Tribulation (spoiler) chap one

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Re: Tribulation (spoiler) chap one

Post by dellstart »

SYED wrote:They want the consortium to gain territory, this means they have to defend it as jason can easily strike theses area, force them to invest in defending themselves so much that forces are spread thin and easily defeated.

Can you be aware in stasis, as if you are wired or in communion with a ship, you could safely do long distance jumps with out being ambussed and bewing able to react.

Mass produce the mines and sell them to the small empires and potential allies. make the skaa and alliance the best bet to attack. their fleets will crash, and alot of systems would need to be guarded

probably not. that their weak point.
which our pirates will make sure to exploit.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Faey are masters of spatial tech, that is how they made the gates.

So can a ship fold space by it self, not hyper but a space folding engine.
.S.A.M.K.M
Yug1987
Talent

Post by Yug1987 »

Just a Thought.

If possible, the Karrines could build interdictors into their fleet of ships. If they could use the shell or the shield of the ships as the outer casing of the interdictor, that would have the waves that emanate from the ship cancel out those from the planetary interdictors. This could then allow these ships to operate the hyperdrives inside of the planetary defenses. Of course, the effective range of the ships interdictors would have to be greatly shortened compared to the planetary models. otherwise it may cause a disturbance in the existing pulses from the planet's model of interdictor. Basically, the idea is to utilize the interdictor as a jammer by having one cancel out the other.

Also, looking at Wolfee's point on missiles with Hyper capability, this could be a fix as well. By shortening the range of the interdictor to slightly outside of most of the ship's offensive and defensive weapons, you prevent the missiles from being as effective as the could be. The missiles would be forced out of hyper at the interdictors limit and be dealt with like any other space missiles. A possibility is that the Karrines could still use such missiles by timing the pulses of the ship's interdictor. Not sure if they can, but maybe. This would also prevent enemy ships to jump within a ships defenses when outside of "interdicted" space.

Finally, if the idea worked, the Karrines would once again gain the advantage in hyper travel. Before, it was everyone else would have the long delay, while the Karrines moved in real time. Now that the consortium tech was being distributed to everyone else, the Karrines are losing that advantage. Now, it would allow the Karrines to continue to still use their hyper drives, while everyone else would either forgo hyper travel, or be forced to use the stargates while in interdicted space. The kicker is that the Karrines would then be able to attack the Consorium with even greater impunity.

Just a Thought
Rich
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

consortium only gave out weapons and armour, and some plasma tech. to jump better they need access to computers and better engines. The consortium only has hyper tech for jumping real time and probes, they never shown anything else.

Alter the indictor so instead of omni dirrection al it, it could push the ship along.
.S.A.M.K.M
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Okay time for a numbers review....

First discrepency: 30,000 (the original fleet size) minus 17, 985 (the ships they have left is) 12,015... 12,015 divided by the original 30k ships is 0.4005 Or 40% casualties, rather than 34%.

"He added it up. All said and done, the Consortium now only had 17, 985 ships out of their original 30,000 plus that they had sent. Nearly 34% casualties…almost what they had projected. The majority of the destroyed ships were destroyers and cruisers, but wave 5 had managed to destroy one of the command ships, destroyed in the antimatter explosion, and wave 3 had managed to deal a great deal of damage to both of them"

"But still, 34% casualties. That was over 10,000 ships that the Consortium could not throw at Karis, and that was what mattered." Shouldn't this be 40% and over 12,000 ships?

“We destroyed or crippled eleven thousand, two hundred and sixteen ships in the attack." Yet a different number of destroyed ships, closer to the 12k the original numbers suggest but higher than Jason's report to the Denmother. 11216 divided by 30k = 0.37386666 or 37.86%

Not trying to nitpick Fel, I'm hardly a mathimatical genius of any sort but the numbers bugged me till i grabbed a calculater. I'm just wondering what the "real" numbers are. Like I said not trying to be picky - just wondering. Looking forward to the next chapter!
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Good point, Wolfee.

Although, if you check in Unification, the actual number was 29,895. Pretty close, but not 30,000. So they destroyed 11,970 ships, not the 11,216 that Jason stated. I will leave it to everyone else to work out the differences in the percentages.

Fel, and any other author reading this (including me), when you're using hard numbers, it is a good idea to double check your math. Your readers will notice discrepancies. Depend on it. It's also a good idea to make notes when you use numbers, and have those notes available when you write, so you can refer to them.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

What if the consortium made a deal with the alliance, work for us and get to run this galaxcy for us. Then using what resources available attack the skaa, they have this fierce rivalry, and they are the largets target and threat. The consrtium has the numbers and tech, while skaa has depended on numbers, the weapons and engunes would be too great an advantage, while jason could give them info little els he could do except steal minor systems. the imperium instead of destroying the alliance will attack, to force the consortium to dedicate more and more resources, spreading their forces and ships. First, while ensuring no one sees or tryies to talk steal the useless or empty systems that are located in or close to target systems. indict and gate. set up a fleet of ships dedicated to raiding or destroying assets and targets in enemy space, but nothing linked to the consortium, target civilian trade and inferstructure. this fleet would return to imperium via earth, and to ensure no seige fill the area with mines and wseaponry and long distance weaponry to deter enemies. While concentrating on this threat kimddori and legion forces would infiltrate into the enemy.

