Harry Potter ***possible spoilers within***

Fel
Weavespinner

Harry Potter ***possible spoilers within***

Post by Fel »

I just finished it.

Might I say...Wow. It was OUTSTANDING.

Rowling's ability to converge 50 different plotlines into a single climax impressed me mightily.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Re: Harry Potter ***possible spoilers within***

Post by Mistra »

lol, i started reading the second i bought it (at the release at midnight) and i pulled an allnighter, 10 hours later i read it and i was deeply impressed
Spoiler
Show
i'm happy she didn't kill him though, i'd be in a foul mood for a week or 2. i especially liked the fact ron and hermy got married, i've been waiting for them to know they love eachother for the past 5 books.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

User Friendly's take on the ending:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20070722
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Snape kills Dumbledore
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

User Friendly is hillarious (if you're a geek, otherwise you don't understand half of it)

and greymist: that was the other book, in this book harry
Spoiler
Show
has some meaningfull conversations with dumbledore
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

I know it was from the last book :P I'm in a good enough mood today that I decided against posting any spoilers from the newest book.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

And I told someone that I did not read the books except watching the movies. I predicted the ending was Harry Potter, would through the powers from his parents and some from Voldemat would use it against Voldemat himself and blew up the world because that is the only way Voldemat would die, destroy the ties of the world when Harry would float up in a magic bubble through space .......
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

I finished it about a week ago, I couldn't wait, having nothing to do, so I got a leaked e-copy. Yesterday finished my second reading on paper this time.
I was rather impressed at how bravely Rowling lops off positive character's head. No one can say HP is a kids book now. :D I still think the fifth was the best one.
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

I'm just mad that she killed off some of my favourite characters
Spoiler
Show
Tonks and Lupin
. Other then that it's a great ending to the series. I'm sad it's over though.
bbobb
Novice

Post by bbobb »

Overall, I thought it was an excellent ending to an excellent series. The few quibbles I have are very minor and I don't think anybody could write a seven book series totaling however many thousands of pages that HP does without some minor quibbles.

The only comment, I have is that if she really meant her statements about not writing anymore about Harry and his world, why didn't she beef up the epilog a little? She left so many things wide open for additional tales both about Harry who is only 36 at the time of the epilog - far younger than many of the characters in the first seven books - and about the next generation of potential troublemakers/world savers. Hey, that kind of reminds me of a certain online author I've read.

I also have a question that wasn't resolved. Why doesn't Hagrid like cats? He seems to like just about every other beast known to wizard kind. What's the problem with cats? Given that he has Fang, it seems that it's not just a problem with domesticated animals. I doubt Filch and Mrs. Norris where around fifty years ago when he was a student, so it probably isn't bad memories of her, though I guess he has had to deal with her as long as she has been around, but not when she and Filch have any real power over him. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with the disappointment of never knowing.

bbobb
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Yeah, I have the same objection about the epilogue. If not the answer the many unimportant but very interesting questions, at least to give same info about the rest of the characters. It felt a bit dry and meager.
I hated
Spoiler
Show
Fred
dying to,
Spoiler
Show
the twins
were my favourite. :/
Wicketklown001
Sorcerer

Post by Wicketklown001 »

bbobb wrote:The only comment, I have is that if she really meant her statements about not writing anymore about Harry and his world, why didn't she beef up the epilog a little? She left so many things wide open for additional tales both about Harry who is only 36 at the time of the epilog - far younger than many of the characters in the first seven books - and about the next generation of potential troublemakers/world savers. Hey, that kind of reminds me of a certain online author I've read.
bbobb
Actually I seem to recall seeing her in an interview recently where she said she may at some point in the future write another book (or series) set in the harry potter universe (not centered on Harry but still in the same universe) but it wasn't anything she had planned currently. So perhaps the epilogue was to leave herself open for future ideas.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

I finished it Sunday night and had many minor quibbles.
Spoiler
Show
  • 1. Disappointed in the lack of resolution between Snape and Harry
    2. Got really lost in the whole Elder Wand/Draco Malfoy thing. I'm told I need to reread the tower scene in the Half Blood Prince to understand this.
    3. Thought Harry coming back from the dead was cheesy. (Secretly glad it happened, but it smelled of brie.)
    4. WHAT WAS THAT WHIMPERING THING UNDER THE BENCH during Harry/Dumbledore's long talk in the hazy beyond? Was that supposed to be Voldemort?
    5. Too much time spent in the damn tent
As I said, minor quibbles, but #2 really got to me. Had me putting down the book and going, "HUH???" instead of enjoying the finale.

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Spoiler
Show
Actually I wandered about the wand thing a lot too...I get the idea all right, but it has a lot of loose ends.
The important thing that happened on the top of the tower when Dumbledore died was Draco Disarming him. Which seems wasn't the plan Dumbledore had because Disarming is a way of defeating the owner of the wand and causes the wand to change allegiance.
All fine with me thus far. Though this means that every time a wizard is Disarmed his wand changes sides...
But why did Harry become master of the Elder wand when he took Draco's wand in Malfoy Manor. The thing wasn't even in the room... :/
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

Spoiler
Show
no, but it's a powerfull magical item, it could "feel" Harry beat malfoy