Galloway Sucks, Edit:  impatient reader, post=jest

furry_wolf2001b
Katzh-dashi

Re: Galloway Sucks, Edit:  impatient reader, post=jest

Post by furry_wolf2001b »

Wow!
2 more swedes in this tread besides me! :o :D 8)

Hej, hej p er. :)

Its amazing...
Miss spelling sweed in tha house! ;)
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

weresmilodon wrote: But you're right. Leaving people ignorant just because they can't read or speak a civilized language isn't really fair... ;) :D ;D
Just because I don't speak Sweedish doesn't mean I don't understand what your saying. There is such a thing as an online Sweedish-English dictionary ;).
And what do you class as a civilized language? Because I bet if you ask anyone, they will say that their language is civilized.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

journeywoman wrote:And what do you class as a civilized language? Because I bet if you ask anyone, they will say that their language is civilized.
Not according to Greymist:
greymist wrote:what a bastardized mis-match of languages that english is

And personally I have to agree.
English certainly isn't civilised. (damn Americans with their "-ized" and other whacky spelling -- and getting everyone else to spell incorrectly)

English isn't civilised, elegant, etc. It's just a heck of a lot more convenient for me if everyone else speaks it (because I don't really know much of any other language, though I'm willing to learn other languages if someone wanted to teach me)
Last edited by Spec8472 on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Well, I count Swedish as a civilised language. Because Im Swedish. It's my language. But, Ill readily admit that Swedish is a bit too stiff to read comfortably, at least to me. I prefer English when I read.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
negativecow
Initiate

Post by negativecow »

well they do say that swedish is soposed tp be the 3 hardest language to lurn, and aqording to me their is no sutch thing as a civilized language. language has noting to do with being civiliced imho.

btw
sewdish has to much englich in it to count as a civilized language if english dosent ;P
pets: just in case we run out of food
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Blame the 'tough' teenagers for the English. They somehow think that it makes them more tough to mix in English words when they speak... But it sounds pretty stupid.

The more civilised Swedish people know better then that.

Besides, other languages keep massacring Swedish words, like Smrgsbord; Smorgasbord, it's just awful to hear...
Last edited by Weresmilodon on Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick
Sorcerer

Post by rick »

acording to my father 'english is the bastard offspring of Norman men at arms  trying  to make dates with saxon barmaids" sound like a goood discription myelf .
My mind is a terrable thing to leave empty, It comes up with weird things to fill the empty places.
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

weresmilodon wrote: Det r inte rttvist att prata Svenska hr!
;)
yes, i kinda thought that that would have been right, afterwards, but then the rhyme would have been destroyed...  ;D

@ negativecow: at least valid for the german-speaking amongst us: i don't think that swedish is the 3rd hardest language to learn.. for me it reads like a mix of english and german with a lot of misspellings.. when a was in sweden some years ago (didn't know swedish by then), we were able to decipher the meanings of most texts/ads/manuals quite easily..
speaking swedish is another matter..

taltos
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Most people trying to learn Swedish seams to have problems with , and , both spoken and written. As for other languages around here, I believe they are all related. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian is almost like different dialects more then languages. Not that I would be surprised about that, what with them having been a part of Sweden in the past...
negativecow
Initiate

Post by negativecow »

taltos wrote:
@ negativecow: at least valid for the german-speaking amongst us: i don't think that swedish is the 3rd hardest language to learn.. for me it reads like a mix of english and german with a lot of misspellings.. when a was in sweden some years ago (didn't know swedish by then), we were able to decipher the meanings of most texts/ads/manuals quite easily..
speaking swedish is another matter..

taltos
its all about the grammer and all the exeptions to the rules as far a i have hurd eny way what i have hurd its soposed to go

1 finish
2 kantonise
3 swedish

and as for german we swedish think that its is allsow very esey to lurn but that has to do with were our languages are derived from
Mateo
Talent

Post by Mateo »

weresmilodon wrote:...Not that I would be surprised about that, what with them having been a part of Sweden in the past...
That should be "..having been a part of DENMARK in the past..."   I believe we (the Danes that is) ruled in the Kalmar union  ;)
I must say I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of Scandinavians on this board  :)
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

negativecow wrote: what i have hurd its soposed to go
1 finish
2 kantonise
3 swedish
I think English and Mandarin must be up there though. English is difficult enough and I'm a native speaker. Mandarin (my latest challenge) is easy in some ways but the pronounciation and characters :o :o!
One thing I can say is Kantonese has an advantage/disadvantage in only being an oral language.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

i think that german definitely ranks somewhere between 4 and 10., where i put most languages with symbols instead of "alphabet" like japanese etc right on top of the list..

as many english-native speakers confirmed the grammar and articles (der/die/das, similar to swedish den/det) and writing so long sticked-together nouns gave them hell of a time when learning..
Last edited by Taltos on Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
negativecow
Initiate

Post by negativecow »

well if you count it that way i think every civilized language is prabably hard to lurn depending on who you are i mean is mandarin or japansie hard for a chinise persen to lurn probably not comepared to english or eny other westen language

i relly dont know were i hurd what i sayed before but you cant relly compare who hard a language is to lurn with how hard it would be for you there are 6 billion other people out ther to

there is no sutch thing as a esey language to lurn there are just mor or les complex languages
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

It is always easier to learn the language from the same language group, or at least the same group of groups ;-). For example if you are German, you might find it easier to learn language from germanic (?) group of languages, like e.g. English, than for example one of slavic ones like Polish or Russian, or even harder baltic one like Lithuanian.

Besides, one might have trouble with languages which needs good ear (like Mandarin) when one doesn't have one...

Hmm... this topic is quite far from the one that started this thread.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")