Post by Uncle_Rand »

This brings up another qurstion: Who is everyone's favorite female main character in a book?

For me, I'd have to say Paksenarrion, written by Elizabeth Moon. She has to go through some pretty awful stuff but in the end is still standing. If you have never read these books, I suggest you get them.

Uncle Rand
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Yeah, she has. But i like Miranda and Mist better then her, i think. Let's see... It's hard for me to pick out jus one, or a few female characters like that. I read too much, of too many authors with too many characters just to be able to do that...

Umm, i think, mm, i can't remember her name any longer, but the main character in 'The Empires Daughter'. I think that's how it translates at least, and i might not have gotten the title compleatly right, it's been a while.

I have another serie who's name i can't remember as well, Daverron or something like that. There is a female character there, also a main character who's name i can't remeber.

Ah, well, it's going to come to me eventually, maybe. Or someone can put up name till i recognice one...
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

I'll throw a vote for Fisher in Simon Green's Darkwood novels (Blue Moon Rising, Guards of Haven, Swords of Haven, Return of the Blue Moon). Technically, I suppose she shares the lead with her husband, but it was refreshing to find a book where the girl can not only take care of herself, but she and her husband are enough in love not to cheat on each other.

There are others, but they fail to come to mind now that I'm away at college, and seperated from the majority of my bookshelf.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
MommyDoom

Post by MommyDoom »

guardian_mike wrote:
Umm, i think, mm, i can't remember her name any longer, but the main character in 'The Empires Daughter'. I think that's how it translates at least, and i might not have gotten the title compleatly right, it's been a while.
I don't suppose you are reffering to Mara of the Acoma in Raymond E. Feist's Daughter of the Empire and Servant of the Empire?

MD
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Possebly, i don't know about the English serie. In Swedish it's five books, i think. I haven't read them for almost 6 years, so i can't remember the names all that well.

Does those books have a mages guild that is compleatly omnipotent as far as everything goes? They stand above the law, i think they said. And sentinent Ants? Just to mention some of the odder things that stick out for the serie.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Oh, and most of their weapons are made of wood, as metal is close to nonexsistant there.
MommyDoom

Post by MommyDoom »

guardian_mike wrote:
Does those books have a mages guild that is compleatly omnipotent as far as everything goes? They stand above the law, i think they said. And sentinent Ants? Just to mention some of the odder things that stick out for the serie.
Yep, that's them.  It's the Riftwar Series by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts.  Did you read Magician and Magician's Apprentice?  They are the first 2 books in the series and set up most of the main characters (Mainly Pug or Milamber as he is called on Kelewan) on the home world.  Daughter/Servant of the Empire are set on Kelewan, the invading world, that sends armies through a Rift.  The sentient "ants" are called... hmmm... choja.  That's it.  Choja.  I love those books also and really admired Mara for her ingenuity.

MD