ePub of Kit (up to 42)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
zeekgenateer
Novice

ePub of Kit (up to 42)

Post by zeekgenateer »

I was bored and didn't feel like studying for finals week so I've made an ePub formatted ebook for Kit. They're extremely easy to make and edit (even with just a text editor), though going through xhtml files can be very tedious. All I've really done is add the entire book and not much in the way of formatting or error checking (lot of hastily written regex to get rid of some openoffice formatting issues), but it is better than a pdf or a doc and you can read them in Firefox (with an addon), or an ebook reader. Enjoy.
Kit.zip
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 602 times
ilox
Sorcerer

Re: ePub of Kit (up to 42)

Post by ilox »

Thanks for that. When I am formatting HTML into epub I use a really nice editor, Sigil. I have used Calibre but didn't like it as much as I like using Sigil. It is readily downloadable and easy to understand. http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
"Now what does it have to offer...
* Free and open source software under GPLv3
* Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Linux and Mac
* Full Unicode support: everything you see in Sigil is in UTF-16
* Full EPUB spec support
* WYSIWYG editing
* Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Split View
* Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
* Table Of Contents editor
* Multi-level TOC support
* Book View fully supports the display of any XHTML document possible under the OPS spec
* SVG support
* Basic XPGT support
* Advanced automatic conversion of all imported documents to Unicode
* Currently imports TXT, HTML and EPUB files; more will be added with time
* Embedded HTML Tidy; all imported documents are thoroughly cleaned; changing views cleans the document so no matter how much you screw up your code, it will fix it (usually)
* An actually usable user interface
* Native C++ application
* Bugs :)
* And a lot more... "

For reading my epubs I prefer FBReader, freely available from http://fbreader.org or else Linux users can find it in most recent repositories.
"FBReader is an e-book reader for various platforms. Currently FBReader works on
* Linux desktop.
* Windows XP/Vista computer.
* FreeBSD computer.
* Various linux-based mobile devices: "
I run it on both my Linux-powered EEE Netbook and my Windows 7 powered desktop.

Again, thanks for putting this into a format that i can use on my netbook, you have saved me the bother of doing it ;)
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
Some day I intend reading it." ~ unknown
zeekgenateer
Novice

Post by zeekgenateer »

I'll have to look into that. OpenOffice xhtml conversion into regex and html touch up wasn't too fun. Though I haven't found a fault yet with the Firefox ePub addon. It helps me not alt tab as much since I've been using Pandora so much (4 days and I have only 20 hours left... I need a subscription).
fortress
Sorcerer

Post by fortress »

When I make ebook reader versions I just dump all the .doc files into a folder then use the free Word HTML Converter http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=1009209 to batch convert them to html. Then you can use the "Add existing items" option with Sigil to import each of those files as a new item in your epub. A quick edit to make the Chapter headings show up in the TOC and then you can use Calibre to convert to .mobi for Kindle versions.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

I've been a paid subscriber of Pandora for 2 years now and I love it! Just losing the ads is worth the price, then to get the streaming limit lifted? I've paid far more for much less!
-DM
ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

OK, this is just a 2 chapter sample file. I created it by bringing up Chapters 14 and 15 in Libre Office. Highlighting everything (Control-A). Opening Sigil to a new file. Double-clicking on the first offered file - section01.xhtml - then pasting in the clipped contents (Control-V). I then created a new page, did the cut and paste for Chapter 15.

I changed/renamed the two pages to Chapter 14.xhtml and Chapter 15.xhtml.

I created the Metadata through the metadata menu and saved it all as the attached epub file. Probably took me 5 minutes at the most. Please let me know if it is all OK and readable.

Oh, just had to go in and change the Chapter headings to H1 so Sigil could pick them up and add them into the Table of Contents.

To the Forum Managers: Any chance of enabling the uploading of an epub file without having to disguise it as a zip?
sample_kit_14_15.epub.zip
This is simply a 2 chapter sample of editing and creation through the Sigil editor. Change the extension by dropping off the .zip. Seems we cant upload an epub file here.
(77.68 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
Some day I intend reading it." ~ unknown