Telepathic immunity

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Telepathic immunity

Post by ANTIcarrot »

The following thoughts recently occurred to me while trying to explain to a rather dim individual (in the Outsider comic forum) why having technology hundreds or thousands of years more advanced than your opposition does not guarantee you a victory. I thought it might also have relevance here.

Faey telepaths can read the mind of a human, but can't read the mind of a machine. I'm thinking of characters like Robocop, or Major Kusanagi who have chips directly implanted in their brains. Faey technology seems advanced enough to produce this kind of thing. So what level of cybernetic enhancement/replacement can they tolerate before their abilities fuzzle out? Ditto for the kimdori, who I believe are unable to talk to non-biogenic computers.

Faey doctors might view this kind of upgrading, or brain injury treatment, as unethical, because they might view the cure as being worse than the disease. But if loss of telepathy is the only side effect, then there's no reason why other races would be so picky. Humans have a long history of deciding that some recovery is better than none. And of course if you're trying to turn a few million human slaves into soldiers that can stand up to telepaths, you can afford to lose a percentage in the conversion process.
I is an certified nut
dellstart
Child of Niami

Re: Telepathic immunity

Post by dellstart »

Interesting idea.
Though if I understand you right, I think it would be a a major plus in enhancing already non Telepathic indviduals.You would be leveling the playing field, by removing the Faey's most potent weapon. Thus in that case , its a plus.
For a Telepathic person to do so, I think would be as horrific , as someone amputating both legs. yes your alive but at what price?
furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Post by furry_wolf2001b »

If the gain is useful and it will keep you alive..
Or the loss a minor one.
Or simply necessary.
Miss spelling sweed in tha house! ;)
hoppy
Sorcerer

Post by hoppy »

Robocop, and Major Kusanagi seem like bad examples to me. Robocop's brain was left largely intact. The majors may have had allot of augmentation, but the one of the primary themes was the enter-mingling of man and machine and she had several psychic experiences. The technology used in ghost in the shell did not replace so much as extend, subsume, and ugrade. The hardware may have changed some but it acted the same way, the ghost was still there. Another example of this is weber's Path of Fury or In fury born. Anything that eliminated psychic presence would be a copy not the original, and seen as a abomination.