Set up indicted gated in system to allow for gquick jumps to the stations. due to distance the consortium may have their assets closer to the stations. also if the consortium cpoies mines and defense satelites, karrine need an awesome point defence system. When the skaa get smashed the little guys will be desperate for help, so easy to convince them to join. rail guns, with solid or moltern prpjectiles good point defence, also as a way to deal with energy weapons, a shield that makes a smaall distance seem large so energy weapond are dipersed by the distance.
.S.A.M.K.M
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

What will the allies do in response to this attack on the academy. They could attack the alliance, seize the closest world for them selves, jump in and indict, deal with fleet assets, set up gate, then deal with planet. Sure are ships there, but less due to indictors as no one knows you can jump out. Ships were likly moved to the skaa boarder, and jason could just use a lot of weapon satelites and fighters.
And jump to the alliance boarder planets with the skaa, targeting fleet assets with the satelites. It would force them to redeploy, possiply weakrning jucy targets.
What the imperium really want is the consortium to attack the alliance, so leak the fact that jakkan sensors were what allowed them to ambush the fleet. the consortium has just got owned, so they will want pay back, smashing the fleet of some one responsible, say 60 ships. this option should be done secretly whil the imperium carries out another to show their rage.

When the imperium is collecting world from the empires, offer some as incentives to get others to join.
.S.A.M.K.M
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

nicolai wrote:Good point, Wolfee. Although, if you check in Unification, the actual number was 29,895. Pretty close, but not 30,000. So they destroyed 11,970 ships, not the 11,216 that Jason stated. I will leave it to everyone else to work out the differences in the percentages.
Yes, but remember they brought shipyards with them. It's been a couple of months (I think) since Unifacation, which means they could easily have a few hundred more ships by now.
SYED wrote:What will the allies do in response to this attack on the academy.
Speaking of which, was anyone else at all concerned that in the midst of all the political backstabbing made in light of that threat - not a single word was made about extra protection for the Academy, or Earth in General? Given how throughly the origonal was destroyed, I'm just saying...
I is an certified nut
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

ANTIcarrot wrote:
SYED wrote:What will the allies do in response to this attack on the academy.
Speaking of which, was anyone else at all concerned that in the midst of all the political backstabbing made in light of that threat - not a single word was made about extra protection for the Academy, or Earth in General? Given how throughly the origonal was destroyed, I'm just saying...
The Karrines, new and old, have a habit of doing a great many things in secret. My point being that between them and the Kimdori I imagine that the full extent of the defenses in place is unknown and more extensive than could be anticipated for such a well known target. Also, would Jason feel the need to instruct Kiaari to implement the procedures that she, herself, has put in place?
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

expedient wrote:Also, would Jason feel the need to instruct Kiaari to implement the procedures that she, herself, has put in place?
True, but if everyone assumes everyone else is competence and is doing thier job properly - then a *lot* of conversations in this chapter become a little redundent. :wink:
I is an certified nut
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Just a quick thought. What will happen to the first CBIM to experience hyperspace? We know that the living minds have varying degrees of tolerance to the effect of the higher dimensions, will they also be affected?

(I wouldn't want the ship's computer to be suffering from ~space madness~ [always reminds me of a Ren & Stimpy episode]. Would the ships with CBIM's inside have a main computer and then have the living computers as a separate crew component in order to provide redundancy anyway?)
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Counting the days as each goes by ..... to the next installation of the series. Getting more excited as each day goes by as it will be nearer to the next chapter. Never fear, no trepidation, only elation.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
dragn982
Talent

Post by dragn982 »

Wolfee wrote:Okay time for a numbers review....

Not trying to nitpick Fel, I'm hardly a mathimatical genius of any sort but the numbers bugged me till i grabbed a calculater. I'm just wondering what the "real" numbers are. Like I said not trying to be picky - just wondering. Looking forward to the next chapter!
It says in the chapter that there are "five major forces, each force consisting of 6,000 ships" and goes on to say that the first wave consists of 5,183 ships. So, obviously, all of the previous numbers were estimates, probably rounded up. After the battle scene where Jason is tallying the numbers he mentions that the fleet consisted of more than 30,000 ships:
All said and done, the Consortium now only had 17, 985 ships out of their original 30,000 plus that they had sent. Nearly 34% casualties…
M'kay? Fel didn't mess up, the numbers just shifted...or it might be better to say that most of them were just estimates...

Great chapter by the way, looking forward to the next one.
hoppy
Sorcerer

Post by hoppy »

point 1
The consortium probably no longer thinks like a corporation if it ever did. Fel said trade guild. Guilds are about controlling an area of endeavor. While corporations are more about making money for stockholders.
point 2
Having only the insectoid race fight and preventing civilian casualties serves many not so admirable objectives such as preventing the subject races from having the ability, mindset and motivation to rebel. It also helps them control technological advancement that might upset their social order. This of-course assumes that the insectoids are a rather ridged unimaginative race.