Links to Good Reading (Part 2)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
the_scot
Sorcerer

Re: Links to Good Reading (Part 2)

Post by the_scot »

FYI, Raptina has released a new chapter in her epic work The Chronicles of Rapina http://www.asstr.org/~rapina/stories.html. It's long and she usually only post one long chapter a year, but it's well worth the read.
zjoske
Initiate

Post by zjoske »

Has anybody read the Jack Reaper books by Lee Child? I just finished book 1 and I definitely recommend it.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

the_scot wrote:FYI, Raptina has released a new chapter in her epic work The Chronicles of Rapina http://www.asstr.org/~rapina/stories.html. It's long and she usually only post one long chapter a year, but it's well worth the read.
You know I love the Rapina saga. However the author is frustrating his/her readership to death. Last 3 or so years a chapter a year... a SINGLE Freak'n chapter a year. I mean COME ON! I know the author isn't getting paid. But its honestly not a bad story. He/she just might be able to get published. I mean it is better read than a good portion of the pile of crap that is self published on Amazon!
Last edited by Wolfee on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_scot
Sorcerer

Post by the_scot »

Wolfee wrote:You know I love the Rapina saga. However the author is frustrating his/her readership to death. last 3 or so years a chapter a year... a SINGLE Freak'n chapter a year. I mean COME ON! I know the author isn't getting paid. But its honestly not a bad story. He she just might be able to get published. I mean its better a good pile of crap that is self published on Amazon!
Wolfee, I agree. What's more is that it could easily be broken down into a series of books. At $.99 to $1.99, with the readers who I think would find it interesting, it could add up to some significant change. Ernest Bywater is helping me finish my book Shiloh (see SOL) so we can do something similar (though as a single story). If that's successful, we plan to do the same thing with Hawk and the Chipmunk, Gunslinger, and a re-write of Ashes to Ashes. I read recently about an Amazon/Kindle writer who was pulling in well over $100K a year.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

"the_scot" wrote:
Wolfee, I agree. What's more is that it could easily be broken down into a series of books. At $.99 to $1.99, with the readers who I think would find it interesting, it could add up to some significant change. Ernest Bywater is helping me finish my book Shiloh (see SOL) so we can do something similar (though as a single story). If that's successful, we plan to do the same thing with Hawk and the Chipmunk, Gunslinger, and a re-write of Ashes to Ashes. I read recently about an Amazon/Kindle writer who was pulling in well over $100K a year.
Holy cow! I should not be posting and talking on the phone at the same time. Couldn't even figure out what I was trying to say! Anyways, that is great news! Keep us all apprised, I'll do a positive review when its up on Amazon.

I wish more authors would self publish, especially the established ones. My favorite Baen authors come to mind. Several of them are BOOKs ahead on some of they're series and we won't get to read these books for another a couple of years because Baen publishes the the paper copies through another company. I LOVE kindle books. Now mind you certain series by certain authors I want a physical hardbound book no less. But for normal escapist, general fiction type stuff, save a tree, and just carry your phone or tablet. I've got the kindle app on my phone and tablet. As well as on my PCs. Good stuff all around.
samuelmichaels
Sorcerer

Post by samuelmichaels »

Wolfee wrote:
the_scot wrote:FYI, Raptina has released a new chapter in her epic work The Chronicles of Rapina http://www.asstr.org/~rapina/stories.html. It's long and she usually only post one long chapter a year, but it's well worth the read.
You know I love the Rapina saga. However the author is frustrating his/her readership to death. Last 3 or so years a chapter a year... a SINGLE Freak'n chapter a year. I mean COME ON! I know the author isn't getting paid. But its honestly not a bad story. He/she just might be able to get published. I mean it is better read than a good portion of the pile of crap that is self published on Amazon!
I, too, wish that Rapina (the author) would write and post new material quicker. But, alas, I've learned to accept that some things are not under my control, and be grateful for whatever she does post. In the meantime, I look for forums such as this to find other things to read.
Florida Friends wiki: http://floridafriends.wikia.com
Do-over stories: http://do-over.wikifoundry.com/
Spearfish Lake Tales wiki: http://spearfishlaketaleswiki.com
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Wolfee wrote:
"the_scot" wrote:
Holy cow! I should not be posting and talking on the phone at the same time. Couldn't even figure out what I was trying to say! Anyways, that is great news! Keep us all apprised, I'll do a positive review when its up on Amazon.

