anime

negativecow
Initiate

anime

Post by negativecow »

Just finished watching chobits, which was a cool series. Dose anybody have a suggestion for a good anime series to watch
pets: just in case we run out of food
kridengaged
Talent

Re: anime

Post by kridengaged »

depends...

ah my goddess
naruto
goldenboy
utena
dirty pair
cowboy bebop
gundam (pick a series)

check out:
http://the.animearchive.org/index2.html

This site has a good listing of several anime movies and O.V.A. and it has a good description page on alot of them.

[glow=red,2,300]What type of anime are you into?[/glow] That would help with suggestions.
If you look into the Abyss too long...
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

I'd recommend http://animeondvd.com if you're looking for something to rent/buy.  Their reviews are usually helpful, although I disagree with them on some series.

Stuff I personally would recommend:

Wolf's Rain
Fullmetal Alchemist (on Cartoon Network, if you have that)
Twelve Kingdoms
s-CRY-ed

There are plenty more, but like kridengaged said, it would help to know what your preferences are.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Thermopyle
Novice

Post by Thermopyle »

wildcat wrote:I'd recommend http://animeondvd.com if you're looking for something to rent/buy.  Their reviews are usually helpful, although I disagree with them on some series.

Stuff I personally would recommend:

Fullmetal Alchemist (on Cartoon Network, if you have that)
Have you seen the whole series?  I thought the ending was really bad.  Bad enough that I didn't even bother burning the last ten or so episodes.  It just kind of fell apart in the end, especially when the explanation for why alchemy works came up.  Wow, that was shitty.  >_<

Hm.  For series that are being put out (translated) right now...I'd reccommend Kyou Kara Maou and Tsukuyomi.  Kyou Kara Maou is a very fun light fantasy that makes fun of yaoi in an amusing, watchable way.  Tsukuyomi is about a little girl vampire, and the series is nicely dark, but not depressing.  Tenshi na Konamaiki is a lot of fun, too; it's a great gender-bender comedy, one far better than the unexplainably popular Ranma 1/2.  TnK is 52 episodes long, and it's been subbed to 46, so it will be over with pretty soon.
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

Yes, I have seen the end, and I didn't think it was that bad.  If you stopped at 37, it does get better.  I don't think it's perfect, but I don't think series like Wolf's Rain are perfect either and I still recommend them (the four episodes of recap were awful, and the ending felt way too rushed).  

I'm currently getting Bleach; it was a bit hard to get into because I thought it would be boring, but it's funnier than I expected. A boy runs into a death god and takes up her powers. No episode count for that yet, but the subbers have gotten to 19.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Thermopyle
Novice

Post by Thermopyle »

wildcat wrote:Yes, I have seen the end, and I didn't think it was that bad.  If you stopped at 37, it does get better.  

I'm currently getting Bleach; it was a bit hard to get into because I thought it would be boring, but it's funnier than I expected.
Uh, I watched to the end, I just didn't BURN to the end of FMA.  ^_^;

As for Bleach...seriously, read the manga.  It's so much better.  They can't be compared.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

I feel the need to recommend some titles myself.

Hunter X Hunter
Hellsing
Ghost in the Shell
Trigun
Last Exile

Among others. I have a nice serving available via IRC, if you care to get them that way. The first 3 titles are highly recommended, the last two are pretty good. All are very nice. Though HxH is pretty slow, and takes a lot of space. But the story more then makes up for it.

I also recommend some manga to go with those Animes. In particular, you absolutely must/i] read Ghost in the Shell 2 - Man-Machine Interface. Read that one, and you'll probably take more then one disgruntled look at 'plain' regular manga.
The HxH mangas are also very good. You should read them at the same time as you watch the anime, though you should also be careful not to go too far ahead. They reveal a lot of information not in the hxh anime

(And Im not entirely sure if this is completely readable. I'm too tired to care. Thank the Gods for spellcheckers, or it'd be even worse.)
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Calimbor
Novice

Post by Calimbor »

Haven't seen that many mangas or animes...I'm not really sure what the difference is, so bare with me.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Vampire hunter D

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Well I like the story(Very twisted), the char.(s), the angst and the oh so huge mechas.
It's mainly about a 14 year old, shy japanese boy, who's been chosen to pilot mankinds only hope; The Evangelions. ( giant mechas )
It's mostly angsty and dramatic, but it has a few light hearted scenes.

Vampire hunter D - Haven't seen the first movie, but I liked the second.  With out going into to much detail its about a Dhampire (half-vampire half-human) that takes on the evil blod sucking tyrants ; action ensures.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

weresmilodon wrote:I feel the need to recommend some titles myself.

Hunter X Hunter
Hellsing
Ghost in the Shell
Trigun
Last Exile
Some coment on that.

I took upon Weresmilodon offer, and downloaded some episodes; some watched on anime nights on unremembered channel long time ago. "Hunter X Hunter" is, as far as I have seen it, because it is truly slow and takes a lot of space, boy growing up thru adventure type of manga. There is probably proper name for that ;). "Hellsing" is dark, strangely twisted vampire story, but it annoyed hell outta me (highly antipapic, quite un-canon-esque; and it is Van Helsing, with one L, damn it!). I have found "Kurau: Phantom Memory" quite nice: slow, nice girl-girl friendship SF story.

"Ghost in the Shell" (the movie) is something one must see - it defines I think cyberpunk anime. I also highly recommend "Spirited Away" - light, teen-fighting-for-her-parents story. Both have some very nice ideas, and are incredibly well drawn.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
hell_renegade
Talent

Post by hell_renegade »

a site for some manga of the above mentioned anime ...
http://stoptazmo.com
I also recommend Kenshin.
hope it helps.