Subjugation in the rest of the world

jnormg
Novice

Subjugation in the rest of the world

Post by jnormg »

Although it is kind of important (to me, at least), the US is not all of Earth. I wonder what is happening in the rest of the world? What about Europe? Russia? China, with it huge population? Australia? the Pacific islands, including the Phillipines and Indonesia? We know since the UN as a whole tendered Earth's surrender that all these places were involved, but how is the subjugation developing there? Are there latent telepaths there as well? Surely with its huge population density, China must have at least a few telepaths, either latent or expressed. What about technical universities such as Tulane? Although US natives are good, they do not have a monopoly on intelligence.

Don't think I'm knocking the good old U S of A. I am a Texan and proud to be an American. But, having lived and worked for a good part of my life overseas, I am curious how the Subjugation would affect some of the other peoples and cultures I am familiar with.

Norm Gober
::)
Last edited by jnormg on Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: Subjugation in the rest of the world

Post by Shadowhawk »

I wonder how fared the countries with history of partisan restistance and guerilla warfare, like e.g. Palestina, Poland, Vietnam, Ireland and Scotland (now that might be interesting, with probably hight percentage of latent human teeps). With double thinking, restricting thoughts, cellurar organisation... See Guerilla warfare thread.

What about areas unsuitable for Faey farms? How would tha affect immigration?

And the hard to answer question: how the existence of other sentient races would affect largest Earth religions, i.e. Christianity (with Roman Catholic Church which has it's own government (well, kind of) not under United Nations I think), Islam (would they call jihad against Faey?), Judaism...

P.S. It would be nice to include "Subjugation" somewhere in the title, to not be misleading...
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

there is a old saying around australia..... give an australian a piece of fencing wire and he will fix anything

i think jason has spent some time here because he has the same attitude and the il do it! no matter what he has got to work with...

(warning blatent ego boost for australians)

but it would be nice if we heard something about the rest of the world under the rule of the fey
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

mechcraft wrote:there is a old saying around australia..... give an australian a piece of fencing wire and he will fix anything
(warning blatent ego boost for australians)
Hey I'm not complaining but the same can also be said about New Zealanders (I've lived more of my life in New Zealand than any other country so I have to put in a plug for it).
I bet the Chinese wouldn't be that interesting to explore, they have a group mentality and have been forced to work in the countryside before (during the cultural revolution many students were sent to the country side but their were also passes which kept those in the countryside there).
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Addicted
Novice

Post by Addicted »

My guess is that the citizens of China would be have a "don't stick my neck out" mentality.  So basically everyone would conform to what the Faey want.  I don't recall a mention of Faey policy towards cultural events.  Is there one regarding the various human events and holidays  (Christmas, etc)?
Duty is Honour, and the price of Honour is Blood.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

addicted wrote:My guess is that the citizens of China would be have a "don't stick my neck out" mentality. So basically everyone would conform to what the Faey want. I don't recall a mention of Faey policy towards cultural events. Is there one regarding the various human events and holidays (Christmas, etc)?
I wonder what it would mean for the Middle East Being the Faey would have transformed the Desert's there?

Just how would they view that feat?

Are the Faey Now the Greater Satan ?

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
jnormg
Novice

Post by jnormg »

Shadowhawk said--

P.S. It would be nice to include "Subjugation" somewhere in the title, to not be misleading...

Good Point. I promise to do better next time.

It occurs to me that one of the tiny islands in the Pacific might make a great base for Jason. I lived on Kwajalein, in the Marshall Islands, for a couple of years while I ran the telemetry system for the down-range terminus of the Anti-Ballistic Missile test program. It is only two square miles in area. I am sure the Faey would have demilitarized it and it has plenty of housing and all kinds of other technical facilities, including a 1600-foot runway. There are also more than 150 other smaller islands in the atoll, most of which are  (or were then) unpopulated. Distance is not really a problem, since it took less than half an hour for an ICBM launched from California to impact in the Kwalalein lagoon. Being so isolated, it probably would not have many surveillance pods orbiting over it.

On second thought, Jason woudn't like it--he hates heat and Kwajalein is warm and humid, even more so than New Orleans.  Maybe one of the islands in the Aleutians?

Just a thought.

Norm Gober
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

jnormg wrote:Shadowhawk said--

Good Point. I promise to do better next time.
You have Modify privileges for this thread you so you can change the subject line if you want to
jnormg wrote:Shadowhawk also Wrote--

It occurs to me that one of the tiny islands in the Pacific might make a great base for Jason. I lived on Kwajalein, in the Marshall Islands, for a couple of years while I ran the telemetry system for the down-range terminus of the Anti-Ballistic Missile test program. It is only two square miles in area. I am sure the Faey would have demilitarized it and it has plenty of housing and all kinds of other technical facilities, including a 1600-foot runway. There are also more than 150 other smaller islands in the atoll, most of which are (or were then) unpopulated. Distance is not really a problem, since it took less than half an hour for an ICBM launched from California to impact in the Kwalalein lagoon. Being so isolated, it probably would not have many surveillance pods orbiting over it.

