Subjugation technical ideas (possible spoilers)

MechCraft
Initiate

Subjugation technical ideas (possible spoilers)

Post by MechCraft »

i have a couple of Ideas for subjugation.

for starters jason could cloak his skimmer using the 'space bubble' that the PPG's use for plasma containment.
as i see how a PPG works is a 'sun or load of plasma' is contained within the bubble with a couple of holes for plasma flow in and out.
if you put a hole for for purpulsion and one for communications/navigation then all the faey sensers would see would be a PPG container roughly the size of a skimmer. if you put in the doors then the sensers would not pick up much. and would probably look like debree with confusing senser readings and easily be dismissed.

the second idea would be to install holographic immeters for projecting one view of a image to the other like jason did in the classroom but have it updated in real time instead of a static picture.

that is what i believe could happen with in the bound of the storieline and technology that is already been used.
Last edited by MechCraft on Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Re: Subjugation technical ideas (possible spoilers)

Post by Greymist »

With both those ideas you're still going to have the large gravametric footprint of a skimmer, one that's not identifying itself, rather obvious I'd say.
Belgarion

Post by Belgarion »

THe second Idea Jason already thought of. The idea worked in the class room because it was a one way projection. There was nothing behind the projection that had to see light comming one way.

If Jason were to say do this trick on his skimmer his computer would have to detect all forms of light, radiation, sensor scans and project them back EXACTLY on the other side using the correct angles. The amount of computer power it would take would be mind boggling. If he was sitting still it would be huge. For him to move around.

The First idea has a problems in that it is detectable. The Idea of a cloaking device is to make the ship invisable. Even if he were to fly around in the folded space, The fey are going to wonder why a PPG is flying around on non linear lines. Remember Jason will want to places that are not in straight lines. If he were to fly in one direction then decide to go to the left of something, the Sensor people are going to notice.
HarryS
Novice

Post by HarryS »

I see two other solutions to this problem based on what is told in the previous chapters:

- the fay military might have developed a cloaking device and there is one built into Jasons exomech (but Symone should know about that because she identified the model)

- , maybe a transmitter code exists that makes the sensor system mask an object (or show it as a classified object one *should* not ask questions about)
[something like the way kumi uses her influence to make the sensor system crew look the other way when she visits jason]
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

To admins: Should not this thread be moved to appropriate FAQ sections, as it contains descriptions which may be considered spoilers?
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MechCraft
Initiate

Post by MechCraft »

greymist wrote:With both those ideas you're still going to have the large gravametric footprint of a skimmer, one that's not identifying itself, rather obvious I'd say.
the gravemetric footprint would be as big as the bubble but not the size of the skimmer. The bubble would still be big, but because of the way the PPG bubble has a bigger internal space than physical external dimentions it would not have the footprint of a  skimmer (think F117A stealth fighter, footprint is tiny compaired to actual size)

i think the sensors pick up the energy signiture from the fusion reaction within the bubble and not the bubble itself. then the PPG thats in the skimmer would be a bubble within a bubble. and not be detectible because of the shielding that a bubble has agenst forms of radiation/energy.

if i put this topic in the wrong place i appoligise
When the world bows before you, dont forget to wipe your feet.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

mechcraft wrote:If I put this topic in the wrong place i apologise
No, you haven't put this thread in wrong place. The discussion is fairly general, and it is not about questions about "Subjugation". But during discussion some posts contain text which can be considered spoiler. Therefore my idea for moving this thread to FAQ section. But maybe adding "(spoilers)" to thread title would suffice...
Z.C.
Talent

Post by Z.C. »

On a different note, there are two parts to Jason's dilemma:
1) Evade the Technology (Cloaks and Shields)
2) Evade or protect from telepaths

In (nearly all) other series concerning telepathy, there has been a technological way of protecting from telepathic influences, usually based on the idea that telepathy uses some part of the EM band to make the connection. Methods used include:
- Foil skullcaps (fairly ridiculous)
- White Noise generators on the appropriate frequencies (used in the Foundation series)
- Physical or Energy sheilding that blocks the appropriate frequencies (the Lensman series for energy and the Tower And The Hive series for physical, among many others)

With the third option, you also have the choice of how large an area to protect. You could have a large shield to cover a settlement, ship, room or you could have a small shield to cover individuals (useful to recruit non-telepaths into the resistance)

For these shielding ideas, it is obvious that they have not been found by the other races known to the Faey, as Jyslin or one of the others commented about constantly being followed by telepaths on visits elsewhere. Thus, if created or discovered by Jason, he may be interested in passing this techs to other worlds as well.

ZC
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

z.c. wrote:On a different note, there are two parts to Jason's dilemma:
[...]
2) Evade or protect from telepaths
There is also method used in "Mutants" by Henry Kuttner, where there is wired, active scullcap (e.g. under wig), which somewhat encodes telepathy (generates some kind of EM noise). Some kind of secure channel in telepathy channels. Drawback: users cannot use ordinary telepathy, can communicate only with others with those caps. See book for details.