Off Topic. Creating a Website.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Off Topic. Creating a Website.

Post by Fawks »

I have a website that I originally used M$ Front Page XP to create. I was fairly user friendly but not too standardized. It also has the problem of being an Office x86 bit product and I now use M$ Office x64. Sometimes there are problems with using the two versions of office products on the same system. I have tried using Adobe CS4 and it is not as user friendly.

Does anyone have suggestions for a web editor that is as user friendly as Front Page was? I wish I could grasp the concepts of java and flash, but alas, I have a DOS degree in the age of OOP.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
Bigwind
Initiate

Re: Off Topic. Creating a Website.

Post by Bigwind »

I used M$ Front Page 2003 and it installed no trouble when I had to upgrade to W7 64bit. I just installed it and, hey presto, it works fine. You could always go completely mad and get Dreamweaver!
I'm not completely mad, there are bits missing!
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

I have Dreamweaver CS4 and I cant really make it do what I want. Front page is more user friendly on formatting text (line spacing, justification...) Maybe it was just me but I could never really get it to do what I wanted format wise.

Also, when I'm trying to convert a Fel story, Dreamweaver cannot handle the full story in a single file. I use a single HTML file when trying to convert files to PDF, ePub and other formats.
Attachments
Dreamweaver cant handle large paste.jpg
www.weavespinner.net

TLGG
Katzh-dashi

Post by TLGG »

I've been toying with wordpress(.org, the webplatform, not the .com blogging... thingy), and it's very user friendly. I'm stuck in a couple of places, but it's nothing earth shattering. It's my fault for not spending a bit of time in the forums to see if I can make the site bend the way I want it, I haven't done any web-related work in a long time, but it's free, it has a lot of support, and I'm quite impressed with it.
flash
Novice

Post by flash »

I believe that you'd be alright with a number of existing cms scripts and while the previously mentioned Wordpress is less a content management system, but rather a blogging script/platform with an extended functionality, it might also suit your needs. In the example of Wordpress, creating your own web-page is as easy as downloading a skin you like and then generating content directly in your browser with the limited WYSIWYG-editor.

The fact of the matter is though, that all these ready-made solutions are possibly a bit over the top for a static website such as yours. It might be just as easy and fast to keep using an MS Frontpage alternative to create and/or maintain a website. Since the advent of easy to use WYSIWYG-editors has come and gone, there aren't all that many alternatives anymore. In any case, I'd suggest you download and install the SeaMonkey browser suite, which comes with a tool called the Composer. While I've never used it extensively, it has always reminded me of the good old Frontpage which I had used in the last century.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

I'm a Dreamweaver CS5.5 user and I gotta say I love it. I learned web design on DW, so I don't know Frontpage, but there are ways to deal with your issues in DW. One fix is listed at
http://www.jdhodges.com/2009/09/dreamwe ... copy-past/
Another less invasive method would be to use Notepad to assemble the text into an HTML document and then open the existing HTML in DW for editing and styling, etc.

-DM
Bigwind
Initiate

Post by Bigwind »

Of course, if you are trying to convert .doc files then you could always use MS word and save as Web Page (filtered). That gets rid of a lot of the rubbish usually included by MS and then can be used by programs like Calibre to convert to epub or kindle formats. You can also directly convert to pdf from there. I hope this is helping rather than confusing!
I'm not completely mad, there are bits missing!
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

I have been reading up some on the filtered save in M$ Word. That is probably how I'm going to edit and save files. I tried the Seamonkey and Dreamweaver fixes mentioned and they both are not real good for editing large files. I have been using Calibre for a couple of years to convert files. It is a very useful program.

I'm still looking for a useful and simple, modern website application.

Thanks for your help. It has given me some things to think about.
www.weavespinner.net

gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

try bluefish :
http://bfwiki.tellefsen.net/index.php/I ... g_Bluefish
or :
http://kompozer.net/

and there is WYSIWYG Web Builder (but its a lot more wasteful in the sites that it creates when uploading directly from it. at last in the last version it used it was) :
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/