Spirit Walker - Spoilers - Chapters 1 through part of 14

Caution: Spoilers
Discussions about the Spirit Walker and Shadow Walker stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Re: Spirit Walker - Spoilers

Post by boballab »

How about this scenerio:

As Danna, Tobey and the loreguard follow Kyven's group, the loreguard members get picked off one by one. We know that is possible since Danna lost a member of her squad already. Once it gets down to just Danna and Tobey, thats when the Shadowfox strikes by changing Danna into a Shadowfox. Now Tobey has a an option he can try and catch Kyven or he can take Danna captive and sell her in Kyven's place. In this situation getting Kyven away from his group will be hard almost impossible for Tobey and he will know it. I believe he will go with option two. This will teach Danna what the Arcan's go through. The Shadowfox of course will let Kyven know what happened and have him go get her. This scenerio will finally allow Danna and Kyven to be on the same side. As for the fate of Tobey after that it would be hard to say. He could be killed or he might escape and become something like Kyven's Jegojah in that he keeps popping up to make Kyven's life miserable.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Um gang, you keep forgetting... in order to get turned into an arcan, the human has to allow the spirits/shadow fox to do it, or ask for it. Its an acceptance thing. Kyven could not have been turned if the shadow fox didn't have his permission/right-via tricking him into giving her the permission.

~Michael
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

The messages move pretty quick on this board so I may have missed it. I didn't notice if anyone grasped how Kyvins blood got into the Loreguard. She was hanging from a rope with both her hands and legs. She was upside down. Many areas were covered with his blood but unlike when he licked here face she didn't try to clean her face of any blood. She did have blood between her thighs. Could Kyvins blood, act like sperm since it obviously went into the right oriface? Would his blood be arcan or human? If it doesn't act as sperm, what does it do?
Elsh
Initiate
Location: Under the cupboard, reading chapter 14 of spiritwalker.

Post by Elsh »

She had more blood on her, on her wrists, on the insides of her thighs in bloody streaks from shimmying up the rope, on her boots, on her surcoat, in her hair. And in her body. he shadow fox nodded to herself, unwrapping her tail and standing up, then padding on silent feet into the forest. The seeds were all planted.[/I} Now came the patience of waiting for the harvest.

That vocabulary reeks of pregnancy. Plus how distant can Dana be towards Kyven if she's already having his baby?
Missing chapter 14, making my way through chapter 15 and awaiting chapter 16 of Spirit Walker.
Mac The Knife
Sorcerer

Post by Mac The Knife »

I can't see pregnancy,,, However, I can see a one way psychic blood brother type connection... but thats just my opinion.
www.gearrings.weebly.com
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

michaelsuave wrote:Um gang, you keep forgetting... in order to get turned into an arcan, the human has to allow the spirits/shadow fox to do it, or ask for it. Its an acceptance thing. Kyven could not have been turned if the shadow fox didn't have his permission/right-via tricking him into giving her the permission.

~Michael
True. But what seems possible to me is that what Kyven has now is a transmissible decease like the were factor that existed in Tarrin world. that way there's no more action from the shadowfox.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

michaelsuave wrote:Um gang, you keep forgetting... in order to get turned into an arcan, the human has to allow the spirits/shadow fox to do it, or ask for it. Its an acceptance thing. Kyven could not have been turned if the shadow fox didn't have his permission/right-via tricking him into giving her the permission.

~Michael

“Now, my foolish Shaman, you will learn the folly of your bargain,” her voice echoed through the trees, burning into Kyven’s mind even in his unconscious state. “You granted me whatever price I wished of you. And so I take your humanity as my price.
“This is the price I exact from you, my new Arcan,” her voice thundered silently across the meadow, and thundered through his soul. “You show a lack of wisdom towards the Arcans, viewing them through the blind eye of privilege and power. You do not understand them. And because you do not understand them, they will never accept you. You will always be a human to them, just as they will always be only Arcans to you. This must be changed. You must know life as they know it. Only when you see through the eyes of those you do not understand can you truly know them. Now you will see life through their eyes. Now you will know their pain, and now you will know their strength.
“In these first lessons, I will deny you my blessing. Only your spirit sight may guide you along this path. Your magic comes from me, my Shaman, and I will not grant it to you until I am satisfied you are deserving of it. You will live as the Arcans live, and know life from their point of view.”

Nowhere does the Shadowfox say that she needed his permission to do this to him. She is doing this to him to teach him two things no more no less.

1. Not to make bad bargains with spirits
2. To show him the Arcans plight

The stripping of his Humanity is the price to be paid for that bargain he made earlier, but the main reason for this price is to show the plight of the Arcans. If Kyven didn't react the way he did to that Arcan when she seeked comfort from him the Shadowfox wouldn't have stripped his Humanity as her price. I believe that Danna is needed by the Shadowfox to complete her plans and needs to learn the same lessons Kyven did. The Blood getting inside her will either allow her to transform her directly or the Blood itself will do it. Remember the SHadowfox said the Seeds had been planted. Now Seeds is plural. Seed number one is Kyven, Seed number two is Danna and Seed number three is Tobey. They are all seeds in her plan, a plan that is growing.

