woohoo!

GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: woohoo!

Post by GBLW »

It's a custom build.
Well, what OS are you using? Maybe one of us can help. :?
I bought a system last year and the bios came set for an additional soundboard, but I wanted to use the onboard sound system, so I had to modify the bios. It's just a soft switch.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Well since this is a new computer I'm guessing that it has Vista installed in it. If that is the case the No Sound/No sound card found error is a common occurance with it. Vista or as I call it Crashista has many No sound threads on the net Goggle with exact phrase: No Sound with Vista and you can find these threads with suggestions on how other people fixed their problem with it. Also if it has Vista on it make sure the driver they loaded for the sound card is Vista compatible, they might be using an old driver.

Just as an FYI from my experience dealing with computers going all the way back to the old 286 (shudders) days is that a lot of people have old drivers on their brand new computer. Whenever I got a new comp I always went to the websites for my various componets and downloaded the newest drivers, IE: Nvidia for a Nvidia Graphics card. over 75% of the time those drivers were almost 2 generations old. An example of this is the Nvidia Gefore 8800 card, it was probably sitting boxed up on a shelf for the last 6 months waiting to be shipped and Nvidia came out with an update to that driver in the last month. If the person that built the thing didn't do the updates from the net you have old drivers.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Vista? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought custom JUST for XP.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

Checking if your onboard sound is active in the BIOS is a lot easier than many make it believe.
What you have to do is the following:
* Boot your computer
* During the first 10-30 seconds you will be in the BIOS section, during this time you have to hit DEL, F1, ESC, sometimes Space or Backspace, but those are less common.
Most of the BIOS use DEL.
* Once you are in the BIOS, you need to find the Integrated Peripherals, this may be named slightly differently, but essentially it's where you will find stuff like onboard sound, onboard graphics, etc.
* Inside that selection, the onboard sound should be fairly obvious, just turn it on, then leave the BIOS again while saving the changes (by default, F10).

And that should be it :)
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Good description and methodology, Quindo Ma.
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Well, Itook it back, and it's a configuration issue. The BIOS had nothing in it about sound, so they have to install it, which I can't do here. I'll get it back on Monday. So, taking it back was the proper move.

It's a good thing I did, they put the wrong power supply in it. Geforce 8800s require min 500W power supply, it only had 450. They're gonna put the PS in it they were supposed to while they're at it, like 550/600.
montie1123
Sorcerer

Post by montie1123 »

Talk about lucking out, trying to run that vid card like that would have burnt something out real fast. Atlest its nothing major, and sence you have time your unable to fill by playing games whens the next chapter due :twisted:
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Games? No. Study? Yes. ;)

The only game I was gonna play was logging onto Everquest after i got it installed to make sure it works. But I won't be playing any games for a while, not til finals are over on Friday.
PsychoWulf
Novice

Post by PsychoWulf »

Fel wrote:Games? No. Study? Yes. ;)

The only game I was gonna play was logging onto Everquest after i got it installed to make sure it works. But I won't be playing any games for a while, not til finals are over on Friday.
NO NO NO!!! BAD FEL. No Evercrack
"War is an ugly thing. But not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill-
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I dont' play as much as I used to, that's for sure. I've played a grand total of maybe 4 hours in the last 3 months.

But, now that I'll have a better computer come Monday, I'd like to play again, at least on a very casual basis. I do enjoy the game. ;)
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:I dont' play as much as I used to, that's for sure. I've played a grand total of maybe 4 hours in the last 3 months.

But, now that I'll have a better computer come Monday, I'd like to play again, at least on a very casual basis. I do enjoy the game. ;)
Fel, you should try wow, at least that game is more solo friendly, meaning if your bored for an hour, you can log on and go do things without having to find a group to do it.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I played WoW for 4 months. In that 4 months, I got 2 toons to 70 solo.

Got bored with it. ;)
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:I played WoW for 4 months. In that 4 months, I got 2 toons to 70 solo.

Got bored with it. ;)
heh nice, I used to Love Ultima Online before they split the worlds into the Pking/carebear lands..

and I loved AC too (Asheron's Call)

Oh with the new rig did you get a new monitor? I went a few weeks ago and bought the Gateway 24in 1080p monitor, and I love it.
freethrow
Sorcerer

Post by freethrow »

Hey Fel,

Congrats on the new system. Sounds like a great one.

Fel, I have been working on and building computers for 23 years. There are a couple things to check in regards to your sound problem. As mentioned, checking the BIOS to be sure that your Audio device is enabled may be the problem. Just boot your system and you should see on the screen, before windows starts to load, to press DEL or F1 or F2 to enter setup. There are too many different BIOS versions to say where to go next but look for something like ON BOARD AUDIO and then be sure it is enabled and then Save Settings and exit. Most BIOS versions now allow you to press F10 and it will ask you if you want to save settings or not.

First though, you probably should confirm if you have an actual sound card rather than using your built in sound that is probably on the mother board. Possibly you have both? You could have your speakers plugged into the on board sound and they need to be plugged into the sound card instead? If there is a sound card you do not want to enable the onboard that you find in the BIOS.

Most sound cards use the green port for sound but some use blue. You will have to trial and error there..

If still no sound try and open the case and locate the sound card. It is quite possible that the card was never seated fully into it's slot and just by lugging it home etc it no longer has a good enough connection for Windows to recognize it. After locating the sound card, if there is one, press it firmly into the slot all along its edge. It may even be necessary to remove the card and re-insert it?

If still no sound you may need to take it back to the dealer? I know for a fact that if you are using VISTA there have been some really ticked off users out there. Especially if you have SP1 installed on Vista. This could be your problem also and maybe best to have the dealer remove SP1.

Good Luck, Fel. Post if you have any more questions at all and I will do my very best to help. I will even give you my cell phone number if you can give me an email address to send it to you. Lord knows I owe you greatly for all of the excellent reading you have given me.

Freethrow, Randall

PS, Have a busy day here. I am in the Louisville Ky area and it's Derby Day so I won't check online too often but will make an effort to.
boballab
Sui'Kun

Post by boballab »

Fel wrote:Vista? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought custom JUST for XP.

Good man! by the time Microsoft drops support of XP, Vista will finally be in its beta form :roll:
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment