Good Books (Scifi)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
deeteeza
Talent

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by deeteeza »

This is an EXCELLENT story, I do hope there are followups and/or similar stories from him
Quinn31
Initiate

Post by Quinn31 »

l.e. modesitt jr. The saga of recluse series is what got me started, next was the imager portfolio, http://www.lemodesittjr.com/. L.E Modesitt Jr., Mike Cropo, and Fel are really the only three author's that have caught my eye in this genre. I've know Mike when he had Arcturian Star in the grey archives.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Little late with this but Mad Mike Williamson's "Better to Beg Forgiveness" is now up for free download in the Baen Free Library:
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-662-better- ... eness.aspx

Also a rumor about a new Prince Roger (Empire of Man) book in the works. It seems that when John Ringo reread the entire series, in preparation for writing the first book in the prequel series, when he got to the end of book 4 he is reported to have stated "That's it? Where is the rest?" So the rumor is he is starting the outline for another Prince Roger book to send to David Weber for approval.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

deeteeza wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series is also pretty good.
Pretty good is an understatement , its a Fucking classic!!!!!!!!!
A must read...
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

boballab wrote:Little late with this but Mad Mike Williamson's "Better to Beg Forgiveness" is now up for free download in the Baen Free Library:

Also a rumor about a new Prince Roger (Empire of Man) book in the works. It seems that when John Ringo reread the entire series, in preparation for writing the first book in the prequel series, when he got to the end of book 4 he is reported to have stated "That's it? Where is the rest?" So the rumor is he is starting the outline for another Prince Roger book to send to David Weber for approval.
I love Prince Roger and the Empire of man.So that's awesome news...
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

From what I understand about the new Prince Roger book its going to be about the first Empress. Read the first few pages of the first book again, if its what I think its going to be about, its going to be about the woman in the painting and not a continuation of Roger's current situation.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Wolfee wrote:From what I understand about the new Prince Roger book its going to be about the first Empress. Read the first few pages of the first book again, if its what I think its going to be about, its going to be about the woman in the painting and not a continuation of Roger's current situation.
That's both good and bad, cause its great universe and series.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Wolfee wrote:From what I understand about the new Prince Roger book its going to be about the first Empress. Read the first few pages of the first book again, if its what I think its going to be about, its going to be about the woman in the painting and not a continuation of Roger's current situation.
That was the plan, until John Ringo reread the series. This is taken from Ringo's Tavern on Baen's Bar back in Feb 2012:
From FaceBook just now

John posted

"If I tweeted the tweet would be 'Almost done with the synopsis for the sequel to We Few'"

"Yes. Really. In two or three years at current rate but, yes, really."

"‘The Imperial We, that snooty nose in the air way We emperors affect, is not just a high falutin’ way of speaking. The Imperial We denotes that, as Emperor, We speak for and are responsible for the lives of all the people of the Empire. When this person, Roger MacClintock, says ‘We’, We’re speaking for all of Us. Not just Our close advisors, We Few who turned this tide. Not, assuredly, the power players of the capital. When We say ‘We’ We’re talking about the Empire, Core Systems and Border Planets and all the people that live and love and laugh and breathe and hope for a better tomorrow. Let’s face facts: We got Us some problems."

"Assuming David agrees, starts right up from the scene in the throne room at the end of We Few."
http://bar.baen.com/index.php?t=msg&th=83261&start=0& (Need a Baen's Bar Account to get into the forum)

So no the next book will not be about Miranda and the Dagger Lord years, the new book starts right after the coronation of "King Roger".
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

boballab wrote:
That was the plan, until John Ringo reread the series. This is taken from Ringo's Tavern on Baen's Bar back in Feb 2012:
From FaceBook just now

John posted

"If I tweeted the tweet would be 'Almost done with the synopsis for the sequel to We Few'"

"Yes. Really. In two or three years at current rate but, yes, really."

"‘The Imperial We, that snooty nose in the air way We emperors affect, is not just a high falutin’ way of speaking. The Imperial We denotes that, as Emperor, We speak for and are responsible for the lives of all the people of the Empire. When this person, Roger MacClintock, says ‘We’, We’re speaking for all of Us. Not just Our close advisors, We Few who turned this tide. Not, assuredly, the power players of the capital. When We say ‘We’ We’re talking about the Empire, Core Systems and Border Planets and all the people that live and love and laugh and breathe and hope for a better tomorrow. Let’s face facts: We got Us some problems."

