What is your opinion of religion?

What is your opinion of religion?

Think relgion as a whole is a stupid idea. (atheist)
15%
Think religion as a whole is a great idea. (theist)
6%
Think orginized relgion is a great idea. (theist)
No votes
Think that beliving in somthing, but not really having a preset belife is a great idea(agnostic)
38%
Think that it's a great way to start a flamewar (admin)
40%

Total votes: 47

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: What is your opinion of religion?

Post by Spec8472 »

Sbudda wrote:I'm currently reading a book by Richard Dawkings called The God Delusion. It's a book that tries to describe the various viewpoints on the subject from a scientist's perspective. The whole, does this explanation satisfy Occam's Razor or not.
Funnily enough, there's a radio program here in Australia called Occam's Razor, which I believe is interviewing Richard Dawkings this week.
I'll link to the podcast when it comes up (which is how I listen to 'em all)
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

This will do to describe me:
If a man has failed to find any good reason for believing that there is a God, it is perfectly natural and rational that he should not believe that there is a God; and if so, he is an atheist... if he goes farther, and, after an investigation into the nature and reach of human knowledge, ending in the conclusion that the existence of God is incapable of proof, cease to believe in it on the ground that he cannot know it to be true, he is an agnostic and also an atheist - an agnostic-atheist - an atheist because an agnostic... while, then, it is erroneous to identify agnosticism and atheism, it is equally erroneous so to separate them as if the one were exclusive of the other...
I was raised in a Christian family and I would have called myself Christian (hell, I willingly got baptised at 16). I had what I would have called real (blind?) faith. From there I moved on, got bored of religion and moved to the "personal relationship with God" not organised religion camp.

When I was 18 though I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and while being in hospital and being on drugs (mmmm drugs, not bad ones, just normal ones like hydro cortisone/thyroxine/testosterone) I decided to think for myself and came to the conclusion that I have no reason to believe in a God. I don't think it had anything to do with me being bitter at some deity for giving me a tumor because to be quite honest I didn't care about it, it was just an inconvenience.

Anyway, the end.
Ryuu_Kaze
Talent

Post by Ryuu_Kaze »

I really don't understand people who think organized religion fails due to the corruption of men.

Because wouldn't that apply to everything? Like government? Or say, society in general? Why do you only apply that idea to religion?

No matter what terrible things man does in the name of God (or whatever), it's still man who decided to do it. Just like guns don't kill people, neither does just about anything else, except people. (Alright, I know I'm not counting accidents and such, I was making a point.)

And if you really think religion shouldn't exist because man created it, then isn't that the same as saying man can't create ANYTHING good, because of his inherit corruption? In which case, you have a very depressing outlook on life. One wonders why you'd bother living, since it seems like humanity shouldn't exist if it's so messed up.

Also, you don't have to follow all the rules in the bible. The way I was taught, was that those were the rules AT THAT TIME. Later, they had different rules, that fit into the times better. And yes, spell check rocks.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

It's not that it fails because it was created by men, it's just that it is pointless because it was created by men. Religion doesn't have anything to do with spirituality of belief. It's purpose is to control and organize society and answer some fundamental questions about the world around us so people can give is a rest and to loose their sleep over the meaning of life. Every religion answer those questions and gives same instruction on how to live in order to achieve some purpose. In all this deities are only some core justification for it.
I guess rules do change, but apparently not fast enough to keep up with the flow of information. There just aren't that many miraculous things left for religion to form that core that justifies it.
And governments do fail that's why there is as much legislation for preventing corruption as there is for defining government activities.
And society isn't man made it's a result of the existence of men, it is rather inevitable. Artificially created societies - like the Utopia communities in France in the 18 century did fail though.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

I don't limit it to religion. Governments are just as corrupt for the same reason. The same about everything else created by men. If we could eliminate greed from ourselves, think how much better off we would be.
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

Ryuu_Kaze wrote:I really don't understand people who think organized religion fails due to the corruption of men....

No matter what terrible things man does in the name of God (or whatever), it's still man who decided to do it....

And if you really think religion shouldn't exist because man created it, then isn't that the same as saying man can't create ANYTHING good, because of his inherit corruption? In which case, you have a very depressing outlook on life. One wonders why you'd bother living, since it seems like humanity shouldn't exist if it's so messed up.

Also, you don't have to follow all the rules in the bible. The way I was taught, was that those were the rules AT THAT TIME. Later, they had different rules, that fit into the times better.
The reason that this is different is simple. If I went up to you and told you that George Bush came to me in a dream and told me I needed to send 5000 woolen sweaters to the natives of Central America - you would correctly consider me insane. If you were religious, and I told you that God came to me in a dream riding a Harley Davidson Fat Boy, and told me to impregnate every woman in a 50 mile radius - some idiot wouldn't think I simply had too much peyote the night before, and would help me round the women up.

