Lost & Found

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Re: Lost & Found

Post by gnume »

his Author page in "Beyond the Far Horizon" site:
http://www.beyondthefarhorizon.com/phpB ... php?a=5258

his yahoo group (all stories) :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohhellnostories/

you need to register to see the stories on both sites
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

Tom wasn't very happy with SOL for some reason or other and moved all his stories off. Not sure if he posted them anywhere else but here's a link to his Yahoo group, the stories are there and he does update them from time to time though he's been having medical and financial problems lately and hasn't been able to post as much as usual.

edit: beat me to it heh
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

I posted two hours before you

how did you not notice ?
ralbloke
Sorcerer

Post by ralbloke »

gnume wrote:his Author page in "Beyond the Far Horizon" site:
http://www.beyondthefarhorizon.com/phpB ... php?a=5258

his yahoo group (all stories) :

you need to register to see the stories on both sites
Thanks guys, I am now up to date.
Ralbloke
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Post by furry_wolf2001b »

It is soo fking annoying to register freaking everywhere.
I hate it with -real- passion.
Miss spelling sweed in tha house! ;)
hoppy
Sorcerer

Post by hoppy »

yeah, haven't got my response from there either
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

I'm looking for a book/series (I know of at least 2 books in the setting). I don't recall the title or author but the basics are as follows. It's the future and we've developed the ability to download human memories into a disc and load it into an implanted slot in the back of the neck (I think). Thus granting effective immortality providing one had the money and assuming no one destroyed the disc. When someone dies they just take the disc and put it in a new body (possibly using clones...not sure on that one).

Anyway the plot for the first book is some rich guy hires this guy as a private eye (I think he used to be military, but I can't remember for sure) to find out who is trying to kill him. He was found shot in the head and the police assumed it was an attempted suicide. The rich guy doesn't buy it because he has a fancy implant that uploads his memories to an off-site storage once a day so it would be useless to kill himself with a gun to the head. He suspects foul play and hires the main character to find out what's up.

The second book has the same main character (I think) but this time he's in the military or a mercenary. They clone a body with high resistance to radiation for him and his team to explore an alien spaceship (I think... gee I say that a lot don't I ....)

Hope this is ringing some bells for someone cause I can't remember for the life of me what the name of it was. There might have been other books and I may have gotten the order wrong.
borsic
Sorcerer

Post by borsic »

That is the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies, by Richard K Morgan. Awesome, gritty SF!
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

borsic wrote:That is the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies, by Richard K Morgan. Awesome, gritty SF!
Yep that's them. And one I haven't read yet too, even better :) I always wondered if there were more books for it. Thanks
falcon8561
Talent

Post by falcon8561 »

Wicketklown001 wrote:I'm looking for a book/series (I know of at least 2 books in the setting). I don't recall the title or author but the basics are as follows. It's the future and we've developed the ability to download human memories into a disc and load it into an implanted slot in the back of the neck (I think). Thus granting effective immortality providing one had the money and assuming no one destroyed the disc. When someone dies they just take the disc and put it in a new body (possibly using clones...not sure on that one).

Anyway the plot for the first book is some rich guy hires this guy as a private eye (I think he used to be military, but I can't remember for sure) to find out who is trying to kill him. He was found shot in the head and the police assumed it was an attempted suicide. The rich guy doesn't buy it because he has a fancy implant that uploads his memories to an off-site storage once a day so it would be useless to kill himself with a gun to the head. He suspects foul play and hires the main character to find out what's up.

The second book has the same main character (I think) but this time he's in the military or a mercenary. They clone a body with high resistance to radiation for him and his team to explore an alien spaceship (I think... gee I say that a lot don't I ....)

Hope this is ringing some bells for someone cause I can't remember for the life of me what the name of it was. There might have been other books and I may have gotten the order wrong.

if your interested in this sorta thing then get on veoh.com and watch "Kaiba" or go to http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4245 ... kaiba.html for more info.
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Obscure e-books

Post by Edengrave »

I am an avid e-book reader.. quite a lot of them are poorly edited. but I have grown bored with mainstream books, and often find that those otherwise poorly edited books, are strong in fresh ideas. and sometimes they are also well written to boot. :) a lot of them are obscure from little-known epublishers, and completely unknown authors so when I happen to lose them, it's hellish trying to remember where I got them in the first place.

I am looking for 2 ebooks.

The first is Fantasy. It's about a young atlantean that survives the destruction of atlantis. after being first a thief, his potential is noticed by an old assasin, and he trains him to become an extraordinary assassin. there's magic, gods, and a special armor involved somewhere. I think he receives gift of powers too from a god. who asks him to choose 3 gifts. that's about all I remember. I have looked everywhere, simply can't find it.

The second e-book is a sci-fi trilogy: it's about an ancient alien race that have evolved nanites to the point they live in symbiosis with a colony of nanites in their body, with it's own separate intelligence. the nanites give them many powers, like shapeshifting, cellular manipulation, and enhanced mentality. This race is invaded, and one member of the race escape, looking for allies, goes to earth, and find a man. he fuses him with a nanite colony symbiot, with most of the scientific knowledge of his race, after warning him of the coming of the invaders to earth. That men. with his new powers and knowledge, set out to bring earth up to par technologicaly, and in secret, starting on the moon. he soon builds a base there, then spaceships. he recruits his own familly, then other people from earth that need a second chance, etc... I think I first bought this trilogy from 1stbookspublishing, now AUTHORHOUSE. couldn't find it in their poorly designed and hard to navigate catalog. they also bought Iuniverse, so I looked there, and couldn't find it either. Back in those days where email inboxes didn't have 5 gig+ of space, you deleted old emails. so I can't even go back to my inbox archive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
- Ge 3:24
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

I was re-reading joe-j's Twice Lucky and remembered another story that may be in the same universe, or not - it just triggered the flash.

An advanced being is sentenced to provide a dying wish for everyone on Earth until certain conditions are met. One man lives life three or four times. Last one being a math professor?? His equations let him build a space ship and go to Alpha Centauri where he finds that Earth humans were limited to 5% brain power, two other planets of humans 25% and 50%, but they have been destroyed. The humans at Centauri are 100% but lack creativity. He ends up being ruler of the council that set up everything to start with.

Anyone remember this?
cdhaag
Novice

Post by cdhaag »

That would be the FTL series by Timm. Here is the link.

http://storiesonline.net/auth/Timm
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

Thank you. I gotta start writtin' this stuff down.
Never_Fear
Novice

Post by Never_Fear »

Edengrave wrote:
The second e-book is a sci-fi trilogy: it's about an ancient alien race that have evolved nanites to the point they live in symbiosis with a colony of nanites in their body, with it's own separate intelligence. the nanites give them many powers, like shapeshifting, cellular manipulation, and enhanced mentality. This race is invaded, and one member of the race escape, looking for allies, goes to earth, and find a man. he fuses him with a nanite colony symbiot, with most of the scientific knowledge of his race, after warning him of the coming of the invaders to earth. That men. with his new powers and knowledge, set out to bring earth up to par technologicaly, and in secret, starting on the moon. he soon builds a base there, then spaceships. he recruits his own familly, then other people from earth that need a second chance, etc... I think I first bought this trilogy from 1stbookspublishing, now AUTHORHOUSE. couldn't find it in their poorly designed and hard to navigate catalog. they also bought Iuniverse, so I looked there, and couldn't find it either. Back in those days where email inboxes didn't have 5 gig+ of space, you deleted old emails. so I can't even go back to my inbox archive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It might be

Cyberneural Symbiote by Rick a Mullins