olympics?

cain412
Talent

olympics?

Post by cain412 »

I have an idea for a seasonal story for Fel to write about. what happened to the olympics in the subjugation universe? did they continue? were all the athletes sent of to be farm workers or what? I think it would be a neat side story with the olypmics coming up in a few weeks.
ThisAndThat1
Sorcerer

Re: olympics?

Post by ThisAndThat1 »

>... be a neat side story with the olypmics coming up in a few weeks.

I forgot about the games. Lucky me, I'm on this side of the pond so I can watch it on the SKY bird.
Lots more events, no talking heads plugging up the screen and it shows all of the country's not just the big 3 or four in the lead.
Not to USA bash (just the networks) but having seen it on the SKY channels in the past - the US coverage just sucks dust.
"Molon labe!" (Come and get them!) King Leonidas of Sparta, when asked to lay down his force's arms.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

If tyranny & oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. James Madison

I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

“The great object is, that every man be armed. [...] Every one who is able may have a gun.” Patrick Henry
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Thats a great idea.

A lot of subtexts to be played out , kinda of like the case of Jesse Owens in the 1936 summer Olympics in Berlin.Some cause for pride in a otherwise gloomy situation.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

cain412 wrote:I have an idea for a seasonal story for Fel to write about. what happened to the olympics in the subjugation universe? did they continue? were all the athletes sent of to be farm workers or what? I think it would be a neat side story with the Olympics coming up in a few weeks.
Hrm, yes. Might as well, just to round out the western imperialistic view in the subjugation universe.

*Puts on University cap* (I did some study on this as part of my degree)
Ever think why China got the Olympics? Well it was because a group of rich white guys decided China had played by the western rules enough to deserve it, by embracing capitalism. Is this necessarily a good thing?

I'm not necessarily saying the/an alternative, ie Mao style Communism, is a good thing but is 'capitalism' and 'democracy' really the best way? Should we be really be promoting it/forcing it on country so they can get good PR?

Ironically, I'm not actually against the Olympics. I like their ideal. But I wonder if promoting one ethnocentric world celebration as the highest pinnacle is really the best way.
*Takes off uni cap*
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
alkiera
Initiate

Post by alkiera »

As I'm sure you've heard before; capitalism/democracy is the worst form of economy/government... except for all the others.

Honestly, something like a benevolent dictatorship is really ideal and most efficient; the trick is finding a benevolent dictator, and the problems of how you deal with dissent without being indistinguishable from Castro, Hussein, or Kim Jong Ill.