It isn't the fact that religion is run by men that makes it bad. There are plenty of things run by men that are pretty darn good (The Red Cross for example). What IS bad about religion is that it is run by men who know how to use fear to get people to do what they want them to do.

"You'd better listen to me, because I talk to God, like, everyday. And you know that God can listen in on your thoughts, and sees everything you do, and knows that you think Sister Mary is smokin hot. But God told me that he'd forgive you if you give me money and do anything that I tell you to do."

I don't know about you, but the concept that people can listen in on my thoughts and knows what I do all the time, is pretty freaky. That's why I never much liked Santa Claus by about the time I reached puberty. :oops: It is this exploitition of the natural fear that people can see into your innermost thoughts and blackmail you based upon them, is what makes religion so repugnent to me.

But honestly, that wouldn't bother me if people actually saw their religion through a filter of reality. If someone ever said, ' the whole Noah flood thing is pretty retarded, it was obviously a story about a local flood which to a tribal people would indeed seem like the whole world was gone', I would respect that. But you have people who believe that their holy book is the literal word of God, despite being translated and copied over the course of 2 thousand years.

I had a debate with one person who insisted that the King James Bible was the literal word of God - despite having been comissioned by a man who based his claim to the throne as having been divinely granted. Because God would have interveined and stopped any attempt to change the wording of His work. I mean, really (try to stop me God!!!)...

In the beginning, God created a mudpie and then sold some lemonade.
(Guess he didn't think it was all that important)

So that's really the problem that I have. Well, that and the fact that you can't debate someone about religion because it is somehow holy and therfore not open to debate. Try to talk to a fundimentalist about gay people, and you will get the same tired belief. 'Marriage is about procreation, homosexuality is a sin, it's filthy and is what Sodom was destroyed for', blah, blah, blah. Because it is a religious statement, somehow it is supposed to be a fact and we are supposed to respect him for his (quite obviously) bigoted belief. It's not like old people who will never have kids together don't get married all of the time. And if you think gay sex is gross (lesbian sex is ok for some reason) - I also think sex between old, fat, ugly people is gross; but I don't think it's a sin or should be illegal.

You said that "The way I was taught, was that those were the rules AT THAT TIME. Later, they had different rules, that fit into the times better." and that is awesome. Except, how do you know which rules apply now? Do you determine it yourself? By what judgement do you use to tell which is valid and which is not? If you use your own judgement, why not just do that in the first place?

Do you really need someone to tell you that that killing is wrong? This can be rationalized easily. As you are walking down the street, remember that every person that you pass could whip out a shiv and stab you in the throat before you could blink. But they don't, because you don't stab them in the throat. Therefore, in the interest of self-preservation, you shouldn't kill anyone yourself.

Or you can say God told you not to. Unless he told you that you should. God is really confusing about that.

So, to end this poorly organized bitch-fest, religion is worse than a secular government because of the inassailable platform that is available to the preists. If you cannot debate them, they cannot be proven wrong, or even proven right. The only thing worse than religion, is a theocracy - because not only are they always right, they also have tanks.

I should really work on outlines before I post. Blegh.
M2
Talent

Post by M2 »

It is good to be born into a religion, but not to die in it. In fact, I would almost dare to say that religion is not only good as a basic spiritual start in life, but also necessary.

In Western countries where organized religion is common, most people have an oppinion, either in favor or against religion. Most people have been exposed to some moral, religious code, set of rules and behavior that would later guide them through life. However, it is also necessary for human beings, to be able to question those same rules at certain point in their lives, otherwise, they stop their own growing and development.

Furthermore, there is even scientific evidence that humans do need God and religion in their lives. In the early 1990, a Canadian neuro-psychologist, Dr. Michael Persinger, published his findings about a research of what he called "The God Spot" in the brain. Using a transcranial magnetic stimulator, he sent rapidly fluctuating magnetic fields to certain areas of the brain. In the same way that the motor cortex would stimulate muscles and movement, the area in the temporal lobes, part of the brain located under the temples, would make people "experience God." (From the feeling of being in his prescence, to the losing of boundaries and believing to be One with the creator)

Every single person is born with this spot in the brain, but it is our exposure to religion and divine, supernatural type of thinking that help us develop this area of the brain. You might then wonder why would we need to develop this God spot. The answer is that activity in this same area of the brain is highly associated with creative thinking and ability to use problem-solving ability (what is most commonly known as IQ)

However, extreme electrical activity on the temporal lobes is also assciated with clinical madness, schizophrenia and schizotypal personality. Therefore, why so many religious fanatics end up behaving like crazy, why it is so easy to control people through religion and even in some cases, use religion to control large number of people. Constant, repetitive thoughts and talks about God and His will, stimulates people's brain activity in the temporal lobes, facilitating delusional thoughts and chances to control people through their fears.

