Chapter 16 is done.

Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Chapter 16 is done.

Post by Shadowhawk »

Up on mine (when it is up) as well:
http://193.0.122.19:8010/sennadar/02pyr ... ord16.html
(actually it is copy of Lochar's HTML version).

CanisD/Spec8472, Uncle Rand: hurry up, and update your "backup" sites as well...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Oooooo, no more shakes.  Fel Gooooood.

And, as usual, a great chapter. I can't BELIEVE you brought the little brother back into this, but I know that you have some huge, convoluted reason that will show up 2 books from now or somesuch.  He's probably our next Big Bad.  Whee!!

Well done and Merry Christmas!

MommyDoom
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

lochar wrote:And now for the review.

Very interesting.  VERY interesting.  Tarrin's not taking any chances on losing this battle.  3 or 4 different ways to make sure Dolanna is going to make it back to Sennadar, and at least one way for himself.  And the Cat statue that Niami took.  He's done something to his shaream also, maybe left another soultrap shard in the elsewhere.

And I take it that he's going to either nullify Haley's ability to turn Dolanna, or make her immune to the turning.  That way she'll be happy.

Evil cliffhanger, but as long as we know the next one won't take 6 months to get, we'll be ok.

did actually anyone think about the spoiler thing i mentioned in the last chapter-post-thread?  (meaning http://sennadar.plebian.net/forum/YaBB. ... 1100462738 , page 1 bottom)
because i ran into the same thing here....
Last edited by Taltos on Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarryS
Novice

Post by HarryS »

Suggestions:

- When a thread with a title "Chapter XXX is done" is started by Fel read it from the beginning until the post where the link is posted (or look for the new chapter at the known locations). Try reading the chapter before reading the rest of the discussion.

- What about posting the "Chapter done"-messages in a part of the forum where only the admins can post. I think its possible to announce a new chapter without spoilers. The discussion of the chapter can then be started in the usual place.

- As Taltos suggested: Include a "spoiler" warning in the title. I don't believe it will work if the warning is 2 lines above the spoiler but it may be worth a try.

just my 2c

... from someone who doesn't understand the problem;
as soon as i see that a new chapter is posted i want to read it. The rest of the discussion can wait until I'm done.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

mommydoom wrote:He's probably our next Big Bad.
I bet he's not the next Big Bad guy. But that he will be the reason that the Elder gods of Sennadar allow Tarrin back to that plane.  He shows that he can overcome his "racial" bias and could help someone overcome theirs too.  

Can't you just see Niami pointing out Telvelen to the other gods and telling them how much Tarrin has helped him.

Just another take on it.  BTW Fel, Excellent!!!!!  You deserve much more praise than words can express.

J-Man5
Last edited by J-Man5 on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

harrys wrote:- What about posting the "Chapter done"-messages in a part of the forum where only the admins can post. I think its possible to announce a new chapter without spoilers. The discussion of the chapter can then be started in the usual place.
We used to have something like that on one of the earlier boards (Last one..?) It was never really popular though, and i don't think all that many read it.

Could be worth a try though, if you can convince the real decision-makers...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

So I'm back from work, woot.

I've read the chapter at work, woot.
The chapter was full of much goodness, woot.

So all we need now is some Subjugation or Alpha Project, woot.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

weresmilodon wrote:Could be worth a try though, if you can convince the real decision-makers...
It has been raised to me a few times, up until now though - I havn't had the time, and it seems nobody else has either.

Right now, I'm on holidays, so I'm going to try out a few things.

At the very least, I'll try to get a spoiler tag of some sort in here.

I'm aiming, however, for new forum software.
Something that's maintained, Something that is extensible, Something that's secure, and most definitely something that'll let me migrate everything (users, boards, threads, posts, etc) over from YaBB intact.

At the moment, I'm looking at PHPbb, Grey has already pointed me to a spoiler tag option for it - so that'll be the first thing that goes in.
Mr_Alpha
Novice

Post by Mr_Alpha »

NOT phpbb. From a forum user perspective its awful. Stay away from it. Don't thouch it with anything less than a 4 meter long stick, and that just to make sure it's dead.

As for the chapter. Grrr ;D rreat!
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

mr wrote:NOT phpbb. From a forum user perspective its awful. Stay away from it. Don't thouch it with anything less than a 4 meter long stick, and that just to make sure it's dead.
Any reason why? Alternatives, etc would be appreciated.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

spec8472 wrote:Alternatives, etc would be appreciated.
http://freshmeat.net/browse/21/ (Communications :: BBS)
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trov ... orm_cat=21 (BBS)
phpBB (PHP), FUDforum (PHP), Phorum (PHP), Sporum (Perl), ....
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Mr_Alpha
Novice

Post by Mr_Alpha »

Any reason why?
Well, I can't comment on the technical side, where I couldn't tell the difference between a bulletin board and an IRC server, but I have had a lot of bad experiences with phpbb.

The, um, user interface is confusing and misdirecting. For example: On all the styles I've some across (there might be a jewel somewhere amongst all that dirt) it is ridiculously easy to accidentally post a new topic when you are going to reply. The buttons look the same and the pages where you write look the same. This leads to a lot of accidental new topics.

The new reply notifications (usually some kinds of yellow bells) don't really work. Sometimes it claims there are no new replies even though there are, and sometimes you can't get it to notice you already read the replies.

And it is only on phpbb boards that I have had trouble signing in, but that might have been the admins screw-up.

I don's know much about security but I did stuble across this article http://news.com.com/Net+worm+using+Goog ... tml?tag=nl
Last edited by Mr_Alpha on Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canisd
Weavespinner

Post by canisd »

Ah the joys of working a temp job from 9PM to 5:30 AM, only got round to seeing the board today but uploaded an html version to "my" site
D'ni botsahv prehniv

The ending has not yet been written