Demon's Bane, Chapter 7

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Demon's Bane, Chapter 7

Post by Spec8472 »

RedManX wrote:the .doc files can not be downloaded to this computer. i need to wait till there is a adobe file that can be opened in a browser or a html version of the file to view it. its just the fact that downloading any files is forbiden beond normal cookies and what not required to view webpages.
Ah, k -- thanks.
wildph
Katzh-dashi

Post by wildph »

Hi Everyone,

I've created and uploaded my PDF copy of Demons Bane Chapter 7.

It's available from http://homepage.mac.com/wildph

I'm just about to sit down with a cup of tea and read through the text.

Cheers

XW
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

RedManX wrote:the .doc files can not be downloaded to this computer. i need to wait till there is a adobe file that can be opened in a browser or a html version of the file to view it. its just the fact that downloading any files is forbiden beond normal cookies and what not required to view webpages.
Actually, most browsers don't open the PDFs on the webpages directly, they download them into a temp folder and open them from there. If you directly say 'open' on the download screen the same would happen for any other filetype that has an assigned program to it. Now if it's the download prompt that's completely hidden, instead of just not being allowed to save any files due to permissions, then you're screwed in this regard, but if not, it might be worth a shot to just say 'open' next time :)
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Quindo Ma wrote:
Actually, most browsers don't open the PDFs on the webpages directly, they download them into a temp folder and open them from there. If you directly say 'open' on the download screen the same would happen for any other filetype that has an assigned program to it. Now if it's the download prompt that's completely hidden, instead of just not being allowed to save any files due to permissions, then you're screwed in this regard, but if not, it might be worth a shot to just say 'open' next time :)
It could also be that anything but .pdf and .htm/.html files have been blocked. That's something rather simple and a good way to secure a web browser. Not the best way, but that sounds like what's going on. At least to me... :wink:
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Fiferguy wrote:It could also be that anything but .pdf and .htm/.html files have been blocked. That's something rather simple and a good way to secure a web browser. Not the best way, but that sounds like what's going on. At least to me... :wink:
Course, but that's not because of a hidden download prompt, but a permissions thing. From the way he said he couldn't download any files, it was implied that the temp folder worked, just any other place wouldn't save.

You'd be surprised how stupid some so called "System Admins" sometimes are, locking down everything that looks like it could be a security risk, but leaving less obvious holes wiiiiiiide open 8).
SparkTiger2
Novice

Post by SparkTiger2 »

Loved the new chapter and can't wait for the next one!
If a man is not willing to die for something he believes in, he is not fit to live at all.
RedManX
Initiate

Post by RedManX »

hehe ... well put it this way... its millitary if they arnt good for anything elce they are prety good with securety/

the brower does allow pdf files as i have done it in the past with chapter 6 release and it worked.