So, is religion good or bad? My personal oppinion is that it is good up to a certain point. Just enough to serve us as a starting point to question ourselves, to stimulate our brains and find our own answers. Religions turn bad when people decide to quit thinking and questioning, when they find it easier to leave the responsibility of major decissions to God.

As I said at the beginning, it is good to be born into a religion. At some point, however, we need to question ourselves, go deeper than a simple set of rules handed down to us by "men of God" (regardless of what men they are or what God it is). We need to be able to outgrow those basic teachings and understand that a life well lived is the one that finds death away from the point where it started. Otherwise, we should probably have never been born. We would have passed through the world, consume natural resources and soil the land, and all for nothing...
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

M2 wrote:Furthermore, there is even scientific evidence that humans do need God and religion in their lives. In the early 1990, a Canadian neuro-psychologist, Dr. Michael Persinger, published his findings about a research of what he called "The God Spot" in the brain. Using a transcranial magnetic stimulator, he sent rapidly fluctuating magnetic fields to certain areas of the brain. In the same way that the motor cortex would stimulate muscles and movement, the area in the temporal lobes, part of the brain located under the temples, would make people "experience God." (From the feeling of being in his prescence, to the losing of boundaries and believing to be One with the creator)
Can you please link to this research?
Something that's repeatable, - double blind, randomised sample of people with a control, and shows a statistically significant difference.

To me it sounds pretty shaky -- people "experience god" when a certain point in their brain is stimulated? From the level of detail provided - they could have simply been stimulation the parts of the brain responsible for endorphin production or something similar.
M2
Talent

Post by M2 »

If you are really interested in the topic, there is some reading material you might consider:
- Feelings of Past Lives as Expected Perturbations Within the Neurocognitive Processes That Generates the Sense of Self" by M.A. Persinger.
-"Experimental Induction of a "Sensed Presence" in Normal Subjects and an Exceptional Subject" by Cook and Persinger.
(These first two you might find quoted in Psychology Journals, I haven't been able to find the whole articles yet, not sure if they have anything on the internet, though)
- Phantoms in the Brain, by V.S. Ramachandran and Sandra Blakeslee. (Professor Ramachandran was actually Director of the Center for Brain and Cognition, at the University of California, in San Diego). He has performed experiments under laboratory control where he artificially stimulated the temporal lobes with magnetic field activity. Temporal lobe stimulation has produced in most cases different kinds of mystical experiences, past lives experiences, etc.
- "The Variety of Religious Experience", by Williams James. (Once again, I have read only parts of this book. I haven't found the whole book yet, only fragments quoted in other books)

Anyways, trying to find a relation between brain activity and religion, God and spirituality has been a major focus of neuro-psychologists starting on the early 90's and up to this day. If you have access to any library with decent, updated articles on psychology, you'll most likely find tons of research on the topic. I can't remember more names at the top of my head. The only reason I remember these three is because I came across fragments of them and thought they were really interesting. I wrote down the names and authors to see if I was able to find the whole thing at some point, unfortunately, haven't been succesful yet.

Once again, most of the reading material I got, was out of the library while I was living in California. I am not so lucky with the library where I am now, and believe it or not, I don't even know if there is anything published about the topic on the internet. To tell you the truth, with this kind of topic, it takes too much time to sort out what is really serious, controlled laboratory type of research and what is not.

I wish I could give you more specific book titles to read, but as I said, you'll find lots of different articles on the topic, specially if you go into Psychology Journals. Hope this is good enough for you and you are able to find better answers than what I can provide. I am not a scientist, just a person with an unusual passion for people, psychology and religion. I guess that's why I did answer to this topic, even though I usually don't.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

This is one of those ....."Don't Ask ...Don't Tell things"

But some food for thought ...

All Religions are Based off of a Bible or Holy book of teachings these days

These Books were all writen by ......(Drum Roll)......... People ....

Now assumeing the GOD or God's were working as the Editors..... it don't really work well.

God (in Most forms) Gives their People (( Free will of some sort ))
I guess that means the Editing is just a suggestion and NOT carved in Stone.

