Finished new backup site

Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Re: Finished new backup site

Post by Weresmilodon »

Lochar brought the page down along with his computor for Updating. Not sure if it worked or not though. It seems to be down right now at least, so he could have encountered some problems...
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

SOME problems? Try a lot. I can't get my computer to boot back up. SNAFU+FUBAR=My computer. The mobo seems to be fried, but when I put a new one in, it still won't boot, and all of the other pieces check out in another computer.  I'm on someone else's computer right now.
Last edited by Lochar on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Feanuonn
Initiate

Post by Feanuonn »

lochar wrote:The mobo seems to be fried, but when I put a new one in, it still won't boot, and all of the other pieces check out in another computer.
Ummm... I'm no expert by a longshot so forgive me if my suggestions seem too obvious, but have you checked to make sure your mobo is not grounding itself out to the case? I have heard of missing or incorrect screws and standoffs causing wierd problems. Also check to make sure side-panel underneath (behind?) mobo is absolutely clear of backside of mobo. Knew a guy who had a problem with his new mobo not working correctly when he had the case all on, but would work when he took the panels off to check it. After a few trys of this, he noticed a small scorch mark on that panel where a pin (or maybe a solder bump) was just close enough to it to cause a spark gap. I believe he fixed it with some insulating tape (want to say basic electricians) over the pin/bump.
Failing that, check your board power connections again. Even experts have been known to put some of those in upside down if the mobo or PS doesn't have the proper keying (those little stand-off blank spots that are designed to make the plugs only fit one way)
Again, I realize these may be insultingly obvious things to you and if they are I am sorry. I hope this might help though.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

What did you do? Install a new mothercard or CPU? In that case you must reinstall windows. Please, a bit more information. It's hard to help when you know nothing about the problem...
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Mike: New mobo.  I don't even get to the point where I CAN install windows.

Fean:  I'll try that, I didn't think of that.  Thanks.

Support my brother.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Mobo dosen't tell me anything. It probably has another name here. Or is it shortened down from something?
Feanuonn
Initiate

Post by Feanuonn »

guardian_mike wrote:Mobo dosen't tell me anything. It probably has another name here. Or is it shortened down from something?
mobo = motherboard
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Ah. Windows is customized after your Motherboard and CPU. After you install new, you need to reinstall Windows. I did this just last month, and i use Windows XP. I'm not sure if it applies to both though.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Mike, the computer WON'T BOOT AT ALL.  It doesn't get to the point where I would be able to reinstall windows.

Fean, something is rotten.  I got a different mobo, and it still doesn't work.  To make sure of it, I pulled it completely out of the case and it still doesn't work.  I only had the mobo and processor hooked up, but the processor boots in a friend's computer, with all of my pieces.   :'(  WHAT THE HELL is wrong with this damned thing!  I even hooked the mobo up to a second power supply that I know for a fact works and still nothing!

Support my brother.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Damn, that sounds worse than what i usually have to deal with...

Ok, a small points that you might forget or not think about; The Battery for BIOS. It might be dead, but i doubt it.

Does your old mobo still work? Or can't you check? Is the power-supply dead? Are the processor and the mobo compatible? (I doubt it's this one)

The problem with upgrading, and in general, changing Hardware... Makes me glad that i might not have to deal with it for several months again...
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

guardian_mike wrote:Damn, that sounds worse than what i usually have to deal with...

Ok, a small points that you might forget or not think about; The Battery for BIOS. It might be dead, but i doubt it.
Nope, checked that
Does your old mobo still work? Or can't you check? Is the power-supply dead? Are the processor and the mobo compatible? (I doubt it's this one)
old mobo burned up first, that's why I'm in such a mess
The problem with upgrading, and in general, changing Hardware... Makes me glad that i might not have to deal with it for several months again...
I don't think I"m gonna mess with my computer again for at least a YEAR after this fiasco.

FYI, the processor had about half the pins burnt up.  That seems to be the root of all this evil.  I've got a new one on order now.  Hopefully I get it soon.

Support my brother.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

In that case, you might want to check the rest of the cards that was in it at the time it burnt. If the CPU got burnt, the cards might have as well.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Nope, it worked with another mobo/processor.

Support my brother.
Feanuonn
Initiate

Post by Feanuonn »

Ok...given that you had a fatal error of the smoky kind, I'm gonna remind you of something I am SURE you already know but some part of me feels the need to remind you of anyway.

Make sure you use a grounding strap and an electro-static safe workspace.

I mention this only because I would hate to see your head explode from the frustration caused when your new CPU or mobo or the old cards get zapped on accident.
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Trust me, I'm definately going to be well grounded for the next install.  I am NOT smoking another processor.

Support my brother.