"Assuming David agrees, starts right up from the scene in the throne room at the end of We Few."
http://bar.baen.com/index.php?t=msg&th=83261&start=0& (Need a Baen's Bar Account to get into the forum)

So no the next book will not be about Miranda and the Dagger Lord years, the new book starts right after the coronation of "King Roger".
SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! HOT DIGGITY!!! Happy Days! WOOT! Yaay! and all that Jazz. Translation: Wicked Awesomeness! "We" can hardly wait!
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

blakagant wrote:A Galaxy Unknown series by Thomas j. Deprima, series has 8 books now, follows a young ensign as she finishes military college in the year 2266, very much like "C.S. Forester's popular Horatio Hornblower novels, this series offers a slightly larger-than-life military officer whose involvement in epic space battles manifest a destiny of renown and prestige." (that was pretty much quoted from the site) http://www.deprima.com/novels.html
I'm a sucker for Forester type storytelling (both the original, and Weber's Harrington series), so I tried these out. For an author that hasn't been dead-tree published, this is a pretty functional and fun story. It is a bit more whimsical than I thought tasteful, though. The technological and tactical one-upsmanship, though following the basic grain of Weber's series, was ludicrous enough to almost approach satire. The other complain I had was that the only site that he works out of has a horrible interface, and doesn't allow you to re-download the stories later (have to download within 2 days, after which you can't download again, as I recall). I also thought the price was a bit much for what is essentially an amateur author.

Setting aside the flaws, the story was fairly good read, and worthwhile if you are a fan of the genre. If you don't care for the genre, you will undoubtedly not enjoy this as it succumbs in spades to all the tropes.
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

dellstart wrote:
boballab wrote:Little late with this but Mad Mike Williamson's "Better to Beg Forgiveness" is now up for free download in the Baen Free Library:

I love Prince Roger and the Empire of man.So that's awesome news...
Definitely good news, especially if he can get Weber on board. I always thought that book 4 ended in an awkward place, and I was always surprised that they didn't continue since had several open threads that were just left dangling and begging for resolution. When I heard way back when that the series would next delve into the history of the universe, I have to admit I was extremely puzzled. Hopefully this moves forward and we can see and ending to Roger's story.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Bester wrote:
blakagant wrote:A Galaxy Unknown series by Thomas j. Deprima, series has 8 books now, follows a young ensign as she finishes military college in the year 2266, very much like "C.S. Forester's popular Horatio Hornblower novels, this series offers a slightly larger-than-life military officer whose involvement in epic space battles manifest a destiny of renown and prestige." (that was pretty much quoted from the site) http://www.deprima.com/novels.html
I'm a sucker for Forester type storytelling (both the original, and Weber's Harrington series), so I tried these out. For an author that hasn't been dead-tree published, this is a pretty functional and fun story. It is a bit more whimsical than I thought tasteful, though. The technological and tactical one-upsmanship, though following the basic grain of Weber's series, was ludicrous enough to almost approach satire. The other complain I had was that the only site that he works out of has a horrible interface, and doesn't allow you to re-download the stories later (have to download within 2 days, after which you can't download again, as I recall). I also thought the price was a bit much for what is essentially an amateur author.

Setting aside the flaws, the story was fairly good read, and worthwhile if you are a fan of the genre. If you don't care for the genre, you will undoubtedly not enjoy this as it succumbs in spades to all the tropes.
A number of his books are available at amazon.com for your kindle reading pleasure.
tereszcz
Initiate

Post by tereszcz »

I read the reviews, and some of them were rather negative. Went to author's site and read the first chapter didn't impress me. :|
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

"Little fuzzy" by H. Beam Piper.
first contact, but just so awesome it can't really be summed up easily. also "The Other Human Race" the sequel, I first read them as a single volume, but they are two separate books. looking at fantasticfiction.co.uk there's several other stories in the "Fuzzies" series... including a new one by John Scalzi... I liked his Old Man's War, but I'm not sure about what seems like a re-write of the first story...
Also anything else of his you can swipe, like the paratime novels, I haven't read them, but the guy wrote gold... too bad he took his life before he realized it...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Wingsolution wrote:"Little fuzzy" by H. Beam Piper.
first contact, but just so awesome it can't really be summed up easily. also "The Other Human Race" the sequel, I first read them as a single volume, but they are two separate books. looking at fantasticfiction.co.uk there's several other stories in the "Fuzzies" series... including a new one by John Scalzi... I liked his Old Man's War, but I'm not sure about what seems like a re-write of the first story...
Also anything else of his you can swipe, like the paratime novels, I haven't read them, but the guy wrote gold... too bad he took his life before he realized it...
Try; http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/p - just drop about 3/4 of the way down the page and pick your poison.
There must be at least 25 or 30 of H. Beam Piper's books available there and like all the books on Gutenberg, they're FREE!

KP
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/