I wish more authors would self publish, especially the established ones. My favorite Baen authors come to mind. Several of them are BOOKs ahead on some of they're series and we won't get to read these books for another a couple of years because Baen publishes the the paper copies through another company. I LOVE kindle books. Now mind you certain series by certain authors I want a physical hardbound book no less. But for normal escapist, general fiction type stuff, save a tree, and just carry your phone or tablet. I've got the kindle app on my phone and tablet. As well as on my PCs. Good stuff all around.
Before jumping on that self publish bandwagon just think of what recently happened to one author that did that: Game Workshop complained to the "publisher" that the author used Space Marine in his work and they have that trademarked. The "publisher" caved and pulled his work and the guy got sued. The "Publisher" over a month later put his work back up, but the damage had already been done. The "publisher" did this even though Games Workshop had no case for trademark infringement in the US.
Posted by mcah on December 13, 2012

Today I got an email from Amazon telling me they have stopped selling Spots the Space Marine because Games Workshop has accused me of infringement on their trademark of the word ‘space marine’.
http://mcahogarth.org/?p=5075

Posted by mcah on February 8, 2013

Last night many of you alerted me to the reappearance of the e-book edition of Spots the Space Marine on Amazon. I hope you’ll join me in applauding Amazon’s decision to reinstate the book. Amazon and other major retailers have given me wonderful opportunities as an independent author, not just in e-books but in print and audiobooks. The stories I’ve sold to magazines launched my writing career but it’s the sales I make from these outlets that allow me to buy food for my family.

I continue to be gravely concerned by the lack of due process shown me. There’s a tradition of facing one’s accuser, and one of the worst parts of this ordeal was having no petition, no appeal, no right to defend myself and point out the absurdity of the claim against me. It seems that some may take advantage of this for a cheap legal ride, damaging someone’s income and reputation simply by firing off an email. This is wrong and nothing about Spots’ outcome will prevent it from happening again. I’m not sure how a change in that process might be effected, but until that happens we’ll have to continue to stand together.
http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10661

Lucky for this author that the Electronic Frontier Foundation took an interest in his case since his own personal lawyer wasn't getting anywhere with Amazon. That is the thing about having one of the old time publishers, they have the lawyers to fight what was (and is) a frivolous claim by Games Workshop or any other that tries this stunt.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

boballab wrote: Before jumping on that self publish bandwagon just think of what recently happened to one author that did that: Game Workshop complained to the "publisher" that the author used Space Marine in his work and they have that trademarked. The "publisher" caved and pulled his work and the guy got sued. The "Publisher" over a month later put his work back up, but the damage had already been done. The "publisher" did this even though Games Workshop had no case for trademark infringement in the US.
>>Snip<<
Lucky for this author that the Electronic Frontier Foundation took an interest in his case since his own personal lawyer wasn't getting anywhere with Amazon. That is the thing about having one of the old time publishers, they have the lawyers to fight what was (and is) a frivolous claim by Games Workshop or any other that tries this stunt.
Well, you got most of the information there, but it is a little twisted from what happened.
Actually the writer (M.C.A. Hogarth - who is a woman by the way and a single parent who could NOT afford a lawyer) was not sued - only told to cease and desist attempts to publish while supposedly using a trademarked name. Amazon was the publisher and they've always had a policy of "duck, run and cover your @$$ with both hands" when anyone even sneezes in their direction had the book back online very soon. It was back in a matter of a day or two, but only after EFF told them to "get out of the chicken coop before you lay another egg" and explained that the trademark had never been granted to cover all printed material - even in England - where it is was only meant to cover publications describing certain games.

