Music (Contains mild spoilers for Subjugation)

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Music (Contains mild spoilers for Subjugation)

Post by Spec8472 »

Lochar wrote:although I listen to just about anything but (c)rap.
But you just said you listened to country! ;)

Me: Fairly wide range of stuff, on the slow-end of things: Enigma, Delerium, Deep Forest and Enya too. Oh, and (most) of the classical types, plus Jazz.

In the more rock/pop areas: Audioslave, Bush, Cake, Dido (mmm, what a honey), Everything But the Girl, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Lamb, Massive Attack, Moby, Muse, Nelly Furtado, Oasis (some), Pearl Jam, Powderfinger (Aussie Band), Queens of the Stoneage, Radiohead, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Spiderbait (Aussie), U2. (Can you tell I'm reading off my PDA's music library?)

I don't go for hip-hop/rap as a general rule - although Australian group "The Hilltop Hoods" have some fantastic stuff out. If you can get your hands on their latest album "The Hard Road", then do so -- really really recommended.

There's some dancy/techno-stuff I like occasionally too Paul Oakenfold and that crowd (not too "up" on the names though). The one that would stick out in this category as a favorite though is Prodigy & The Chemical Brothers.

As a general rule: No country music, death(whatever)metal, or pure "doof doof" music (some "doof doof" is ok).

I don't go for the "plastic" music - that is, manufactured pop-stars - Britney, Christina Agulera, or any of the boy/girl band types, also no christian-rock. (If you're all about singing praise the lord, that's fine - but I don't want to listen)

Edit: I forgot to mention some other great stuff - Basement Jaxx, Faithless , and Eskimo Joe.
Last edited by Spec8472 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deeb
Sorcerer

Post by Deeb »

Spec8472 wrote:
Lochar wrote:although I listen to just about anything but (c)rap.
But you just said you listened to country! ;)
Somebody give the man a Kewpie doll.
-Deeb
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Deeb wrote:Somebody give the man a Kewpie doll.
I'd prefer a voodoo doll, but okay...
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Spec8472 wrote:
Deeb wrote:Somebody give the man a Kewpie doll.
I'd prefer a voodoo doll, but okay...
Wrong side of the world, isn't it?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fiferguy wrote:Wrong side of the world, isn't it?
'tis ok, I've got a global roaming plan.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Huh, music!

Here goes, almost any kind of music except Country, Heavy metal and Rap where I cannot find any rapport with.

I wonder what kind of music fits into Faey kind of music. May be those Celtic/Gaelic kind that fits into the Elvish ancestry in the myth.

Miz

Making music is not making war. They both have flame though.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

For Subjugation "Muse - Map of the Problematique" is probably appropriate for the early-ish chapters. (actually, possibly most of the album)

(good song too)
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I think Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" goes well with Subjugation. It's got a lot of Tolkien themes in it, but it still works.. :twisted:
afrigeek
Da'Shar

Post by afrigeek »

Hmm, music..

Lets see:

Classical as in Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven etc, Soul, basically most types apart from

Rock!! ( ouch!)
(C) RAP
and those weird new songs these days where people think its cool to sing off key or some real hoarse and ugly voice.
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others." - Oscar Wilde

What actually happened was that George Dubya Bush saw an Iraqi maths teacher carrying a geometry set, accused him of being a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement, and charged him with possessing weapons of maths instruction.
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

I forgot to mention, any song (especially rock, heavy metal, grunge, anything with heavy electric guitar usage) where you can't make out the lyrics drives me *insane.* What's the point of singing words if people can't understand them? I understand the voice as an instrument, but if you're singing just to add another instrument, sing in another language or with nonsense words. Does anyone recall the music playing during Darth Maul's fight/death scene in Star Wars Episode 1? Excellent example. An entire choir singing ah's, oooh's, and words that make no sense, but damn if it doesn't sound impressive.

Since we're discussing music, is anyone else here a fan of Aqua? Very much Pop, very much mush for the mind, but pretty fun.

And if you think Aqua makes me lame, it could be worse: I could be a fan of Dance Dance Revolution music. :P
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Mark_Reed wrote:Since we're discussing music, is anyone else here a fan of Aqua? Very much Pop, very much mush for the mind, but pretty fun.

And if you think Aqua makes me lame, it could be worse: I could be a fan of Dance Dance Revolution music. :P
Hello Barbie let's go party. - Very fitting music for some of the Faey Nobels.

I always think of Music discussions much like discussing religion or politics or even more importantly Operating System choices. Everyone has their favorites and everyone else's is wrong. This is something so subjective.

I like a little bit of everything. House, World, Country, occasionally some rap, Metal (especially older metal), Classic Rock, Electronic, Disco, R&B, Pop, Blues, Classical, Classic guitar.

I tend to agree with Mark though about being able to understand the lyrics. As I've gotten older this is even more important.

I think I should be a poster child/adult for not turning up you speakers too loud. I am noticing more and more deafness in one ear especially. I attribute this to the Thump, Thump I had in my car and in my stereo at home. I have been told I damaged my hearing by an Audiologist.

What's funny is finding my self singing some of the old time country and western or 50's rock and roll that my parents listened to. I bet some of the younger crowd wouldn't even know who the Platters or the Coasters were. Or the Sons of the Pioneers.

Or listening to Tejano polka music. Like Flaco Jimenez.

Even scarier is to find myself listening to Talk radio and wanting to call in.

J-Man5
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

I had a nasty pair of ear infections as young child, and as a result have been half deaf in one ear and a quarter in the other for most of my life. Maybe hating songs where you can't hear the lyrics is a hard-of-hearing thing?

I'll find myself listening to old songs as well. Then again, you can't get older than a good portion of the Classical genre. But what's really interesting is listening to a song and thinking "this totatly blows away anything released in the last year." Even 60's pop tends to rock all over recent pop.

Then there are the groups who will always be good no matter the decade. The Beatles, to name a 60's group...
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mark_Reed »

J-Man5 wrote:Even scarier is to find myself listening to Talk radio and wanting to call in.
It's a different type of Talk radio than what you probably meant, but I've been tempted to call into "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me" quite a few times. It's a news quiz show that NPR (National Public Radio) runs.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

J-Man5 wrote:Or the Sons of the Pioneers.
J-Man5
I know who the Sons of the Pioneers were... Not my favorite, but not bad either... Does that make me old that I know who they were?
Deeb
Sorcerer

Post by Deeb »

Fiferguy wrote: I know who the Sons of the Pioneers were... Not my favorite, but not bad either... Does that make me old that I know who they were?
Silly music majors ....

As for not being able to figure out what they are saying, Weird Al - Smells Like Nirvana :)

Weird Al wrote:What is this song all about?
Can't figure any lyrics out
How do the words to it go?
I wish you'd tell me, I don't know
Don't know, don't know, don't know, oh no
Don't know, don't know, don't know...
-Deeb