Hurricane Katrina

Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi
Location: NorAm, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, GalacZip 314-159-265-358-979

Re: Hurricane Katrina

Post by Were_Fan »

fiferguy wrote:
But if you think about it, EVERYONE lives in a place where a disaster is waiting to happen. No matter where you live, there are natural and unnatural disasters that are waiting to happen. Is building a house below sea level on a hurricane prone coast the wisest thing in the world? Probably not, but is building in Tornado Alley any better? Is living in an area prone to massive lake-effect snow any better? An area prone to mudslides, blizzards, avalanches, forest fires, grass fires, etc?
<snip>

Fifer
 However, disasters you mentioned are UNLIKELY to happen.  I live in Illinois.  Illinois gets tornados every year.  However, it is VERY unlikely that you will get hit by a tornado.  I'm 50 years old.  My parents are 80.  I have 13 aunts and uncles, a multitude of cousins and three sisters plus all their children living all over the country.  None of us have ever been in a tornado.  New Orleans can expect hurricanes EVERY YEAR!  They also are below sea level and sink another 1/2 inch into the mud EVERY YEAR.  It is the magnitude and probability of the disaster that matters.  See the difference?

BTW, lake effect snow can be a bother or something to enjoy.  It is not a disaster.

--
Jim
--
Jim/Were Fan
http://ilcomps.com
Baen Book free SciFi CDs:
http://www.ilcomps.com/Baen/Baen_index.htm
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

were_fan wrote: Leave the windows CLOSED if a tornado is expected.
Oh? I always was under the impression that you should leave the windows open so the wind blows through the house, not being able to build up enough negative pressure to lift the roof off?

Anyways, I am hearing different opinions about the whole thing in Austria.
Some people don't understand why Bush is now crying for help from all the other nations, and exactly why they should spend/donate money to a nation which is able and willing to put i-dunno-how-many millions of dollars a day into the war in Iraq...
furthermore, not being able to provide proper relief operations, while being able to set up a military base infrastructure and logistics anywhere on this planet in shortest time, seems a bit weird, especially when one considers the sheer volume of infrastructure and logistics capacity available to the U.S. However, this may for a big part be a failure of the FEMA.

All of this said, i do realize that the "small" man will be most affected by all of this, and they are not guilty, so it's sort of a bad situation. If we help, the guys who need help get it, while on the other hand the responsible guys get away once more. If we don't help, the people on the street get no help (from us), and the responsibles get to feel the consequences of their foolish policy....
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

hearly wrote:Fiferguy, I think the problem isn't so much that they "build" in potential disaster area's, I think it's the Government's fault for always assuming it will never happen..

For example Bush cut the Army Corp of Eng. Budget last year, they are the ones responsible for mantaining the levy's etc..

Now I'm not saying spending billions of dollars on trying to make something 100% safe which is impossible, but there are plenty of examples in the world on how to build levy's that prevent a lot of what happened in New Orleans which would have not cost that much, but the gov't didn't feel it was nessasary..

One Important thing that came out of this, It just shows how much We are ill prepared for another terrorist attack, I mean it took them 4 days just to get food/water into people when the roads were pretty much cleared (to the convention center) What happens if a Dirty bomb or heck even a full nuke goes off someplace.. All the Money they've spent on Homeland defense, seems to be very much a joke, if Katrina is any example of how the Fed Gov't responds to a disaster...
 But when is enough enough?  $430 million of federal plus $50 million of state money has been spent on New Orleans levees in fighting a never ending battle.  1/2 BILLION dollars later and the problem is still not solved.  Some levees have sunk 4 feet.  New Orleans is still sinking into the mud.  We can't stop that.  Another billion or 10 billion $$$ won't stop the sinking.

