Demons Bane, Chapter 4 Discussion [SPOILER]

Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Demons Bane, Chapter 4 Discussion [SPOILER]

Post by Shadowhawk »

Were_Fan wrote:The loss of all that knowlege is what saddens me also. Maybe later in the series Fel can have Mother Wynn give Tarrin a library with all the books? However, maybe really important books like the Sennadar Blood War history are already in Mother Wynn's library.
With all that magic, couldn't the sages make their books invulnerable, or at least immutable to fire? Unless the library at the Sage Council consists of copies, cheap and made of local equivalent of (flammable) paper.

I wonder whether the Sage survived...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Or, between Tarrin and the Pyro Pegasus the fire cooked hot enough that it'd burn anything.

Everything burns. It just might be impossible to actually get a fire hot enough some times.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Lochar wrote:Or, between Tarrin and the Pyro Pegasus the fire cooked hot enough that it'd burn anything.

Everything burns. It just might be impossible to actually get a fire hot enough some times.
The temperature itself might be not enough. Try for example to burn the cube of ice. Burn defined as interact with oxigen from the air, not simply change state or change form. Borning steel in the air even if the temperature is very hot also cannot be done I think. I don't think Tarrin would be dousing the books/whatever in the liquid oxygen or some chemical oxygenating agent.

Shadowhawk, in physicist mode ;)
Lunchbox
Initiate

Post by Lunchbox »

speaking to animals is a innate druidic power
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Shadowhawk wrote:
Lochar wrote:Or, between Tarrin and the Pyro Pegasus the fire cooked hot enough that it'd burn anything.

The temperature itself might be not enough. Try for example to burn the cube of ice. Burn defined as interact with oxigen from the air, not simply change state or change form. Borning steel in the air even if the temperature is very hot also cannot be done I think. I don't think Tarrin would be dousing the books/whatever in the liquid oxygen or some chemical oxygenating agent.

Okay. Let me rephrase that for the physicist in the group. ;)

If nothing else, everything's got a point where it goes from solid to liquid to gas it just needs enough heat. Between Tarrin and the winged Pyromanic (the four legged one) they can make something hot enough to evaporate.

THERE
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
RedManX
Initiate

Post by RedManX »

lol not to be a pain in the arse... ok just to be a pain....

can someone show me liquid wood?
Hallmist
Sorcerer

Post by Hallmist »

RedManX wrote:lol not to be a pain in the arse... ok just to be a pain....

can someone show me liquid wood?
1) wood is a composite, and therefore doesnt have the same properties as pure substances (aka metals/elements)

2) liquid wood...hm...i can think of two ways:
give wood to fungus; wait a year or two; liquid wood.
or
wood putty! :)
Scientists dream it up.
Engineers make it work.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

RedManX wrote:can someone show me liquid wood?
Wood belong to the first category of substances, ones which reacts with oxygen (read: burn) when temperature is high enough.

And it is composite material. I wonder what would happen if wood was heated in neutral (oxygen free) atmosphere...

<hr size="5px" width="80%" align="center" noshade>
But all those sidenotes aside, I really do wonder why the library wasn't protected magically (books being spelled, magically enhanced shelves, tempetature restrictind spell for the room) and/or technically (material the books are made of) against fire, or having some kind of automatic (sprinklers - yes, I know water is almost as bad as fire, closing air ducts, filling the room with neutral gases e.g. carbon dioxide) or automagic (spell exhausting all fire) fire supression system.

I know that there is anti-violence rule in Crossroads, but that don't rule out insane people, fire-breathing animals, accidents (those absent-minded sages) or acts of Gods ;)

And if they are relying on personal response to fire, namely Sages extinguishing fire with spells, that is stupid too because the fire can happen when there is nobody present, and could go quite a long time unnoticed... until it is too late...
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Post by Were_Fan »

Shadowhawk wrote:Didn't Tarrin lost the arrows in fight? Or were there additional supply in the saddle?
Thee hath provided thine own answer. <LOL> Getting more arrows was the second thing Tarrin did when he got back on Fury near the end of the Demon ambush fight. I wonder if that lone Deva that fled a bit later was using common sense when it fled or if it knew about Niami's warning to Ch'Belle?
--
Jim
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

