New Book

Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Re: New Book

Post by Wildcat »

Now THAT, Uncle Rand, is a good idea. I might try it over Christmas break, because I've noticed that to hold true for some other books with insanely complicated plots when I reread the series after knowing what goes on in the latter installments. Thanks for the suggestion!
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

uncle_rand wrote: >:( I wrote a huge reply to the discussion about the WOT series being too long or convoluted, but in the end I didn't want to start an argument, so I just want to say this: I love the Wheel of Time series, and I hope it runs to at least 30 books.

Uncle Rand
Go on post it, I'm always up for a good argument ;)
Either way it'd be interesting to hear your points.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

qhitch wrote:

I have Robert Jordan's 9 WOT books in PDF form. If you want it, just PM.
Nah, don't have any program to read it with, and right now i'm rereading the Firestaff serie. I also have a 900 pages book from the library i need to read.

One step at a time, or one will either stumble over themself, or lose all contact with the grund, creating a fall you need to recover from... I'll rather avoid that if i can. I don't have much more to do than read, so it would get rather boring if i burnt myself out, eh? ;)
greymist wrote:
Go on post it, I'm always up for a good argument ;)
Either way it'd be interesting to hear your points.
Yeah, ditto here. A good argument to clear the channels would be good.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Just went to go pick up the new book today.  I about screamed when I found out that it WASN'T the next in the series.  It's a "in the beginning" book.  And it's HALF the size of the smallest of the series.  I can't believe it.  I didn't even buy it, and I was so looking forward to getting the damned story moving again.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

Howdy All

Yes, "New Spring" is a PREquel or before the series story that gives new insight into what happened to bring the elements of the story together. It is the kind of novel that usually comes about after a series to provide a continuation of the popularity of a series and its characters stories.

Now I started this strand, so I should comment. I have purchased this book and I have read it cover to cover.

It is in fact about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of Jordans normal massive volumes. And oh how I wish he could write like this all the time. The story is GREAT! The story is succinct. It builds and shows new sides to old characters and breathes life into his series. If he can do this just twice more we may have a quick and reasonable conclusion to a series that has become complicated, banal, and LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Not that it isn't good, it has just probably become way to commercialized. I believe there is likely editorial and publishing pressure to drag it out for all it is worth $$$. This is a truly great novel, enjoyable, easy to read, insightful and quirky, with new sides and scenes to old places and characters. It is in short how Moraine and Lan came to be together as young Aes Sedai and Warder. There is a Suane (SP?) Sanche that as a youngster is unrecognizeable from the one we know from earlier volumes. It is primarily Moraines story. I appreciated that as she left the series as a character way to early to suit me, and I hope she comes back from the dead quite honestly.

On occaison we meet other charactes from the story line, primarily members of the White Tower, but just for glimpses. There's never so much as a squall from a baby Rand, or an ear twitch from Loial.  If Jordan can finish his series and bring us to a happy and successful conclusion soon, then there are multiple story lines, and possibilities for series expansion, in volumes like this one commercially available to himself and his publishers afterwards. And this volume prooves his talent and potential for same.

So I hope we see a new continuation of the series novel quickly. I hope rumors of writers block or other problems are not true. I hope he needed a break and a fresh storyline perspective to refresh the creative juices of his personal muse. This book was refreshing and good things need to come from Mr Jordan to conclude the WOT series quickly.

This off branch style of writing has been a commercial success for many authorss IE Anne McCafferey, Robert Heinlein, Mercedes Lackey, and others etc..... Don't be to harsh on Mr Jordan until you read this new volume and actually decide you do not like it. It has me excited and waiting for more.

On another side line if any of you read W.E.B. Griffins novels his latest "Retreat Hell" a Marine Corps series volume makes up for the last work that truly  drug on and seemed to be just a volume to make another pile of cash. This work ammends for that and carries the story started there in into new bounds with excitement and energy. I reccomend it to you as well oh avid readers and friends.

Have a stress free and book filled weekend of fun all!

John
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
Uncle_Rand
Initiate

Post by Uncle_Rand »

There are what I believe to be spoilers in this message about future parts of the WOT series, so don't read if you don't want to see them.
miser wrote: It is primarily Moraines story. I appreciated that as she left the series as a character way to early to suit me, and I hope she comes back from the dead quite honestly.
I wouldn't worry about her coming back from the dead, as she isn't dead. I don't remember exactly what happened in which book, but there was a part where someone had a vision of Thom Merrilon(sp?) reaching his hands into a fire and pulling out Moraine's necklace. This is a hint that he will be rescuing her, as he fell in love with her, which is easy to see if you reread the part where Mat delivers the letter to Thom. Also, right after the doorway that she and Lanfear fell through exploded, Egwene asked about her and Rand said she was dead, but one of the Wise Ones told him he was a fool, about that, and other things.

Taken all together, it can only mean she is a prisoner of the people in the doorway who had hung Mat after he went through.

Uncle Rand
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

Uncle Rand

I do recognise all of that. And it is why I have hope she comes back from the dead, or the wherever. She is simply to key to the story integrity.

John
John
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

I've ALWAYS believed Moiraine wasn't dead.  I know we'll see her again.  The question is, what is she going to do for a Warder now?  

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

MD, Well there are all the Ashaman and there isn't a taint anymore.  

I guess I'll buy the new book, but what really pissed me off is we had to wait 2 years for a book 1/2 the size of his other books.  That's all thats driving me nuts about it.  I was just steamed about it yesterday.

Support my brother.
Uncle_Rand
Initiate

Post by Uncle_Rand »

mommydoom wrote:The question is, what is she going to do for a Warder now?
lochar wrote:MD, Well there are all the Ashaman and there isn't a taint anymore.
You never know, she might come back burnt out from her battle with Lanfear, unable to touch the power any more.

Personally, I think Thom will be her new Warder.

Uncle Rand
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

HOWDY ALL

YOU GUYS HAVE TO READ THIS NEW BOOK. IT WILL GIVE YOU ALL A NEW APPRECIATION FOR THE SELECTION OF WARDERS, RELATIONSHIPS WITH AES SEDAI, MARRIGES AND ALL INCLUDED.

JUST FOR THE FUN AND LAUGHS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORAINE SELECT MATT, THAT WOULD GIVE HIM A NEW REASON TO CURSE THE AES SEDAI.

SO FOR A NEW TACK ON THIS TOPIC WHO IS EVERYONES FAVORITE CHARACTER? I TRULY ENJOY LOIAL PERSONALLY. AND WISH HE WAS MORE INTRICATE AND INVOLVED WITH THE STORY. WE SEE FAR AND AWAY TOO LITTLE OF THE FASCINATING OGIER.

JOHN
John
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

miser wrote: SO FOR A NEW TACK ON THIS TOPIC WHO IS EVERYONES FAVORITE CHARACTER?

Perrin.  Hands down.  Being a rather strong-minded, stubborn female myself, I really enjoy seeing what Perrin goes through in dealing with Faile.  :)

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Perrin here too. Though that is more for his personality, and his 'wolven' connection. He's rather interesting, and comes across as someone i could befriend easily in the real life. The kind of person i like.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

Another vote for Perrin, mostly for the same reasons as Guardian_Mike. I love seeing him interact with the wolves, and the parts where he talks to them are some of my favorites in the series.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Matt, mainly because I want his spear.  If not that, then Perrin.

Support my brother.