Other folks are catching on.  Interesting article at:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1001051313
"The system is in great shape, but the levees are sinking. Everything is sinking, and if we don't get the money fast enough to raise them, then we can't stay ahead of the settlement," he said. "The problem that we have isn't that the levee is low, but that the federal funds have dried up so that we can't raise them."
http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytoo ... 02331.html
The big debate once we rescue the living and bury the dead will be whether we want to rebuild a city with a million people living below sea level, or re-locate it further north along the river. Because this will happen again - and the levees both make New Orleans possible and make its demise ineventiable, along with many other factors.
Want to know some costs?
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/natio ... yhGD6nWxJA
"It would take $2.5 billion to build a Category 5 protection system, and we're talking about tens of billions in losses, all that lost productivity, and so many lost lives and injuries and personal trauma you'll never get over," Mr. Naomi said. "People will be scarred for life by this event."
  But, remember that the levees are sinking with the rest of New Orleans.  The levee system will need another $2.5 billion, then another $2.5 billion, then another $2.5 billion, then ... the rest of the country will just have to keep paying to keep New Orleans afloat.

You can Google
"new Orleans" levee budget
for lots more info.

--
Jim
--
Jim/Were Fan
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

taltos wrote:
Oh? I always was under the impression that you should leave the windows open so the wind blows through the house, not being able to build up enough negative pressure to lift the roof off?

Anyways, I am hearing different opinions about the whole thing in Austria.
It used to be recommend leaving windows open to "equalize the pressure". However, it was found that there is a "balloon" effect caused by wind entering open windows. Most home failures uccur when a garage door fails and then the roof or second story is then lifted off the rest of the building.

See:
http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/NWSTornado/
Some people don't understand why Bush is now crying for help from all the other nations, and exactly why they should spend/donate money to a nation which is able and willing to put i-dunno-how-many millions of dollars a day into the war in Iraq...
furthermore, not being able to provide proper relief operations, while being able to set up a military base infrastructure and logistics anywhere on this planet in shortest time, seems a bit weird, especially when one considers the sheer volume of infrastructure and logistics capacity available to the U.S.
Think I'm harsh about the New Orleans disaster? Please don't let me get started on the Iraq war. It is a money maker for the Bush's oil interests and Vice President Cheney's company. Remember the no-bid contract for "reconstruction"? Cheney is not working for Haliburton now but what about his stock ownership and who will he be working for after his term ends. Nuff said.
However, this may for a big part be a failure of the FEMA.
It is a failure of New Orleans residents to realize that they are/were in a sinking ship and refuse to board lifeboats or swim for shore. The situation will be the same after the city gets pumped out. It WILL happen again. New Orleans and its levees are sinking into the mud.

Is it the responsibility of any government or agency to protect people from their own stupidity? If you think that it is, consider that again when the government insists on controlling ALL aspects of your life. Didn't go to bed at 10PM? You will endanger other drivers on the street so we will fine you and lock you up. Decide to smoke? You will get lung cancer and become a burden on the health system so the government will just shoot you now and save the medical expense. Etc. SCARY!!!
All of this said, i do realize that the "small" man will be most affected by all of this, and they are not guilty, so it's sort of a bad situation. If we help, the guys who need help get it, while on the other hand the responsible guys get away once more. If we don't help, the people on the street get no help (from us), and the responsibles get to feel the consequences of their foolish policy....
The "small man" and the rest of the New Orleans residents KNEW this day was coming. They are guilty of complacency about their situation and while that is not a crime, it was and is utter stupidity. They elected their government officials. They decided to let other people wory about the problem of sinking city and levees. It is NOT the rest of the country's or world's fault because we weren't prepared to help them in the mess they created and live in.
--
Jim

edited for spelling
Last edited by Were_Fan on Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Jim/Were Fan
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

taltos wrote:another sad development: http://www.overclockers.at/attachment.p ... ntid=84681
  That page shows two pictures from Yahoo News.  In one, a white couple are described as "finding" food and a black person is described as "looting" food.  Boos and thumbs down to Yahoo.  That is a sad and racist stereotype.  I wouldn't describe either situation as looting.  It was survival.

However, the videos of people raiding stores for TVs and other non-survival items was looting.  Some people stayed in New Orleans just to loot.  From there, some started robbing, raping and murdering.  Shots are fired at rescue workers to keep the lawless situation so the crime spree can continue.  A gang of 8 armed criminals attacked workers on the way to repair a levee.  Thankfully, the police killed several of the criminals.  Too bad they didn't get them all.
--
Jim
--
Jim/Were Fan
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Possible solution would be to allow the river's delta to build up. Then New Orleans delta area wouldn't sink below sea level, and need ever raising levees.