Hummm <shrug's and goes back to reading>

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

M2 wrote:It is good to be born into a religion, but not to die in it. In fact, I would almost dare to say that religion is not only good as a basic spiritual start in life, but also necessary.
I suppose that arguements could be made in either direction on this one. Personally, I'd like to think that people are smart enough to not need the threat of eternal punishment to act properly - but at the same time I know this is (in the absence of real evidence) wishful thinking. At the same time, a pessimistic viewpoint of others isn't really evidence that religion is good either. (ie. assuming that since some people who are religious act like assholes, in the absence of religion they would be even worse; is not a statement that follows accepted logic)

It's difficult to prove if their actions stem from ingrained assholitivity (you may credit me with the invention of this word :)) or from their belief of the inassailability of their viewpoint.

EDIT: Wow, I totally missed the point of that section of your post. So, ummm, oops. What I now mean to say is, it'd be interesting to see if the creativity in humans could also be stimulated though other methods. Yeah, that's the ticket.:oops:
M2 wrote:However, it is also necessary for human beings, to be able to question those same rules at certain point in their lives, otherwise, they stop their own growing and development.
This is my main point in fact. So long as religion allows people to question their belief system and learn from the questioning, I don't really have a problem with it. For instance, in the Jewish system you're not allowed to eat shellfish. This is a reasonable rule in a time that predates refrigeration and aquarium transportation. (If you don't know, the reason we cook lobsters live, is due to a poisionous secretion the lobster gives off when if dies) Back in the day, prior to the understanding of chemistry or biology, a basic rule - don't eat shellfish - makes sense. But being able to logically understand the meaning behind the rule is an important step in the evolution of human society.

So while some Jews still don't eat shellfish, most don't think I'm an evil sinner if I choose to. Because lobster is gooooood.

The same can be said for out of wedlock sex. In the days before birth control or STD tests, it would be a pretty darn bad idea. By not allowing practitioners to question the reason behind the belief, to have blind faith, reduces the people from sentient beings to no more than sheep. Ironic considering that Jesus is considered to be a shepard :wink:.

Really, the problem faced by Christians in America is the same problem faced by Islam. Mainly, a group of fundimentalist extremists who seek to publicise their intrepretation as the correct one - despite massive groups of people within the same religion who do not feel the same that the fundimentalists do.

It would be nice if for every car bomb in Iraq, there were 10 mosques that came out against the act. Same as it would be nice that for every public outcry against homosexuality in the US, there were 10 churches who publically announced that Jesus is about loving everyone and hating nobody. For every group that pushes a literal intrepertation, you should get 10 groups who push a non-literal one. Regardless of how you feel about religion in general, you have to admit that it gets bad press all of the time. For those of you in the religion, you can probably see that the press is false, but you must remember that people on the outside didn't see your bake sale for battered women; they saw the abortion clinic bombing.

On a random point...one law I would love to see passed is a truth in statistics act. Anyone who uses a statistic in a news article or a political speech should have a link to the actual study. This isn't a complaint about your God Spot reference (because it was well documented and I could follow up on it), rather just a general complaint.

Not that I pretend that I fully understand the study that you referenced, but one must admit that the study doesn't prove the existance of God. Rather, it suggests that there is a region of the brain that when stimulated, produces hallucinations that when experienced by 'believers' is similar to religious rapture. Other researchers who utilized double-blind testing procedures have not had the same results.

For the person requesting a link to the study, I had a great deal of luck searching for the researchers name and/or the title of the paper, both on Google and Wikipedia. Information on the University where the study was conducted (Laurentian University, Canada) is also easy to locate and quite interesting. Also interesting is that the effect has been shown to exist from both magnetic fields (as Persinger suggests), and from psilocybin mushrooms.

From which most of my religious moments can be attributed :roll:.

Also, did any one else see South Park last night? Yep, that was the same Richard Dawkins that I was talking about. It was to me - and this is a key difference between me and fundimentalists - halariously funny. Go sea otters!

Finally, huge props to everyone on this thread. I would have expected this to degenerate into a name calling session by now. Everyone is awesome.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

We're just more civilized than your average debater...and the threat of eternal damnation and bannage from the God Spec... :twisted:
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

We're all the reasonable facsimiles of adults around here.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fiferguy wrote:We're just more civilized than your average debater...and the threat of eternal damnation and bannage from the God Spec... :twisted:
Well, I don't know about the eternal damnation bit... but if you can't have a reasonable discussion - even if you don't agree - then there's something wrong.
Fel wrote:We're all the reasonable facsimiles of adults around here.
<kid-voice>Am not! Repeat, infinite, mirror, no returns!</kid-voice>
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Spec8472 wrote:<kid-voice>Am not! Repeat, infinite, mirror, no returns!</kid-voice>
So much for more civilized... :twisted:

I agree, anyone who is unable to have a rational conversation about something like this is not someone that I would like to be associated with in the first place. That's one of many reasons that I can't wait to move out of Oklahoma.