My kingdom for a graphic artist.

Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Re: My kingdom for a graphic artist.

Post by Were_Fan »

Taltos wrote:
Fel wrote:Were he still living, he would be wearing his amulet and have his brands.
wow, now that's a major spoiler there... :)

anyway, somehow i fear this whole artwork stuff since _my_ picture of tarrin will definitely get mangled quite badly... :?
Hmmm ... how to say this without posting a spoiler ...

Don't panic about Tarrin being alive or dead.
Just keep reading.
--
Jim
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Fel wrote:Were-fan:

I thought everyone knew my email, lol...I don't keep it secret. ;)

randomified to piss off the webcrawler email fishbots:

faalken (AT) hotmail (dot) c o m

I check it like once a century, so never send me something that you consider important...PMing me here brings a much faster response. ;)
Ok, I'll PM you when I send the free Baen Webscription your way. Baen sends the subscription via email. If you want me to use any other email address for your subscription, just email me at jbstolin at att dot net

Any other email address you send will not be disclosed to anyone other than Baen for the WebScription.

--
Jim
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

Were_Fan wrote:
Taltos wrote:
Fel wrote:Were he still living, he would be wearing his amulet and have his brands.
wow, now that's a major spoiler there... :)

anyway, somehow i fear this whole artwork stuff since _my_ picture of tarrin will definitely get mangled quite badly... :?
Hmmm ... how to say this without posting a spoiler ...

Don't panic about Tarrin being alive or dead.
Just keep reading.
--
Jim
you can't spoil _me_, _i_ am up to speed, others may not be.. :-)
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

OK Shadowhawk, we were on the same page then.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Super C
Initiate

Post by Super C »

Update, sorta...

Well, my genious self decided to leave my drawing pencils at work so I'll have to pick them up tomorrow before I can really get into it (and I was in such a mood to draw tonight...). At any rate, I came up with a mock up of the weavespinner sharem that I wanted to send you to verify that's what it looks like. I dunno why but I just can't figure it out from the description, so this is what I came up with. I'm getting a deviant art page soon (hopefully over the weekend) but need a host. Lochar, can I send you the pic? It might prove more convenient for me to use the FTP though.
Super C
Initiate

Post by Super C »

Ok, managed to do a few sketches today while watching football (so naturally it took me the better part of the day to finish what would normally be a 20 minute sketch :P )

This is basically just to get the nitpicking process going (no reference used) so it's nowhere near perfect. Am I going in the right direction? I just realized I forgot to add the brands. I'll add that in the next pass.

Oddly enough, I actually drew a female mock up first. Initially it started out as Jesmind but ended up looking more like Rhanee (or at least my image of her). I can post that one if you want, but it's a really loose sketch.
Attachments
Tarrin_1.jpg
Super C
Initiate

Post by Super C »

Oh, and the shaerem I drew looks a lot like on of the existing ones in the library so no sense in reposting it.
Super C
Initiate

Post by Super C »

What the hey. Here's the female sketch. :)
Attachments
Rhanee_1.jpg
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Impressive.
Took me a while to figure out what you were doing with Tarrin there (from the thumbnail) :)
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Very cool. On the female, did you manage to get the toe claws? Hard to tell in a sketch.

Now I'm waiting for a standing Tarrin pic, or a group pic so that we can tell size differences. ;) Who knows, maybe we'll have you drawing Selani next.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Super C wrote:What the hey. Here's the female sketch. :)
Very nice. You are talented artist.

So, who would be next? Tarrin standing? Mist (before growth spur)? Triana? Jasana as a young child?
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Shadowhawk wrote:
Super C wrote:What the hey. Here's the female sketch. :)
Very nice. You are talented artist.

So, who would be next? Tarrin standing? Mist (before growth spur)? Triana? Jasana as a young child?
I'd love to see a group type picture, and we could see the differences in size between each of them, plus maybe add Dolanna for size comparison.

Support my brother.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Very nice and very close to what I envision, outside of just a couple of small issues. First, the most obvious one, concerning the female sketch:

Were-cats are pretty stocky, but they don't LOOK it quite as much as Rahnee's sketch. All Were-cats are quite tall and look very athletic.

Outside of her looking a little more like a dwarf than a Were-cat, everything else looks quite nice. The feet are spot-on except that the claws need to be a bit more present, and you have the correct proportion on the hands. And to my delight, you got the ears PERFECT. That is EXACTLY how large they should be; large enough to be pronounced, but not dominating the top of the head. And you got the tail proportion very, very close...they really ARE that long. Most people can't seem to grasp that. ;)

Tarrin's tail is just a touch too short, and Rahnee's is just a touch too long. Split the difference, and you're golden.

Thanks for the sketches, C. I, and just about everyone here, really appreciate you devoting time to it. :)

Hahaha, Tarrin next to Dolanna, Lochar? You realize her head barely comes up to the base of his ribcage?
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

that's what makes it so interesting Fel.

It would really give a person a sense of 'wow, he's damned tall'

We all know it anyways, but to see it is another thing.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Fel wrote:Very nice and very close to what I envision, outside of just a couple of small issues. First, the most obvious one, concerning the female sketch:
And the fact that there should be fur on legs up to knee, and on hands up to elbow. I wonder how the fur on the tail blends with the rest of the body.
Fel wrote:Were-cats are pretty stocky, but they don't LOOK it quite as much as Rahnee's sketch. All Were-cats are quite tall and look very athletic.
With exception of pre-Pyrosia Mist, of course. But the face didn't look like Mist face I imagined...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")