BTW. for intelligent reaction (like not living in flood prone areas) you need educated people. Think about it.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
sOmeone
Initiate

Post by sOmeone »

were_fan wrote:  Think I'm harsh about the New Orleans disaster?  Please don't let me get started on the Iraq war.  It is a money maker for the Bush's oil interests and Vice President Cheney's company.  Remember the no-bid contract for "reconstruction"?
LOL    can anybody say Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory.
Clinton gave Halliburton a no-bid contract to do work in the Balkans.   GASP!!!   He must be a part of the VRWC too.
Last edited by sOmeone on Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

shadowhawk wrote: BTW. for intelligent reaction (like not living in flood prone areas) you need educated people. Think about it.
You know though, it's the "intelligent" people that will have the hardest times.  There are people who live deep in the swamps that won't have that hard a time.  The school boats--that's right, boats--don't even go that far into the swamps, because a lot of them didn't come back out.  But there are poeple in there.  And I guarantee that those old boys will make it a lot better than the so called "educated and civilized" people living in the city.

Also, were_fan said "Houses could be built stronger to survive some weaker tornados."  You can't build a house strong enough for a Category V tornado.  I lived in Midwest City when the May 3rd tornado came though, and I helped with the cleanup and rescue efforts.  When a tornado pulls concrete slabs out of the ground, and unroots trees, nothing is strong enough to not get knocked down.  The best place to be is not in the way of it, cause if you are there won't be anything left.

The problem with that is, there are people who can't get out of the way.  Either they're too poor, too afraid, or just don't know in time.  I know for myself, I can go days or weeks without turning on a TV or a radio.  And I have several of each.  Now if I was poorer, and I didn't have those things, I might not know about it till it hit.  Or if you simply couldn't afford to get out of the way.  I mean, all of us sit in our nice heated and air conditioned rooms, but a lot of the people in New Orleans are the poorest of the poor.  It's already been stated that Louisiana is a poor state.  So these would be the poorest of the poor.

Or perhaps they didn't want to leave their house and possessions.  As someone who also can't afford insurance, I can understand that as well.

So all in all, I don't fault the people for staying, despite knowing (or not knowing) what was coming.  I fault the 3-4 days to get help down there.

Did they know that there was a possiblity that a hurricane could eventually strike New Orleans?  Sure.  So does everyone from Virginia Beach to Brownsville.  At one time or another, these places will get hit by a hurricane.  And in the Bahamas and the rest of the Caribbean.  Should all these people move?

Now the obvious response to this would be, "Yes, but New Orleans was under the water level.  So they were stupid."  To which my response would be, well, what about all the homes in Southern California that are on the side of a hill.  Should they move so they don't get caught in a mud slide?

I have to agree, you probably could live all your life and never see a tornado.  I myself have sense enough to get in the storm cellar when one's even rumored to be headed my way.  But I can count at least 3 different times that the City of Moore has been devastated by a tornado in the last 10 years.  Should all the people in Moore pack up and move?

I think the point is, it's not where you live.  There are GOING to be natural disasters.  No matter how much preparation you do, no matter how much you plan, they are going to hit you.  People are going to die and property and possessions are going to get destroyed.  The most important thing, and the one that the Bush administration has heartily botched, is to get the people effected help as quickly as possible.

Fifer

P.S.  Were_Fan, I also am trained in Search and Rescue, both high altitude, normal, and underwater.  I am a certified EMT, as well as Rescue Diver.  I've worked most of the major tornadoes, the Murrah Building Bombing, and I was on a bus headed to Manhattan when they told us to turn back.  I expect tornadoes every year.  They're a common enough occurance.  They usually don't hit the same place twice.  Hurricanes happen every year, but they DON'T always hit New Orleans.  Just like an earthquake, mudslide, volcano eruption, flood, blizzard, etc.  There are prone areas, but every place that anyone lives in is prone to one thing or another.  Saying they "KNEW' this day was coming is like saying I know that I'll get hit by a bus tomorrow.  You can't predict 20 years or even a year in advance where a natural disaster will occur.  You can predict when circumstances are right for a natural disaster, but you can't predict where it will happen.  A draught is a good indication that a grassfire or a flood could happen is a good example, but doesn't tell you where it will happen.  If you want to take that approach, everyone on this planet is living on borrowed time.

