Velocity Networks is now blocked by peerguardian.

Xel
Novice

Re: Velocity Networks is now blocked by peerguardian.

Post by Xel »

I've used Firefox for a some time now, ever since my last reformat which was about  a year ago? Anyways I find it much more stable and lighter in weight than IE.

Now are people here using FireFox or using Mozilla as there is a difference between the two.

Also, I've found that the mouse gestures plugin is a great in navigating the web. I suggest everyone to at least try it and see if it's to their liking.
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

canisd wrote:Forbidder, I too have started using firefox and forgot to import the IE bookmarks.

In IE go file, then import and export, and export the favorites to a html file

then in firefox go to bookmarks, manage bookmarks, then on that screen go to file, import and select the html file of the bookmarks

Note italics are the menus and sorry if message seems wierd its 0200 in the morning
Cool Thanks a lot, all I needed was the idea export IE bookmarks into a html file, and the rest I was able to figure out.  Now i got my IE bookmarks!  Yay!  Now I gotta sort them... Ouch..
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

taltos wrote:when i got firefox it automatically imported all favourites...
and i dislike tabbed browsing, too
aside of that i clearly prefer firefox..
I can see where tabbed browsing has it's benifits now.  I use both.  I untab when I need information from multiple browsers, and I tab, when the information isn't needed in other windows.

It's working out nicely for me.  I'm glad I started this thread for some random other reason.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I really don't see how anyone could not like tabs, it makes no sense what so ever, browsing a forum? just middle click (to open in a new tab in the background) on all the threads you want to read, go to the first one, read it, ctrl w and the next thread is ready to read.

Having tabs is SO much better than having a clogged task bar, browsing multiple pages and having them listed is different from listing apps etc the seperation with tabs is great.......

Ahhhh! Taltos is insane   :(
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Grey.  Tabs are great, espically since I like to surf the web while I'm playing online games during downtime, and tabbing takes up less memory on your computer than new instances of pages being opened.  Ctrl Tab works to switch between Tabs instead of Alt Tabing, so that's not a problem there.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

greymist wrote:I really don't see how anyone could not like tabs, it makes no sense what so ever, browsing a forum? just middle click (to open in a new tab in the background) on all the threads you want to read, go to the first one, read it, ctrl w and the next thread is ready to read.

Having tabs is SO much better than having a clogged task bar, browsing multiple pages and having them listed is different from listing apps etc the seperation with tabs is great.......

Ahhhh! Taltos is insane   :(
Ooooh thanks for the quick keys!  Now i can use my middle mouse button to open up a new tab!  But you gotta admit there are times where multiple browser windows are nice and you can compare things in two windows, or you can have one windows for some status thing, while doing stuff in the other.

Yeah I agree firefox saves memory when you tab a lot.  But if firefox ever crashes it would take all those tabs with it, while with IE if you opened them in separate processes, then the other processes can stay alive.

But how often does firefox really crash?
Last edited by Forbidder on Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

FireFox very rarely crashs, I'd have to say it crashs less than IE (which I'm forced to use at work).

I do sometimes have a couple firefox windows open each with their own lot of tabs if I have too many for one window or if I wish to keep a couple fields of browsing seperate.
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

well, now i'm at least confirmed...i'm insane
*hops crazily around* :P :P :P
maybe i'll give it a try..
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

taltos wrote:well, now i'm at least confirmed...i'm insane
*hops crazily around* :P :P :P
maybe i'll give it a try..
Confirmed a long time ago. ;D  You really should.  I switched over to Firefox and Thunderbird for my mail.  Only problem I'm having with my mail is having to redo the damned spam filter.  Oh well.

Support my brother.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

The only problem with Mozilla on Windows vs. Internet Explorer is that Mozilla is slower. Much slower (at least loading) on very low-end machines (below Pentium, 32MB RAM, Win95). Firefox is slightly faster, because it has lower memory footprint. K-Meleon, i.e. native Windows API web browser using Gecko engine (like Galeon or Epiphany uses GTK+ API) is faster, about as fast as Opera. But I don't think you can use Mozilla add-ons with that. Plugins yes.

There are a few overlays/extensions for IE, like MyIE2, Avant Browser or Google Toolbar which gives some of features of Mozilla and its add-ons. Like tabbed browsing.

P.S. I use Mozilla 1.6 (full suite, with Mail, Composer, Chat and Calendar) with Multizilla (not Tabbrowser Extension), MozTweaks, Linky, Diggler, LiveHTTPHeader and Inspect This (unused now, as I am not making web pages now) and Extension Unistaller (which I have not used yet, and which doesn't detect all extensions). And lots of search plugins from Mycroft. And some other sidebars: I recommend DevEdge Sidebar for webmasters here.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

ok, i gave it a try, and i have to admit it's kinda attractive...
*opinion revision*

the only drawback of non-IE browsers that remains is the sometimes lacking support by webdesigners who are too dumb/restricted/whatever to code their stuff so that i.e. firefox works properly...

*removes insanity print from his forehead*
Last edited by Taltos on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z.C.
Talent

Post by Z.C. »

For Firefox or Mozilla, an easy fix for this is the "IE View" extension. It adds a "Send to IE" link on your right-click menu, so thaton those pages that only render properly under IE, you can use IE with just a couple of clicks.

ZC
Forbidder
Sorcerer

Post by Forbidder »

recently playing a game with firefox, i've noticed it doesn't handle multi-clicking or triggering very well.  I mean there is this part of the game where we can buy stuff by clicking many times, before the page loads, and it will send out like 10 buy requests.  And we buy things 10 times, but with firefox it doesn't like it, and sometimes it crashes it when I try to force it to do it.

So I'm finding I have to open up my IE sometimes when I need to do that feature in the game.

But other than that I am loving firefox.

*don't you just love how I used the word it so many times to mean so many different things?  isn't it confusing?  :-P*
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

forbidder wrote:*don't you just love how I used the word it so many times to mean so many different things?  isn't it confusing?  :-P*
I'm confused all of the time anyways, so it doesn't bother me.  Word.

Support my brother.