Sennadar.com

Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Sennadar.com

Post by Spec8472 »

ok, for all the additional format requests... here's what I was/am planning to do:

For each *completed* book:
* Get a clean copy of the HTML (thanks to Fiferguy), and make a TOC page
* Import all that into MS Word, with a linked TOC and things like that, to produce a single large MS Word document.

* Use that MS Word document to produce PDFs (c/- Office 2007's PDF generation capability and/or Adobe Acrobat 7, since I'm licenced for both), MS Reader .LITs, and upon request - other versions too (if they're easily enough converted).
I'm not sure if we can generate iSilo archives (I havn't researched it yet)

Others can generate other portable reader files in other formats, and I'll put them up too.

For books that arn't completed - I'll provide per-chapter HTML and MS Word/RTF.. I don't think there's a whole lot of point re-compiling them for each chapter (if someone wants to produce per-chapter files, please feel free - I'll put them up there too if you want)

So, for every book you'd have the following:
* Read Online (HTML), by chapter.

(Completed Books Only)
Zip Files containing:
* HTML files - one for each chapter, including a TOC.
* MS Word file (.DOC) - one for the entire book, including the TOC
* MS Reader Files with TOC
* PDF Files with TOC
* RTF, By Chapter (NO TOC)

(possible others)
* iSilo Archives/etc
* Mobipocket
* ...others?

(Non Completed Books)
* Download-by-chapter, RTF.

Hopefully I'll be able to come up with an easy-to-use interface for all of this :)
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

One suggestion for the chapter/book layout, could you format the begining of each chapter like the format in these files? This form has evolved from several previous versions that I used to make viewing and navigating stories easier.
Attachments
Tarrin Kael Firestaff Collection Book 1 - Tower of Sorcery by Fel ©.doc
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 1236 times
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

For EVERY chapter? It's up to Fel, since they're his stories, but that just seems a little bit excessive to me. I've started putting the book and title in the title bar, and I could put a link at the bottom to go to the previous chapter, home, and next chapter, but personally I think that all the big and little is a little excessive, not to mention tedious to add to the one's I've already gotten done...

But I'll do whatever Fel wants.. he is the mastah... :wink:
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fiferguy wrote:For EVERY chapter? It's up to Fel, since they're his stories, but that just seems a little bit excessive to me.
IMO, getting a single clean copy of everything is a good starting point.

Once everything's nice and consistant - scripts can be run over them to convert to whatever formatting, insert additional links, etc as needed. :)
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Spec8472 wrote: IMO, getting a single clean copy of everything is a good starting point.

Once everything's nice and consistant - scripts can be run over them to convert to whatever formatting, insert additional links, etc as needed. :)
Good point Spec8472. I personaly like to view the books as a single file. Whether that is a pdf, doc or Mobipocket. Especially Mobipocket. When I reopen the file Mobipocket remembers the last point that you were reading and opens to that location.

And, yes it took me a lot of hours to get the bookmarking and links programmed into word.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Just an update -- the domain has been renewed/transferred over to easyDNS. (a few hours ago)

It'll probably show my details for the owner/admin at the moment, I've submitted the change so that Fel will show up for them (so he can still transfer the domain away if wanted)
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get a $6 a year domain registrar? 1and1.com

That's where I keep my forbidder.org domain.

It's not like hosting where there are options and features and stuff where paying more can give you something that is useful.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Forbidder wrote:Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get a $6 a year domain registrar? 1and1.com

That's where I keep my forbidder.org domain.

It's not like hosting where there are options and features and stuff where paying more can give you something that is useful.
Perhaps...
If
(1) I hadn't already transferred it over, paid for it, etc.
(2) was in any way dissatisfied by the QoS by easyDNS (yeah, this does matter somewhat)
(3) wasn't already a customer of easyDNS, and just wanting to manage it all from one control panel (sure, I don't have my .au domains with them, but that's because they can't register them)

:P

From the looks of it, 1&1 require you to keep your web hosting with them... (not certain, but just guessing based on some of the information given on their site)
If this is so, then it's not particularly useful (the hosting is all done on my dreamhost account).
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

OK, I've got some of the templates working...

Example of a completed book:
http://staging.sennadar.com/books/fires ... f-sorcery/

Example of a book still in-progress:
http://staging.sennadar.com/books/pyrosian/demons-bane/

Notes:
1) The chapter links won't work, I havn't actually uploaded the chapters.

2) The icon for MS Word and MS Reader arn't proper icons.
I still need to get icons for each of the formats, otherwise they'll show up with the generic icon.

The links etc arn't added manually, they're created by embedding some data on the page, and PHP generates it.

FWIW: There's also a Series template, for example: http://staging.sennadar.com/books/firestaff

Edit: All the book pages should now have the correct chapters/info etc... still no books up (they'll be put up later)

Edit 2: The "blank page" issue has been fixed, and wp-cache is on now. Page rendering speed is much improved. See <a href="http://www.bloggingblog.net/wp-cache-an ... ">wp-cache and the blank page problem</a> for more info.
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

Spec8472 wrote:
From the looks of it, 1&1 require you to keep your web hosting with them... (not certain, but just guessing based on some of the information given on their site)
If this is so, then it's not particularly useful (the hosting is all done on my dreamhost account).
Nope, just switch the NS records to whatever name server you prefer, or you can point an A record to your webhost, or use a CNAME, whatever floats your boat. My webhosting is on he.net, so it definately works fine.

But yeah it's true, having one managed panel is great.

Though for me cost is a big issue.