PDA's

Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PDA's

Post by Fawks »

Anyone know of a RELIABLE viewer or converter/viewer for very large .doc or .pdf files? I have a new dell Axium x51 and want to carry the Tarrin stories (among others) in it. :D

I have tried viewing the full .doc files with pocket word (joke), and .pdf files adobe acrobat (better but not good).

Noting that some of my files are reaching 3 to 5mb, I really would like to find a reader that can convert or view these files without major hourglass delays or crashing.

help!

Fawks
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Re: PDA's

Post by Were_Fan »

Fawks wrote:Anyone know of a RELIABLE viewer or converter/viewer for very large .doc or .pdf files? I have a new dell Axium x51 and want to carry the Tarrin stories (among others) in it. :D

I have tried viewing the full .doc files with pocket word (joke), and .pdf files adobe acrobat (better but not good).

Noting that some of my files are reaching 3 to 5mb, I really would like to find a reader that can convert or view these files without major hourglass delays or crashing.

help!

Fawks
Have you tried saving a .doc file as .txt from Word or WordPad?
--
Jim/Were Fan
http://ilcomps.com
Baen Book free SciFi CDs:
http://www.ilcomps.com/Baen/Baen_index.htm
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

I cant/wont use txt files. Most of the documents have bookmarks and links that alow quick moves to the chapter / title / end of a book.

JR
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fawks wrote:Anyone know of a RELIABLE viewer or converter/viewer for very large .doc or .pdf files? I have a new dell Axium x51 and want to carry the Tarrin stories (among others) in it. :D

help!

Fawks
Get the MS Reader plugin for Word, and use that to convert your word .doc's to LIT.

MS Reader works very well.

I'm Using a Dell Axim X5 at the moment, actually.

Edit: http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/default.asp

The "Read in Microsoft Reader Plugin" is what you want.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Or try http://www.isilo.com and http://www.isilox.com I have the complete Tarrin Kael series plus the othe stories in a 7.3 MB file. Isilo allows for up to 66000 pages in a book/document. It does cost for the reader after it's demo period. But I won't give it up. I convert most of my reading to it. I especially use it for reading the Baen books. I like it as it book marks my place when I close it. Its fast. The files are relatively small. I can change font sizes easily depending on the situation and it works well in either portrait or landscape modes. I'm using it on a Dell axim x50v. Plus the developers are continually adding new features and removing bugs.

J-Man5
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

You know, I am wondering if there is a way to toss it onto the PSP...

It has a web-browser built in, just wondering how you'd store it..
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

J-Man5 wrote:Or try http://www.isilo.com and http://www.isilox.com I have the complete Tarrin Kael series plus the othe stories in a 7.3 MB file. Isilo allows for up to 66000 pages in a book/document. It does cost for the reader after it's demo period. But I won't give it up. I convert most of my reading to it. I especially use it for reading the Baen books. I like it as it book marks my place when I close it. Its fast. The files are relatively small. I can change font sizes easily depending on the situation and it works well in either portrait or landscape modes. I'm using it on a Dell axim x50v. Plus the developers are continually adding new features and removing bugs.

J-Man5
I've got every book in .LIT format from the Baen CD collection on my X5 - they're sitting on a 512M SD card, but that's all fine, heaps of spare room.

:)
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

I found a program, Mobipocket, that seems to work well. I cant find a batch file converter though. Oh well, cant have it all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying out the MS reader now too.

Fawks
ohtochooseaname
Talent

Post by ohtochooseaname »

I find that the best format for reading in PDA's is HTML. It loads quicker and completely. I believe that it can also preserve .doc links. Just open the file in Word and save it as an HTML.
"Few are they who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts." ~Albert Einstein.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

ohtochooseaname wrote:I find that the best format for reading in PDA's is HTML. It loads quicker and completely. I believe that it can also preserve .doc links. Just open the file in Word and save it as an HTML.
The only problem with HTML in the windows line of PDAs, is that you can't have multiple IE windows, so you lose your place if you need to visit a site, or if you reset the PDA for some reason -- using proper reader software shouldn't have this problem.
soyboy78
Talent

Post by soyboy78 »

:P For a reader that will use anything even zipped files, Try ubook at :arrow: http://www.gowerpoint.com/. I use it for all of Fel's work and more. it works great for me. :D
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

Spec8472 wrote:
ohtochooseaname wrote:I find that the best format for reading in PDA's is HTML. It loads quicker and completely. I believe that it can also preserve .doc links. Just open the file in Word and save it as an HTML.
The only problem with HTML in the windows line of PDAs, is that you can't have multiple IE windows, so you lose your place if you need to visit a site, or if you reset the PDA for some reason -- using proper reader software shouldn't have this problem.
The problem, as I see it, is that [s]the phone[/s] you're using Windows.

(Spot the reference and win a free cheese!)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

dstar wrote:The problem, as I see it, is that [s]the phone[/s] you're using Windows.

(Spot the reference and win a free cheese!)
some north american ad? ;)
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

Hearly wrote:You know, I am wondering if there is a way to toss it onto the PSP...

It has a web-browser built in, just wondering how you'd store it..
Hearly, Someone told me a few days ago, that the PSP has a memory stick slot. If true, that would be the way of viewing your stories on a PSP. :D
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

Isilo and Mobipocket is a better choice for reading documents. Especially large documents. The neat thing about them is, the reader remembers where you last were in the story / document and automaticaly opens to the same location. I tried MS Reader some, but again, the MS product crashed on me more often than Mobipocket does. :)

Mobipocket also has a desktop version of their reader. It acts as the doc/html converter. It also will remember where you last read a document.