P.P.S.  Lake Effect snow can be a natural disaster if it dumps 8 feet overnight... been there.
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

shadowhawk wrote:Possible solution would be to allow the river's delta to build up. Then New Orleans delta area wouldn't sink below sea level, and need ever raising levees.

BTW. for intelligent reaction (like not living in flood prone areas) you need educated people. Think about it.
 No, the river delta building up won't prevent New Orleans from sinking into the mud it is built upon.
--
Jim
--
Jim/Were Fan
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

someone wrote: LOL can anybody say Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Theory.
Clinton gave Halliburton a no-bid contract to do work in the Balkans. GASP!!! He must be a part of the VRWC too.
  Oh, man, don't get me started on the guy who put the presidency up for sale.  Billy "On your knees" Clinton cut deals with everyone from the drug dealer to the Chinese spy to the various criminal interests who "donated to Hillary's library" then got pardons for criminals such as the multi-billionaire tax evader.  Sob! Cry! Weep!
--
Jim
--
Jim/Were Fan
Were_Fan
Katzh-dashi

Post by Were_Fan »

fiferguy wrote:
You know though, it's the "intelligent" people that will have the hardest times. There are people who live deep in the swamps that won't have that hard a time. The school boats--that's right, boats--don't even go that far into the swamps, because a lot of them didn't come back out. But there are poeple in there. And I guarantee that those old boys will make it a lot better than the so called "educated and civilized" people living in the city.

Also, were_fan said "Houses could be built stronger to survive some weaker tornados." You can't build a house strong enough for a Category V tornado. I lived in Midwest City when the May 3rd tornado came though, and I helped with the cleanup and rescue efforts. When a tornado pulls concrete slabs out of the ground, and unroots trees, nothing is strong enough to not get knocked down. The best place to be is not in the way of it, cause if you are there won't be anything left.
  Since we are talking about hurricane, I understand your "category V" typo instead of "F5".  Please note that I said "weaker" tornado as in F0 to F3.    Sorry for not being specific.  Steel reinforced concrete will usually stand up to F3 but be damaged in an F4.  You could build a structure to withstand F5 but its steel reinforced walls would probably need to be 3 or more feet thick .. think a wedge shaped pillbox.
Tornado F scale:
http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm
The problem with that is, there are people who can't get out of the way. Either they're too poor, too afraid, or just don't know in time. I know for myself, I can go days or weeks without turning on a TV or a radio. And I have several of each. Now if I was poorer, and I didn't have those things, I might not know about it till it hit. Or if you simply couldn't afford to get out of the way. I mean, all of us sit in our nice heated and air conditioned rooms, but a lot of the people in New Orleans are the poorest of the poor. It's already been stated that Louisiana is a poor state. So these would be the poorest of the poor.
 If you read some of my other posts, I mentioned the poor, sick and elderly.  They were screwed by the local plans that had no procedures for evacuatiing them.   That IS the responsibility of local disaster plans.
Or perhaps they didn't want to leave their house and possessions. As someone who also can't afford insurance, I can understand that as well.
 If it is life or posessions, we all make a choice.  Some of the New Orleans folks made the wrong choice.  Don't know why but maybe we can pray for their souls.
So all in all, I don't fault the people for staying, despite knowing (or not knowing) what was coming. I fault the 3-4 days to get help down there.
 The TV reports showed the refugees going to the Superdome so all was apparently well.  Well, we all know now that it wasn't well now.  Federal aid must be requested then not tied up in red tape.  A mobile hospital was held up by bureaucrats.  Their help was refused.
See: http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/09/04/ka ... cnn_latest