The author has actually gained from the publicity and her sales are up, while GW has taken a $--t kicking online - if not yet at the point of sales - and is now known in GB as those Greedy Wankers. It seems that this is not the first time those clods at GW have tried this kind of $--t.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

GW is notoriously bad at pulling the trigger on suspected IP infringement. They don't really even take the time to investigate to see if they're being infringed upon. I mean really, Space Marines are not a new concept nor is it one that is likely able to be copywriten due to it's vast usage in many space faring odysseys. At one point I even heard of a suit they filed against Wizards of the Coast for their use of Orcs, High Elves and Dark Elves. (they were laughed out of court, the Judge was a Drizzsdt fan)
Aightaight
Initiate

Post by Aightaight »

I was reading the "Seen any good TV \movies or played any games lately ? " thread when I realized it's been ages since I watched a good anime. A quick search led me to Sword Art Online (broadcast in 2012). I watched the whole thing over a couple of days, then discovered that it is based on the first four of a much longer series of Light Novels. That's when I struck a gold mine: the Baka-Tsuki website which has English translations of several popular Japanese Light Novels.

I highly recommend the Sword Art Online series to everyone who has enjoyed Fel's stories
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Art_Online

Enjoy! :D
heustess
Katzh-dashi

Post by heustess »

In the "Where did you learn about Fel" thread, someone posted that they learned about him at http://topwebfiction.com/. I noticed that site was not in this thread about where to find online stories. I went to Top Web Fiction and the top story is a very cool super hero/villain story named Worm. http://parahumans.wordpress.com/. It is a huge story and so far very enjoyable.

I do not see any of Fel's work listed on Top Web Fiction. It would not take many people from the forums here voting for his stories to rise to the top of that list. I do not feel comfortable coming up with a description of his stories. If anyone is good with that, maybe you can add his stories there. It also allows for a banner graphic.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

heustess wrote:In the "Where did you learn about Fel" thread, someone posted that they learned about him at http://topwebfiction.com/. I noticed that site was not in this thread about where to find online stories. I went to Top Web Fiction and the top story is a very cool super hero/villain story named Worm. http://parahumans.wordpress.com/. It is a huge story and so far very enjoyable.

I do not see any of Fel's work listed on Top Web Fiction. It would not take many people from the forums here voting for his stories to rise to the top of that list. I do not feel comfortable coming up with a description of his stories. If anyone is good with that, maybe you can add his stories there. It also allows for a banner graphic.
Subjugation is listed on http://topwebfiction.com/topwebfiction.com/[/url]. But they have it listed as no longer online because they have not tried to update the links when I revamped http://www.weavespinner.net last year.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Poor Man's Fight by Elliot Kay came up on my recommended reading list.

Very entertaining read - lots of funny bits.

From there, I went and read Good Intentions, which was also very entertaining. (Note: Good Intentions while 'fantasy' is really erotica and thus NSFW)

Both very much recommended.
Widmer
Novice

Post by Widmer »

Spec8472 wrote:Poor Man's Fight by Elliot Kay came up on my recommended reading list.

Very entertaining read - lots of funny bits.

From there, I went and read Good Intentions, which was also very entertaining. (Note: Good Intentions while 'fantasy' is really erotica and thus NSFW)

Both very much recommended.
I read Good Intentions first and it was excellent. Looking forward to the sequel the author says is coming this summer. Poor Man's Fight was good as well, but could have been longer.
chipum2
Novice

Post by chipum2 »

@ Fawkes
I hope no one minds, I posted a contact us E-mail giving the web site to both this forum and to the Weavespinner web sites hoping that they could update their data. I do enjoy Fel's writing so that I hoped to give others a chance to find it again.