Smartasses, read this...

Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Smartasses, read this...

Post by Mizriath »

Hmmm, to say the truth.... it hurts me when I was banned and it made me thought of registering another name in this forum... then creating the same fun havoc.

Spec will have to hunt and ban my whole ip address.

But then I cannot be that evil... I am no Jason. Just another guy who wants to have some fun. well I just have to toe the line like the rest.. another cog in the cogwheel.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Mizriath wrote:Spec will have to hunt and ban my whole ip address.
Registration at the moment is at the mercy of an Admin. Seems our free ride is over and the spam bots can defeat the captcha.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Hey Spec,

I've been getting a lot of spam through the RSS feed, but when i look for the original item, it tends not to exist. Instead I receive a forum error page. Is the spam coming from Sennadar forums or just my aggregator?

Thx,
DigitalMaestro
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

DigitalMaestro wrote:Hey Spec,

I've been getting a lot of spam through the RSS feed, but when i look for the original item, it tends not to exist. Instead I receive a forum error page. Is the spam coming from Sennadar forums or just my aggregator?

Thx,
DigitalMaestro
I'm guessing it's here - I usually delete them when I see them, that removes it from the RSS feed, but RSS readers generally don't delete posts which are no longer in the feed (Google Reader, for example will update posts if they've changed - but if they're outright disappeared, they don't delete it)
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Spec8472 wrote:
DigitalMaestro wrote:Hey Spec,

Thx,
DigitalMaestro
I'm guessing it's here - I usually delete them when I see them, that removes it from the RSS feed, but RSS readers generally don't delete posts which are no longer in the feed (Google Reader, for example will update posts if they've changed - but if they're outright disappeared, they don't delete it)
Ok. I have Google Reader, so that makes sense. Is there anything we can do to lower the access of spam to the forums? Maybe make membership harder to get?

-DigitalMaestro
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

DigitalMaestro wrote:Is there anything we can do to lower the access of spam to the forums? Maybe make membership harder to get?
At the moment all registrations need to be approved by an admin. If I can get another anti-spam solution, I'll use it. There's a few interesting options.