Did they know that there was a possiblity that a hurricane could eventually strike New Orleans? Sure. So does everyone from Virginia Beach to Brownsville. At one time or another, these places will get hit by a hurricane. And in the Bahamas and the rest of the Caribbean. Should all these people move?
  And they will rebuild the same relatively flimsy structures that won't withstand hurricane winds.  Sad.  However, New Orleans is a special case.  Folks keep buiulding on mud in a city that is 20 feet below sea level and still sinking WITH its levees.  Thousands of years of building experience is ignored.  So sad.
Now the obvious response to this would be, "Yes, but New Orleans was under the water level. So they were stupid." To which my response would be, well, what about all the homes in Southern California that are on the side of a hill. Should they move so they don't get caught in a mud slide?
 SoCal area is again different.  Homes were built where there was a previous mudslide.  How many people were sold homes that didn't know about the problem?

[/quote]
I have to agree, you probably could live all your life and never see a tornado. I myself have sense enough to get in the storm cellar when one's even rumored to be headed my way. But I can count at least 3 different times that the City of Moore has been devastated by a tornado in the last 10 years. Should all the people in Moore pack up and move?
[/quote]

South Pekin has been hit several times also.  Odds don't guarantee you won't get hit two years, months days or hours in a row.  Rebuild and drive on!  However, I'd surely use concretre and have a deep, strong basement.
I think the point is, it's not where you live. There are GOING to be natural disasters. No matter how much preparation you do, no matter how much you plan, they are going to hit you. People are going to die and property and possessions are going to get destroyed. The most important thing, and the one that the Bush administration has heartily botched, is to get the people effected help as quickly as possible.

Fifer
 You do uinderstand that the states have to request Federal aid, don't you?  The armed forces can't just march in since the Constitution forbids that.  A similar relationship exists between local and state authorities.  The states apparently tied things up in red tape or simply didn't have plans.

P.S. Were_Fan, I also am trained in Search and Rescue, both high altitude, normal, and underwater. I am a certified EMT, as well as Rescue Diver. I've worked most of the major tornadoes, the Murrah Building Bombing, and I was on a bus headed to Manhattan when they told us to turn back. I expect tornadoes every year. They're a common enough occurance. They usually don't hit the same place twice. Hurricanes happen every year, but they DON'T always hit New Orleans. Just like an earthquake, mudslide, volcano eruption, flood, blizzard, etc. There are prone areas, but every place that anyone lives in is prone to one thing or another. Saying they "KNEW' this day was coming is like saying I know that I'll get hit by a bus tomorrow. You can't predict 20 years or even a year in advance where a natural disaster will occur. You can predict when circumstances are right for a natural disaster, but you can't predict where it will happen. A draught is a good indication that a grassfire or a flood could happen is a good example, but doesn't tell you where it will happen. If you want to take that approach, everyone on this planet is living on borrowed time.
 Then you are much more highly trained in Search and Rescue than I am.  I hope you have been able to put that training to good use in the current disaster.  Also hope if you went to New Orleans that the criminals didn't shoot at you.

P.P.S. Lake Effect snow can be a natural disaster if it dumps 8 feet overnight... been there.
[/quote]
Folks used to stay inside when it snowed a lot.  Or, they had snow shoes.

--
Jim
--
Jim/Were Fan
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Also hope if you went to New Orleans that the criminals didn't shoot at you.
I've been shooting since I was 3, and I'm a classed shot with pistol, shotgun, and rifle.  I'm not scared.  And if I die, it's merely my time.  I do not fear death, or anything else for that matter.

I did go to Houston to help with the refuges there over Labor Day weekend.  It's a sad state of affairs, but I still can't blame them for staying.  Just like I can't blame the people who still refuse to leave.  Everything they know and everything they own is in the ruins of New Orleans.  I think that they have the right to stay where they want.  If it kills them, well, they have that right too.  It's better to die standing up for what you believe in than living in shame.  And to me, abandoning everything I knew because things were hard would be shameful.

Were_Fan, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Nothing I say will make you change your mind, and nothing you say will make me change my mind.  It's the way of life, sometimes.  The only thing I'll add is that no matter who you are, you have the right to choose how to live your life.  If someone feels that staying in New Orleans is what they have to do, for whatever reason, I'll support that.  And I'll also help them when they need it, as many of them do now.

Fifer