New Book

MISER
Katzh-dashi

New Book

Post by MISER »

Hello All,

As we have discussed authors we read and like regularly around here. I thought I would pass on that I was today informed Robert Jordans new volume is due out Jan 6 2004. It is to be entitled the New Spring. So for the Fantasy Fans. There is something post Christmas to look forward to.

Fel hope all went well with your finals and that you will recharge and renew the creative muse this holiday season. Perhaps even have a present for your loyal fan base? Indeed I wish we could return the favor.

John
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
Tylhandras
Initiate

Re: New Book

Post by Tylhandras »

Thanks for the heads up Miser.  I was begining to wonder when Jordan would get his next book out.

-Tyl
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

How many of them are there in English now?
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

guardian_mike wrote:How many of them are there in English now?
10.  I think.  Where are you from, Mike?

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Balthazar
Talent

Post by Balthazar »

The new book is a prequel not book 11.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

mommydoom wrote:
10. I think. Where are you from, Mike?

MD
Sweden.

The annoying thing with Books translated to Swedish from English, is that they tend to almost double in size. I've got some 16-18 books from Jordan. It gets a bit expensive at that point...
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

guardian_mike wrote: Sweden.

The annoying thing with Books translated to Swedish from English, is that they tend to almost double in size. I've got some 16-18 books from Jordan. It gets a bit expensive at that point...
Your English seems perfect... why not just get them in English?
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
MISER
Katzh-dashi

Post by MISER »

HOWDY

OK I DID SOME CHECKING. THIS IS A NEW NOVEL. IT ISN'T ONE OF JORDAN'S PUBLISHERS INFAMOUS SHORT PREQUELS. IT IS A PREQUEL IN THE SENSE THAT IT IS A NEW NOVEL ABOUT THE THINGS AND CHARACTERS THAT WENT BEFORE THE SERIES STARTED, SOME HISTORY AND CHARACTER BUILDING APPARENTLY. HERE IS A TEASER STATEMENT FROM A MAJOR BOOK SELLER I LIFTED.

From America's premier fantasy writer---#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Crossroads of Twilight---comes an expanded version of his novella "New Spring," first published in the Legends collection.

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the Royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power. "New Spring" related some of these events, in compressed form; New Spring: The Novel tells the whole story.

IT WOULD REALLY BE NICE IF MR JORDAN WERE TO FINISH THIS SERIES IN MY LIFETIME OR EVEN IN HIS, AS WELL AS GET PAST WHAT MAY BE THE BIGGEST WRITERS BLOCK SINCE J K ROWLING PUT OUT HARRY POTTER 5. BUT THE SERIES IS INTRIGING, THE WORKS TO DATE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LAST VOLUME HAVE BEEN WONDERFUL. ROWLING HAS SAID SHE WILL ONLY DO THE PLANNED 7 VOLUME SERIES OF POTTER. IF SHE GETS BACK ON HER FEET THIS IS THE KIND OF STUFF THAT WILL KEEP HER READERS TUNED IN. BUT SHE MR JORDAN AND OTHERS OWE THOSE OF US WHO ARE FAITHFUL READERS NEW WORKS WORTHY OF THE TALENTS THEY ORIGINALLY DISPLAYED TO THE PUBLIC. I WILL BUY THIS VOLUME JUST LIKE I DID HP5 I HOPE IT FILLS IN SOME BLANKS AND PULLS SOME STORY TOGETHER. AND THAT THE NEXT VOLUME WILL BE A WONDERFUL CONTINUATION OF A FACINATING SERIES, HELPING IT TO A SOLID CONCLUSION.

HERES MY CHAPTER FOR TODAY. LOL:}

JOHN
IF ITS IN ALL CAPS "DEAL WITH IT!"
Have a good day or night or something.
Purrs and Growlls to you all !!!!!
John
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

The WOT series is okay and I want to know what happens but I hate how slow the story moves its like "if I write another 10 books I can make lots of money out of this"

Okay perhaps that outlook is a bit cynical but he just keeps adding new threads to the story all (well most) of which will have to be brought together to end the series in a way that makes the reader think it was worth reading rather than the current "oh god, I've spent many years and many dollars on this and it goes nowhere" its my opinion that the series could be 2-3 books shorter if he didn't put in so much padding (I'm not specifically talking about removing plot elements, I'm talking about rambling on about something when we already have the idea).

That said I'll likely read the prequel and the rest of the WOT series when it comes out but the prospect of him branching off yet again doesn't thrill me.

</rant>
Last edited by Greymist on Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

I have yet to read book ten, although I've read the previous nine. Why? Well, after book three he kindof lost me. I like them well enough, but all this political stuff usually goes way over my head, and the last three books especially (speaking of 7-9) seemed to be nothing BUT. I think ten is out in paperback now, so I'll have to take a look.

And that prequel thing sounds interesting. I'll admit a certain curiousity to the events the first book only hinted at, and it'll be a welcome break from Rand's attitude.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

mommydoom wrote: ..
Your English seems perfect... why not just get them in English?
I would if i could. Unfortunatly, the bookstores seems to think that next to none can understand english, so there are never any english books there. I don't have a credit card, so that kills the online option. I've tried to download the books, but i never got them in an format i could really use.

There's not much i can do about it, even though i would like to...
Mateo
Talent

Post by Mateo »

[quote="guardian_mike"]
I would if i could. Unfortunatly, the bookstores seems to think that next to none can understand english, so there are never any english books there.
quote]

Have you tried asking the bookstore to order them for you? I live in Denmark and used to have the same problem with translated books, but now I ask if they'll order the book home for me and I dont have that problem. Its a bit pricier than ordering via the net, but sometimes its actually cheaper than the translated book  :)
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

I haden't thought of that... But then what will i do with the books i already have? I can't just throw them away...
Uncle_Rand
Initiate

Post by Uncle_Rand »

>:( I wrote a huge reply to the discussion about the WOT series being too long or convoluted, but in the end I didn't want to start an argument, so I just want to say this: I love the Wheel of Time series, and I hope it runs to at least 30 books.

Oh, and for anyone else who, like Wildcat, is having troubles with the politics of the series, I had the same problem figuring out what was going on and one day I decided to read the books in reverse order. It helped a lot by seeing what people were doing in the later books and then reading what had led up to it. Just a suggestion though.

Uncle Rand
qhitch
Initiate

Post by qhitch »

guardian_mike wrote:I haden't thought of that... But then what will i do with the books i already have? I can't just throw them away...

I have Robert Jordan's 9 WOT books in PDF form. If you want it, just PM.