On second thought, Jason woudn't like it--he hates heat and Kwajalein is warm and humid, even more so than New Orleans. Maybe one of the islands in the Aleutians?

Just a thought.

Norm Gober
Good idea but right now hiding out in a Crowd
is best for jason right now.  it also makes it harder for the Trillane to just make him disappear no questions asked.

He also need to be at least close to somewhere he can have stuff delivered.. It would be suspicious if Faey ships were landing on a deserted island to deliver things to him.

Phantom  
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I don't know if many other areas would have telepathy, remember it is genetic. What if human telepathy came from faey? I have a feeling they can bread with humans if it hasn't already been said in the book and who knows when the first faey came to earth? *shrug* just a thought.
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

Gah, I can't decide if this is spoilerish or not, but the story leads me to think of the why and the who that can influence the what because of the why.  Hehe...
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

This is an interesting point.

My guess is Fel is just writing about what he knows best. hence the USA. He wouldn't be as sure of his facts anywhere else and it would necessitate more research otherwise...? I seem to remember Jason mentioning about other place on earth.
The place that interest me is the African continent. I am very curious at how the subjugation would work there and what the Fey would do. Anyway it probably won't intervenes, since few non-africans know africa very well.
and I guess it's all farming over there now.
The old world seems interesting too. the fact that english has become de facto language of earth must have irritated a lot of people over there (hint hint)  ;)
but since they seem to respect art, and litterature, it should also be a great center of activity.
Otherwise I agree with the previous post about other places like tulane. seems to me that japanese in particular are gifted with technical stuff.  I do not think it's particularly uscentrist. the fic must happen somewhere afterall, and it might as well  be someplace we have all heard off. Now the thing tha irritates me is that attitude of Jason. he strikes me as the holier than thou type. I want to see some serious VICES!  :'(
and the moon. let's not forget the old ball. I expect to see some serious bases over there. heck Jason could go there with his new imrpoved plane, and build himsel that hideout.
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
- Ge 3:24
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

edengrave wrote:This is an interesting point.
====== Cut ======
and the moon. let's not forget the old ball. I expect to see some serious bases over there. heck Jason could go there with his new imrpoved plane, and build himsel that hideout.
yes the Moon has been overlooked ... one problem with jason going there is he has to leave the gravitywell of earth to do it.  that exposes him to the one flaw in his sheilding.. Faey sensors can track his Ships Magnetic wake making it so they can track him even if they can't see him.

Plus he would need a lot of extra infrastructure to survive on the Moon.
Air, heating & cooling systems some sort of air tight enclosure. in addition to his antisensor systems  
not saying it can't be done but it's not as easy as on earth.

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

He can live in his ship, landed on the moon.  The moon's gravity will hide him.  Perhaps he can sorta run really fast to the moon and the faint gravity field of the earth and moon will overlap enough over his whole trip to not get detected?

No, the moon is too far away from his target to make a good base, what he needs is to get up into the face of them faey places, so he can follow ships out and hijack them when they are in a sensor deprived area.

I really wonder how his cloaked ship will do through a jump gate.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

forbidder wrote:He can live in his ship, landed on the moon. The moon's gravity will hide him. Perhaps he can sorta run really fast to the moon and the faint gravity field of the earth and moon will overlap enough over his whole trip to not get detected?

No, the moon is too far away from his target to make a good base, what he needs is to get up into the face of them faey places, so he can follow ships out and hijack them when they are in a sensor deprived area.

I really wonder how his cloaked ship will do through a jump gate.
The airskimmer Jason bought is only an eight-seat model while I'm sure that it's fairly roomy inside it's not a motorhome that's why they offer a habitat module with it. I'm pretty sure it's (The Habitat Module) is not rated for nonatmosphere use.

As for the rest I also think he needs to be on earth just because of logistics if nothing else.
Plus the only way right now that he can fly to the moon in the airskimmer reasonably undetected is to be following another vessel using their magnetic signature for cover

Same for using the gate as long as he's piggybacking another ship it could hide his magnetic signature from detection. the only other thing that could give him away is if he fly's his airskimmer in between two ships or the spacestation and a ship.
There by appearing as a black shape silhouetted against the other ship

Boy would the stuff hit the fan then ....But i tell you it was there ...right there .... Yea right have you been drinking on duty Again!?

Phantom
Last edited by Phantom on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
jnormg
Novice

Post by jnormg »

Speaking of stuff hitting the fan--remember Jason admitted on an open frequency that he was within telepathy range of a cargo ship that was about to jump into hyperspace. The marine dispatcher even took notes on the ship name. No one has questioned how he could have been where he had to have been and why he was not detected. The Faey have to know he has cloaking abitily and probably that he has talent to  have detected the presence of human slaves, but it got hushed up pretty good, didn't it?

Norm Gober
Last edited by jnormg on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.