Something else to take into consideration. We don't know the rules that apply to the spirits like we did with the Gods of Sennadar, Fel hasn't spelled them out yet. To me the Spirits seem to act like what the spirits of the North American Indians do. This story feels like a Western set into a fantasy setting with the Humans being the Europeans and the Arcans the Indians.
TStyle
Sorcerer

Post by TStyle »

boballab wrote:Nowhere does the Shadowfox say that she needed his permission to do this to him. She is doing this to him to teach him two things no more no less.
The shadow fox may have not said it, but Fel did...
Fel wrote:It's a lesson that would have been inevitable. The fox is cunning, and Kyven was unaware of her true motives. She would have trapped him into a situation where he would ALLOW her to do this to him eventually.

Yes, allow. This is something a spirit could never do to someone who was unwilling. She had to trick him into allowing her to do it, or at the very least securing from him an agreement that would allow her to do it against his wishes.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

It's a lesson that would have been inevitable. The Fel is cunning, and the readers were unaware of his true motives. He would have trapped them into a situation where they would ALLOW him to do this to them eventually.
Never trust Fel he is evil :wink:
hoppy
Sorcerer

Post by hoppy »

I get the feeling that it is not ability so much as nature that constrains the spirits. Agreements could be literally binding to them. I am not sure what form the binding would take. Also the lesson might been less painful if he had bargained better with her. IOW he gave her to much rope to hang him with.
IdiotPaste
Sorcerer

Post by IdiotPaste »

So why do the spirits care what happens in the real world? Why grant their power to the shamans at all? The shadow fox seems to have some tasks that Kyven needs to complete for her, but why are they necessary? The shadow fox doesn't seem like a benevolent spirit, nor do the other spirits considering the dangers of summoning, so I can't believe she grants her magic to Kyven out of the kindness of her heart.

Fel, can you shed any light on the relationship between the real world and the spirit world?
"Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Great new chapter, 12, but no new answers on the shadow powers.

~Michael
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Elsh
Initiate
Location: Under the cupboard, reading chapter 14 of spiritwalker.

Post by Elsh »

Nope, no new shadow powers. Kyven really could have taken 5 minutes and asked clover about them, teaching him that is not the same as teaching him spells.

Its a great twist with Dana though.
Missing chapter 14, making my way through chapter 15 and awaiting chapter 16 of Spirit Walker.
alkiera
Initiate

Post by alkiera »

Elsh wrote: Its a great twist with Dana though.
I sorta called it. I was pretty sure Clover wasn't gonna die; I figured someone would either take the bullet for her, or distract her from shooting at Clover. The answer was, of course, both. Kyven distracted her, then Claw took the death bullet for him.

The turnaround on the love interest is interesting, but I'm not sure its lasting. If Kyven becomes human again, it's entirely possible she'll forget he's a shaman(since he's human), or maybe she'll eventually accept him as-is. She's got to get over the anti-Shaman thing, though, which is going to be hard. All the humans are trained from birth that Shaman==Evil... I'm sure the Loreguard are trained to think that even moreso.

Curious exactly what the spirits have in mind for Toby and Danna. Maybe they really do want to hire Toby for a job. Danna tho... that's tough, unless she's a potential Shaman herself. Maybe they want to show her their great cities, then drop her back in human lands where no one will believe her? Or maybe she will be someone's servant in Haven for awhile.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

alkiera wrote:
Elsh wrote: Its a great twist with Dana though.
I sorta called it. I was pretty sure Clover wasn't gonna die; I figured someone would either take the bullet for her, or distract her from shooting at Clover. The answer was, of course, both. Kyven distracted her, then Claw took the death bullet for him.

The turnaround on the love interest is interesting, but I'm not sure its lasting. If Kyven becomes human again, it's entirely possible she'll forget he's a shaman(since he's human), or maybe she'll eventually accept him as-is. She's got to get over the anti-Shaman thing, though, which is going to be hard. All the humans are trained from birth that Shaman==Evil... I'm sure the Loreguard are trained to think that even moreso.

Curious exactly what the spirits have in mind for Toby and Danna. Maybe they really do want to hire Toby for a job. Danna tho... that's tough, unless she's a potential Shaman herself. Maybe they want to show her their great cities, then drop her back in human lands where no one will believe her? Or maybe she will be someone's servant in Haven for awhile.
I think once Danna gets over her prejudice about arcans and can accept them as "people" and maybe understands the spirits a bit better, she'll come around and they will make a powerful pair looking out for arcans in the human lands..