Lunchbox wrote:speaking to animals is a innate druidic power
Fury is more than just an animal and actually seems quite intelligent. She did understand Tarrin near the Core where all powers cease to function. However, Tarrin the Mishara Were-God is a rule breaker. Even his friends were to be allowed to break the One Rule that NOBODY is allowed to break without being killed by the Deva. I wonder just how many other rules don't apply to him.
--
Jim
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

Shadowhawk wrote:
Were_Fan wrote:The loss of all that knowlege is what saddens me also. Maybe later in the series Fel can have Mother Wynn give Tarrin a library with all the books? However, maybe really important books like the Sennadar Blood War history are already in Mother Wynn's library.
With all that magic, couldn't the sages make their books invulnerable, or at least immutable to fire? Unless the library at the Sage Council consists of copies, cheap and made of local equivalent of (flammable) paper.
The sages probably never dreamed of anyone wanting to burn their precious library. In the grand scheme of the Multiverse, it probably doesn't matrteer that the library was burned. I would rather have seen Tarin lay waste to the sage council that betrayed him than burn the books but what is done is done. I wonder if the library was insured? If so, there were probably the usual disclaimers about mold, flooding, ground subsidence and rampaging Werew Gods. <snicker>

I wonder whether the Sage survived...

I only remember about the receptionist getting out. Hmmmm, Tarrin is getting mellow. Earlier, he would have killed the sage without a thought.
--
Jim
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

Lochar wrote:
Shadowhawk wrote:

Okay. Let me rephrase that for the physicist in the group. ;)

If nothing else, everything's got a point where it goes from solid to liquid to gas it just needs enough heat. Between Tarrin and the winged Pyromanic (the four legged one) they can make something hot enough to evaporate.

THERE
Many things have solid/liquid/gas phases. However, many just decompose when heated (Think sugar, wood). A few, such as CO2, don't usually have a liquid phase (think CO2->dry ice evaporating). Some are hard to get into a liquid phase and have no known solid phase (think helium).

I agree with the intent of your original post however. Heat anything enough and it changes.
--
Jim
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

Shadowhawk wrote:
RedManX wrote:can someone show me liquid wood?
Wood belong to the first category of substances, ones which reacts with oxygen (read: burn) when temperature is high enough.

And it is composite material. I wonder what would happen if wood was heated in neutral (oxygen free) atmosphere...
Humans have been doing this for thousands of years. You can buy it by the bag and it helps to make tasty hamurrgers and steaks. It is called charcoal. :-)
<hr size="5px" width="80%" align="center" noshade>
But all those sidenotes aside, I really do wonder why the library wasn't protected magically (books being spelled, magically enhanced shelves, tempetature restrictind spell for the room) and/or technically (material the books are made of) against fire, or having some kind of automatic (sprinklers - yes, I know water is almost as bad as fire, closing air ducts, filling the room with neutral gases e.g. carbon dioxide) or automagic (spell exhausting all fire) fire supression system.

I know that there is anti-violence rule in Crossroads, but that don't rule out insane people, fire-breathing animals, accidents (those absent-minded sages) or acts of Gods ;)

And if they are relying on personal response to fire, namely Sages extinguishing fire with spells, that is stupid too because the fire can happen when there is nobody present, and could go quite a long time unnoticed... until it is too late...
I would have thought the sage library would have been protected also. Perhaps the sages were simply too arrogant to consider something like this happening. Fel may or may not address the issue of burning the library. Either way, it will be a lesson for anyone who dares to provoke the mighty Were God.

<humor on> Crossroads News Network (CNN), Crossroads Broadcasting Systems (CBS), Angel Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and Magical Sennadar News Broadcasting Corporation (MSNBC) all carried video footage of the burning library disaster. Among the ruins was a charred "No Smoking" sign.
<humor off>

--
Jim
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Were_Fan wrote:<humor on> Crossroads News Network (CNN), Crossroads Broadcasting Systems (CBS), Angel Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and Magical Sennadar News Broadcasting Corporation (MSNBC) all carried video footage of the burning library disaster. Among the ruins was a charred "No Smoking" sign.
<humor off>
ROFLMAO - Now that was funny!

J-Man5
sOmeone
Initiate

Post by sOmeone »

Were_Fan wrote:A few, such as CO2, don't usually have a liquid phase (think CO2->dry ice evaporating).
Not true, Carbon Dioxide has a liquid phase. You have to take Carbon Dioxide gas, then compress it, at the same time removing the heat from the compression. :-P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CO2